“mIxed feelings”

Hotel Hermitage Monte-Carlo
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Monte-Carlo
Reviewed 23 September 2011

This was our 1st stop on our honeymoon and at first i must say that we were overwhelmed; from the grandiose building/setting to the beautifully pointed rooms. From the dedicated service to the bottle of champagne and macaroons delivered to us with impeccable timing to our room.
It is hard to fault The Hermitage; however, small things make a difference and: the leaking floor in the shower is an amateur building mistake. My wife and I both needed an ironing board and when requested one were told that someone will come by to take our clothes to be pressed. We were obviously impressed by the prompt service, (to be expected from such an establishment). What was less impressive was the 30Euro bill for this priviledge. Very naughty and was never mentioned to us when we accepted the service.
However, overall a fabulous experience. Worth opting for sea view. Had lunch at the MIchelin 1* restaurant The Vistamar before we left. brilliant food and great value at 35Euros/two courses with wine and coffee.

Room Tip: sea view a must!
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 19 September 2011

Although I would give the hotel a top grade rating the down side is the service and the attitude of the staff working in the Hirondelle restaurant which is the restaurant serving the Spa and sunbathing area. Five times we had to ask for bread which was sitting in a basket no more than 3 metres from the table and had to wait twenty minutes for one dish of ice cream. Time and again we asked various waiters and time again they failed to produce the necessary standard of service one would expect in such a hotel. My advice, don't go to the Hirondelle for lunch.

Room Tip: Sea view - superb
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 September 2011

I stayed in this hotel for 3 nights. It is stunning and very impressed for the decor, the service and the breakfast. However, the 2nd night was the nightmare for me, the day when I got up I saw a little bug crawling on the duvet, I didn't even pay any attention, I just swept it away. After I had the shower I noticed that there are lots of red spots full in my arms and suddenly I remember the bug, so I reported to the receptionist and I asked them what kind of bug is it as I've never seen it before. I showed them the bug which I killed, it is full of blood. But the staff said they never seen it before too, so they asked the housekeeper to change the new bed sheet for me. While they are changing the sheet I found there were at least another 6 to 8 little bugs were crawling on the bed. the housekeeper called the front desk again, and they changed the other room for me. At night, I requested for the inhouse doctor as my arm are swelled badly than in the morning, but they only suggested me to go to the pharmacist. Next day when I checked out, the conciege kindly asked me how I feel? I said it seemed the spots becoming more than the day before. And none of any apology is sent to me from the GM. I am back home almost one week now, the condition is never getting better even after the medication. Today I decided to see the doctor, when I showed him it even shocked him too. He asked me which hostel i was staying.. I told him it is 5 stars hotel !!!!! He told me it is "BED BUG", he even printed it out for me to read, he said it will take another 2 to 3 week to be recovered !! So next time when you stay in this hotel make sure you check the bed before you sleep, and especially don't stay in Room 284. Good Luck !

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
5  Thank B P
MktgSBM, Directeur général at Hotel Hermitage Monte-Carlo, responded to this reviewResponded 19 October 2011

On the 31st of august 2011, the Hotel Hermitage has certified the presence of bed bugs in one of their rooms. This is a very rare case for any hotel situated in cities. The management team has immediately conducted all necessary actions to resolve this problem and had done its utmost to make sure that the guest could still enjoy the rest of her stay at the hotel. It seems that the presence of the bedbugs was not originally from the hotel but appears to have come from the luggage of previous guests staying in the same room. In the meantime, the General Manager has contacted the guests to express his sincere apologies with hope of welcoming her back to the Hotel Hermitage.

Reviewed 26 August 2011

This is definitely one of the top 3 hotels in Monte Carlo. This hotel was exactly what you would expect in Monaco. Most of the rooms have fantastic Sea view rooms. The architecture and finishes of each room were very impressive. They have a very nice spa and restaurant. Room service pricing was a bit expensive but about what you should expect when visiting Monaco.
The Monte Carlo country club is a fun track. It sits high in the mountain above Monaco and provides some great views. If you are into cars make sure to visit the Princes private collection which is open to the public (for a price). if you visit during the Grand Prix some of the rooms are blocked by scaffolding and viewing platforms. Take a car or train to Nice or Cannes for the day.
The casino is nice to visit but very small. We lost $1,000 in our first 30 min there.

Jimmyz is a fun dance club that many locals patronize.

Room Tip: Ask for the highest floor with the sea view!
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank CarteBlancWine
Reviewed 6 August 2011

We went to Montecarlo in July 2011 to relax and enjoy all that it has to offer - and we got in this hotel.
Upon our arrival, we were given an upgraded room and the hotel has incredible sea v.
Service is what you’d expect from that kind of hotels. Every employee greets you with a smile and a polite salutation, and many call you by name. I can’t remember the name of a local waiter on the terrace. Top notch service!
Will definitely visit this hotel again.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 July 2011

We spent three nights at the hotel on Honeymoon from a wedding in England. Outstanding place with wonderful marina views and superb unobtrusive service. Very central to Monaco with access to a wide range of facilities through it's sister hotels.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 July 2011

On the positive side this is a beautiful building, the staff were welcoming and helpful, and the spa is excellent. However I've stayed in far better hotels - some costing as much as this one, some far less.
My room was small and overlooked a side street where they were doing renovations on a neighbouring building - it wasn't quiet.
Breakfast was pretty uninspiring - the sort of thing you might expect in a Travelodge.
I found the way all the staff said hello to you as you walked past grated a bit after a while. It's the sort of thing badly run organisatinos mistake for good customer service.
Most annoying of all was thier refusal to let me have an iron in the room. I can understand why - in a period building they can't run the fire risk. But that being the case, in a hotel in this price bracket, they really should offer a free ironing service, not charge 10 euros to iron your shirt!

Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business