“Beautiful, Except For A Few Tiny Niggles”

Hotel Metropole Monte-Carlo
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Monte-Carlo
GreenLeadersBronze level
Marske U.k.
“Beautiful, Except For A Few Tiny Niggles”
Reviewed 14 October 2012

This was the second time I have stayed at this wonderful hotel. However there were a few little issues which 'niggled me' Firstly, this time I booked through Amex Platinum which offered an upgrade to the next level. During my first visit in 2011 I stayed in a Superior room which is basically the cheapest available. Very nice, yes, but small with a view over the hotel courtyard. So this time, having been upgraded to the dizzy heights of a Deluxe room I expected something better. Infact the only difference was the bathroom which was bigger. The actual 'bedroom' area was only 16 sq. metres, the rest of the space taken up by the entrance hall and bathroom. That said, the room was spotless and the bed just the best ! There is no iron or board in the rooms so I had to contact housekeeping to have this done for me. I had three items pressed and was told it would cost 10 Euros each...o.k. I accepted that, only to find on the receipt that 30% was added. Why ? A small case of 'taking the ****' I think ! The last of the minuses relates to 'boy racers' The hotel has a long entrance which is a driveway as well as the way in and out for residents. Why the hell do idiots have to try and impress by using the hotel entrance as a drag strip ? I feared for my life on one particular occassion..and not an F1 driver in sight ! O.K. So now the good bits....and there are plenty : Staff are wonderful in every department of the hotel, very attentative without being overpowering and treat you with total respect.... no matter what size your wallet is. The ambiance is classy but relaxed and the interior design is stunning with wonderful floral decorations throughout the foyer/lobby areas. Finally...the food....WOW, WOW, WOW ! I had two evening meals in the bar area which is served via the Joel Roubuchon restaurant. Oh my God, I have never tasted food so good and I never thought mashed potated or 'puree pomme de terre, could taste in such a way that suitable superlatives fail me ! This is definately something, (£ssss) permitting, lovers of fine food should experience, it is just amazing ! I can understand why this hotel was voted best in the world a few years ago. I will defiantely be back, hopefully with my wife next time when I would love to take her to Roubouchon's and Yoshi ! Better start saving right now !

Room Tip: Ask to see room /s first. I was shown a junior suite in anticipation of future visits which was very...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank CookieMarskeU_K_

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Nice, France
Reviewed 12 October 2012

Really Sophisticated ,stylish hotel with out being intimidating. Great value and excellent location in heart of Monte Carlo .
Service was impeccable .shopping centre below has anything you would need . Lovely walk up to the Palace is a must.

Room Tip: I was on the 6 th floor overlooking courtyard . Very quite and sunny
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Kathy2908
chatham
Reviewed 3 October 2012

I stayed here on business for the Monaco Superyacht show in September . I found the location, service and overall experience excellent. he staff were very attentive and I had no complaints.
Cannot comment on food or drink as we did not eat in the hotel.
Location is great both for business and pleasure..just round the corner from the Cafe de Paris.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
Cambridge
Reviewed 1 October 2012

My husband and I stayed in a junior suite at the Metropole, we were told that the pool would probably be finished, as it was advertised Summer 2012, the fact was, this was impossible the scaffolding was still up and there was no chance of it being finished for at least three months after we left. On the first evening we went to the bar before going out two glasses of half full champagne cost 50 euros, a total rip off. The breakfast was the best experience lovely attentive staff, who we recognised from a previous stay. We decided not to use the Spar as it had been relocated to a hotel room on the second floor, but still charging full price, the hotel sadly has moved towards the super rich Russian/Arab market pricing others who are not prepared to be ripped of out of the market.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CambridgeTrees
Suburban Philadelphia
Reviewed 28 September 2012 via mobile

We had 5 rooms (Deluxe Jr Suites) in Sept 2012 overnight. Although the hotel is a mere 2 mins from the Hotel du Paris and Casino, it feels far away and secluded because unlike just around the corner, it is not teeming with tourists, cars, etc. the staff are charming and our rooms were beautiful. Very cheery, bright and huge bathrooms. We walked over to the Fairmont ( we considered booking there but thankfully chose the Metropole) and although the view was spectacular and nothing is very "far" in Monte Carlo, the Fairmont felt like a large " conventiony" hotel. The pool rooftop looked very nice. Metropole's is still under redecor but if as nice as the rest of the place, it promises to be pretty amazing. The old world baroque style Metropole feels like the perfect place to be in Monaco. Monte Carlo is expensive so be prepared to pay but wow! What a place. Stunning - the views, the cars, the yachts, the glam!

Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 September 2012

The Metropole has completely changed my view of hotels in Monaco. I have had the misfortune of staying elsewhere in the Principality over the last 7 years, and emerged grinding my teeth at the lack of service. The staff at the Metropole were charming, even perhaps a little effusive (definitely not something I'm used to in Monaco), they took the trouble to learn my name, remember the little things, such as the kind of tea or timings of services that I liked. I felt completely at home, and luckily avoided encountering any of the excesses in the lobby referred to by a previous posters. The highlight of the lobby for me were the flower arrangements which were simply awe-inspiring. The rooms were well designed and all enveloping in their luxurious comfort (just like the showers!). Others have praised the bathrooms and I certainly loved the various options in the shower, the separate bath, loo and basins in my bathroom. I look forward to seeing what they do with the swimming pool, which sadly was still under construction. Excess noise (of which there was some during the day) was quickly dealt with by a call to reception. All in all, I shall look forward to my return to the Metropole, it made me feel somewhat better disposed to Monaco, as a result.

Room Tip: I had room 509, a beautiful double aspect suite. The sun moved round during the day and you had a v...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
UK
Reviewed 20 September 2012 via mobile

Although accustomed to the bandit territory that is Monaco and the inevitable uplift in rates when one comes to check out, the Metropole raises (or should that be lowers) the bar to a new level.
The fluidity of rates is augmented by a fluidity of faculties - the pool "closed till late summer 2012" is still a noisy construction site in the autumn and the spa facilities a Heath Robinson substitute.

Most galling is the contempt with which the staff treat residents. So a request to eat a sandwich outside in the sun is greated with a "Non monsieur, la terrasse est fermé!".

A request for a hot chocolate in the lobby on returning to the hotel in the evening is greated with "Non Monsieur vous pouvez commander le Room Service." this latter response is particularly galling as the night staff have no qualms about hosting all manner of hookers in the lobby, to the extent that these "ladies" were actively spanking their clients with abandon in full view of passers by on the evening I had the misfortune to be there.

But just don't try and order a hot chocolate, it's beyond the pale...

• Stayed September 2012