“Superb experience, loved this hotel”

Hotel Metropole Monte-Carlo
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Monte-Carlo
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 13 October 2013

Fabulous stay at the Metropole. Stayed for 2 nights for a special birthday. We'd mentioned the reason for our stay on booking and were looked after from the time we arrived until we left, with little touches such as birthday platter and candle delivered to the room, rose petals in the bathroom and birthday dessert specially made at the Joel Robouchon restaurant. The staff are wonderful and were there to greet us as we walked in the door and took us on a tour of the hotel facilities. We dined at Joel Robuchon - the food and service is just exquisite. The small tasting platters are sublime works of art, beautifully presented and delicious. The service was attentive without being overbearing - our waiter even noticed we had swapped plates as we'd shared all of the dishes. We appreciated that the sommelier gave us information on our wine choice but did not push us to choose something more expensive and we were able to relax knowing that the service was there if you wanted it but nothing was forced on you. All in all this hotel is first class. I would recommend it in an instant and would love to go back.

Reviewed 11 October 2013

This used to be our favourite hotel and remains lovely in the bar and restaurant areas - but dont even bother with the hotel part. We stayed in and unrefurbished jr suite. the carpet was worn, everything except the TV was dated. the window with its romeo and juliette was tiny making the whole room dingy. the outdoor pool was a joke, a restaurant round it making it unusable. Staff were not helpful and no recognition was given other than the standard upgrade even though we were LHW unlimited and regular guests, dont expect anything other than what you are allocated- you wont get it, even if you are staying on their "celebration package" watch out - the meal offered in this package at joel roubouchons is the celebration menu... a choice of chicken or pig- nothing off the main menu and the staff rush you through and cant wait for you to get out.
ESPA spa great and highly reccomended, Bar reccomended, restaurant (not celebration menu) reccomended, just dont stay here!!

Room Tip: stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank dreamytraveller
Reviewed 8 October 2013

I stayed at the Metropole for two nights with my friend on Saturday 5th October. From the moment we were greeted at the door we were treated like superstars! The hotel lobby is beautiful and have a different theme each month and the most amazing aroma. Check in was very easy and the staff on the check in desk were most helpful and welcoming. our room (a junior suite) was located on the 6th floor and had a nice seating area, a huge bed and a bathroom with bath, shower, two sinks, toilet and hairdryer. There are ample amount of towels so you do not need to take any. The bed was one of the most comfortable I've ever slept in.

Our room overlooked a road, but it wasn't noisy at all the we eve waved to the apartments across the street. The breakfast served in the Joel Rubouchon restaurant is out of this world!! There is so much choice and the chefs are happy to make something at your request. The home made bread is delicious as are the pastries (both made on site).

We drank in the bar both nights (cocktails from 16 euros each and glasses of wine from 10 euros each) and again the staff were fabulous. We were treated to complimentary nuts, olives and a selection of nibbles from the chef (different each night).

The pool area (shut from October - May) was very relaxing. The pool is heated and again their are loads of towels at the pool so no need to bring any. The Odyssey restaurant along with the pool have been redesigned by Karl Largerfeld and are stunning.

The spa has a sauna, steam room and ice experience. We used all of these are they were very enjoyable. There are dressing gowns in the room can be used to wear down to the spa. The hotel is located about 200 meters from the entrance to the Casino and you get complimentary entrance when staying at the Metropole.

I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 October 2013

The hotel will need to be updated , the juice is a bit old ...
They don't have the LHW level and standard ...
The welcome is very so so and poor : no welcome drink ! no fruit in the room , no bottle ...
The turn down was perfect .
Room was confortable .
Concierges are efficient but not very friendly just mecanic staff ...
Food at Robuchon was delicious but Chef Cussac was not there on monday , service was excellent .
Breakfast was very poor and not at the standards , staff is very busy with just some tables ... I have to wait my tea during 20 mn .. The buffet was poor , you pay a lot when I ordered benedictin eggs they told me there was an extra for that and same also extra for hash brown !! totally disagracefull for a such place !! they have to improve a lot for breakfast ...
There is not management on duty on the earth like house keeper to see if everything is ok , I suppose they are just coming just for some VIP , other people are not important for them ...
Good thing is the pool with good service .

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank fabriciodd
Reviewed 2 October 2013

I'm honestly surprised to see so many positive reviews about this place because someone who really knows about luxury hotels would never be satisfied with this hotel.

Old small room that needs urgent refurbishment (i should have taken pictures). Everything in our room was old except TV. The AC looked like a radio box from the 50's. We had to call to ask for amenities as we had nothing except shower gel in the room.

The only positive experience was the restaurant Joel Rebouchon - perfect place for dinner, delicious food and the Japanese restaurant was also lovely. Both have fairly earned Michelin stars.

Now we do not mind to pay for an exquisite dinner but 6 euros for a small plastic bottle of water from the minibar isn't a little too much? Shouldn't it be complimentary at 500 euros/night? It's like saying "Since you can pay 500 euros/night you should as well pay all the extras at any price"

We stayed at Hermitage a few days before and we thought it was better than Metropole even though it was very similar but did look like they invested in some improvements. So if you are choosing between these 2 - definitely Hermitage. (see review about Hermitage).

Otherwise, we loved Monaco, very pretty and lovely atmosphere!

3  Thank Alina D
Reviewed 28 September 2013

We stayed at this hotel about 2 weeks ago before commencing a cruise from Monte Carlo to Athens. Our stay at the Metropole was absolutely delightful. The hotel is top class with great amenities, comfortable rooms and a very attentive staff..it is not cheap, but you pay for what you get!

Reviewed 24 September 2013

I arrived to be greeted by name and welcomed back. My room wasn't ready, so I was offered a couple of other options, but chose to wait for the room I'd been assigned and had lunch in the lobby. (Salade nicoise, delicious). The general manager came to collect me and take me up to the room. On being shown it, unprompted, the manager suggested that I might want a different room as the original smelled of tobacco. I was eventually installed in room 606, which was lovely - smaller than some, but a nice view and, as I was on my own, more than adequate. A very comfortable bed - importantly, not split in the middle to form a twin option. One of the highlights of my stay was dinner at Yoshi, where, because I made a late booking, I was given a seat at the bar - completely fascinating to watch the chefs at work and delicious food. Nothing was too much trouble for the concierge - we managed to locate my favourite tea, sort out bookings for restaurants and park colleagues cars. I look forward to my return.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business