“One of the most luxurious (and pretentious) one ever!”

Hotel de Paris Monte-Carlo
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Monte-Carlo
Reviewed 8 May 2013

Undoubtly it was a very good experience and stay, in a nice destination, right in the middle of the most interest action, just a few steps to the emblemetic Casino and surrounded by the finest magazins and blends...

The hotel has a terrific decor, with a minimalist attention to the details and the staff can always antecipate your demands. Of course it has a price.

But, is there a way of being refined without being so pretentious. Maybe not.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank GUSDALI

Reviewed 22 April 2013

Hi - I`ve been putting this review off for a couple of weeks - i wanted to reflect on our experience at Hotel De Paris.
It was everything as described. Luxurious, comfortable and a "must do" on the tick list. We were driving back in a Mustang from Mallorca to the UK (travelling through 8 countries in 4 days) and we just had to try this world renowned Hotel (nothing to do with the fact my husband wanted to drive the F1 circuit!)

Anyway we arrived - windswept and decidedly not dressed for the occasion. It is a beautiful location and rather awesome when pounced on by tourists with their cameras. We were also jumped on by the doormen. And very kindly told that they would bring all our luggage up to our rooms. We had to think very quickly about which cases we needed etc and felt a little "rushed" by the chaos and atmosphere outside the hotel.
The check in was great - lovely staff - and got a guided informed tour on the way up to the room. It was a gorgeous room (565 euros for an insided courtroom room) Be warned - it IS noisy (as stated previously by another reviewer and NO it isnt a pretty view. You are basically looking down at roofs, air conditioning units, pipes etc) But hey - if we could have afforded a front facing room we may have complained.
Bathroom - to die for (we had trouble dragging our son out of the sit down shower!) Loads of wardrobe space and the comfiest beds in the world. The french doors opened on to a small balcony but we just dumped our stuff and went for a look around.
We didnt get to see much of Monaco - after a long days driving we just wanted to sit and relax. We tried to get a seat across the road at the Cafe but it was teeming with people so we went back to the bar at Hotel de Paris. We knew the prices were high - but it was expected and we honestly didnt begrudge the 15 euros for a small bottle of beer etc (2 rounds of drinks over £100) but the ONE thing that grated was the lack of a smile on the waiters faces. They are VERY stiff and formal and it really didnt make us feel comfortable. We would much prefer staff with characters. I also approached the concierge for a local map - he again was unsmiling and made me feel quite unwelcome.
Anyway - we went to get changed for dinner - we had booked a table at Le Grill on the top floor.
When we arrived we were immediately "jumped" on by at least 4 waiters - a little bit daunting again I suppose. Did we want a glass of champagne ?? I had seen the prices of the champagne and was too nervous to query the price so we accepted - must admit it was the nicest champagne I`d ever had!
The food....... it was OK - but it certainly wasnt stunning. My husband was getting very hot and uncomforatble in his shirt and tie - with the furnace of the grill blazing behind him. Luckily every 20 mins or so - they opened the roof to let some fresh air in. They didnt like the fact that maybe our son wanted something else instead of a Bernaisse sauce with his steak - and once again they were very OTT and not particularly relaxing staff. There was one nice waiter - he took us out on the balcony (for a cigarette) and spared us a little time to talk to us.
After dinner we abandoned our son in the hotel room and went to check out the casino next door - what a beautifu place this was - one of the most opulent buildings i have ever been in.
Breakfast - not much to say about it really. It was OK - nothing fantastic. The usual foods served buffet style. (got to admit though, those sausages were awful). We sat at the table waiting - not sure what the procedure was - but after 5 mins we asked the staff if we helped ourselves.

Our overall experiance? Glad we did it. Would we do it again? - probably not. Would we recommend it? - probably yes. If its on your "bucket list" and you can afford it - then its worth seeing but its never worth "breaking the bank" for.
A word to the Hotel - dont be over stuffy please. We like to have a smile and talk to the staff, it may be a "throw back" to the days when staff were seen and not heard - but that didnt suit us at all. And another thing when your valet service brought the car back - he was within 1 inch of running our suitcase over (and our son if he hadnt moved quickly) - a little too much arrogance methinks!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 April 2013

HOTEL DE PARIS Vs. HOTEL HERMITAGE
I had been planning my trip to Monaco and France for months and months and had read up on every hotel in Monaco and after months of preparation, (dithering) I decided that my 2 nights in Monaco would be spent in one of the two finest hotels in the Principality, the sister properties of Hotel Hermitage or Hotel de Paris…but which one? Both had lots going for them and looked fabulous but I didn’t want to choose the wrong one and really, I would have loved to have tried both and so I did! One night we would stay in Hotel Hermitage and the next we’d stay in Hotel De Paris. I’m going to post the following review on the pages for Hotel Hermitage and Hotel de Paris and will go into more depth about each hotel on their respective page.
If you like this review and find the information or photos helpful, do please click the “Found It Helpful” link as I tried to find out and show what I would want to see and know about in a review.
I booked through the hotel website at a rate of €516 for a Superior Room with an inside courtyard view, including breakfast. I did leave it a bit late on to book, about 6 weeks before, I think the rate used to be about 465 if I had booked earlier, but it doesn’t get any cheaper than that. This was for a splurge and hey, we work hard…we’re worth it!
The Hotel De Paris, originally built as an adjunct to the Casino of Monte Carlo. This world famous hotel is synonymous with luxury and excess. In fact, this hotel is so well known for its luxury and for the stars who patronise it, that there are regularly throngs of tourists outside the main entrance ready to snap photos of whoever comes out, so put your Bulgari sunglasses on, step outside and say “No pictures please” and act like a film star for a minute! Such fun!
We stayed the previous night in the Hotel Hermitage, the sister hotel to this one and they are connected via an underground corridor that goes to the thermal spa, so there was no need to even step outside when going from one hotel to the other. On entering the magnificent lobby, you cannot help but be wowed by the opulence of it. We were shown to the checking in desk and were seated whilst the staff took copies of our passports and filled out the paperwork which took about 10 minutes, rather long I thought. As with the Hotel Hermitage, Las Vegas and other high end hotels, they will take the price of your stay from your credit card right away and will also reserve another amount on your card to cover bills you might incur. I can’t remember the exact figure, but it was certainly around 150euro per person. As we were only staying for one night, I can’t say if this charge would have been applied per night but I would assume it is, so make sure you have space on your credit card to cover this.
We were show to our room by a very charming member of staff who explained about the hotel and the facilities available to use. You are given an expense card which you can use in the hotel to charge to your room. You can also use it in the Hotel Hermitage, the Monte-Carlo Bay Hotel and the Monte Carlo Beach Hotel. So you can use the facilities of all these hotels and also, this card will get you into the private gaming areas of the casino, saving you 10 euro per person. A nice little extra to have. Take advantage and go to the casino and have a flutter and just experience it.
Having booked an entry level room and having seen pictures of the smaller rooms, I was pleasantly surprised to be booked into an huge room! It must have been a suite and I guess we somehow received an upgrade, perhaps because we had stayed in the Hotel Hermitage the night before? I’m not sure, but the room was expansive and lovely. A huge bed, a sofa and seating area, lots of wardrobes space, a very large bathroom and even a changing room. The toiletries provided were La Prairie which my wife tells me is a very good make.
Let’s get back to that lobby. Sheer opulence and magnificently over the top. This is the place to be to people watch. Sit yourself down anywhere here and the waiters will take your food or drinks order from the Bar Americain which is situated here in the lobby. Cocktails can be pricey, €26 per drink, that’s more expensive than anywhere else we tried, even the casino. But I guess you’re paying for the drink and for your surroundings. Drinks are served with some crisps and some nutty nibbles. When I asked for another round of drinks and more nibbles, the nibbles were not replenished. Points off. And the waiters weren’t the friendliest bunch, points off again, but they were adequate. The bar was very busy this Saturday evening and I’m sure there were a lot of drinks to be served. We tried a Pina Colada and a “Monte Carlo”, both were average, they didn’t blow us away for €26 a pop, that was for the surroundings to do. You can sit here for as long as you like, and I don’t think you’d be disturbed, providing that you are either staying in the hotel or drinking here.
On the opposite side of the lobby from the Bar Americain is the 3 michelin star restaurant by celebrity chef Alain Ducasse, the Louis XIV. We didn’t dine here, but it is a dream that we will return and that we will have lunch or dinner here. I do believe that the quality of the food and the service and surroundings is supposed to be the pinnacle of gastronomy and I’d like the chance to find that out for myself. Lunch is €110 per person and dinner would set you back probably about €600 at a very conservative estimate. On saying that, we had lunch at the 2 michelin star Joel Robuchon in the Hotel Metropole next door and it was the best meal we have ever had. It was priced at €49 per person, excluding drinks, but you can read my other review on that.
If you are going to have a flutter in the casino, there’s a tradition here that you rub the leg of the equestrian statue of King Louis XV in the lobby. It’s been rubbed smooth by generations of gamblers eager for a helping hand by lady luck. She didn’t shine on me. I mustn’t have rubbed it correctly.
There are pianos, fine furnishings and objects d’art scattered around the corridors and the hotel is spotless and tastefully decorated, but it didn’t wow me. Possibly because I stayed in the palatial Hotel Hermitage the previous night. Perhaps if I had stayed in Hotel de Paris first of all I would have been more impressed. But I felt it just lacked something. What, I don’t know.
Breakfast was adequate, served in the Cote Jardin restaurant tucked away at the back of the hotel. The display was adequate, but again, it wasn’t quite what I had expected. For such a famous (and expensive) hotel, I was expecting a wow factor, but it wasn’t here. But, it’s breakfast. It was fine, it was lovely.
I asked if I could have an English language paper at breakfast, but as it was Sunday, I was told that the Herald Tribune edition was available on the Saturday and was a Saturday/Sunday edition, so there was no Sunday paper. That was fine as I had that paper upstairs anyway and I though no more about it. Fifteen minutes later, a waitress brought the paper to my table, she had obviously been sent to find a paper and not come back till she had; now that was really excellent service. Top marks to the breakfast restaurant manager for that. Breakfast choice was the normal cooked items, various breads and pastries and even cakes, meats, cheeses, salads and juices. All scrummy and delicious, of particular note, the lemon brioche was had candied, chewy pieces of lemon inside. Had I not been in such polite surroundings, I could have easily made a pig of myself.
So that was my experience of the Hotel de Paris. It just fell short of the wow factor, enough to only get 4 out of 5 stars and in the battle between the Hotel de Paris and the Hotel Hermitage, the Hermitage wins hands down. We’ll be returning to Monte Carlo next year and will stay in the Hermitage but we’ll definitely return to the lobby of the Paris for drinks and people watching.
Read my review of the Hotel Hermitage also.
Feel free to ask me any questions about your stay.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
43  Thank cartagia
Reviewed 8 April 2013

We started our honeymoon here for obvious reasons...the history, romance, reputation etc. Unfortunately, we were placed in a dark courtyard room with no view except that of the hotel HVAC systems. The room number was 366 and it was loud due to the systems outside our window. When you stay at a hotel like this, you anticipate that any room would be nothing less than spectacular. Much to my new husband's embarrassment, I thought we should ask if there was another room available. No such luck, and I felt somewhat shunned by the female we spoke to about an upgrade or some other room option. Be sure to book the room with your American Express...that was a tactical error on our part. To add insult to injury, upon each entry of the hotel, we were asked if we were staying there and what room number. I felt like saying, "we are staying in the room with the worst view, number 366." Other than the room itself, the facility is stunning and adjacent to the famed casino, amazing shopping, dining, etc. The city is very walk able, charming and extravagant. After a few days, we cut our visit short and made our way to Italy.

Room Tip: Tip the "front desk" staff upon arrival, and ask if they can find you a pleasant room with...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Donna R
Reviewed 8 April 2013

We stayed at the Hotel de Paris for a wedding anniversary celebration. Our stay was absolutely amazing. The rooms are beautifully decorated with more than everything you need. We had a view of the harbour one side, and Casino Square the other. We had a lovely breakfast served in the room so we could eat on the balcony and enjoy the stunning view.

The staff were friendly, helpful and their overall approach added to making our stay so special. The hotel location is of course amazing right on Casino Square, and we walked everywhere.

The only downside of the hotel was the wifi - which was either slow or non-existent.

We ate in the Louis XV restaurant which was superb. The food was amazing, the restaurant staff were attentive, friendly and serve guests with good humour. The experience here added to the overall fantastic stay in this lovely hotel.

Room Tip: Front view - rooms are priced more for better views, but is worth it if you can splash out.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank worldadventure2009
Reviewed 3 April 2013

My wife and I loved everything about our stay ( Except meal in Louis XV restaurant) at this ultra luxurious elegant Hotel, from our welcome on arrival to goodbyes on our departure, all our needs were catered for in a friendly, professional manner. Rooms were superb, well appointed, with all those little extras that make a big difference. Breakfast was a bit of an occasion in itself, once again impeccable friendly service. Certainly the best Hotel in Monaco, and must be up there with the best in the world.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 April 2013

Its 5 stars, wath else can i say.
I arrived a week or so before the formula one race and wasn´t expecting a very nice stay, in the contrary i was surprised with a very high profisionalism from all the hotel personal. They were really impecable, the service, housekeeping, rooms, concierge, everything perfect.
and if you like a goog bar service, stay awaay from the bar , for if you start drinking there you wont be able to quit it. You will really be surprised.

Room Tip: The higher the betterI
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends