“Monte Carlo disappointed but the Hotel de Paris more than compensated”

Hotel de Paris Monte-Carlo
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Monte-Carlo
Manchester, England
“Monte Carlo disappointed but the Hotel de Paris more than compensated”
Reviewed 10 May 2010

Curiosity drew me to booking this hotel. If anything, I probably had a pre-conceived idea that I wasn't actually going to like it. I couldn't have been more wrong.
We stayed just one night as part of a driving tour of Europe and it was a great shame to leave. Nevertheless, we came away with very happy memories not least because of the wonderful service we received and the very helfpul and friendly staff.
I found most of Monte Carlo itself (or the people who frequent it) to be a bit vulgar - lots of ageing rock star (wannabes) with their cosmetically enhanced partners complete with chihuahuas in handbags. However, the Hotel de Paris was a very pleasant surprise which more than compensated.
Monte Carlo was in the grip of pre-Grand Prix fever and all the armco, stands and most of the other infrstructure preparations had already been put in place so it felt quite busy.
We had an exclusive sea view room which, given the location and cost of Monte Carlo generally, was great value for money - two balconies with views of both the marina complex and casino square. The room was spotless and had everything we could have wanted, including a very nice welcome note and gift.
The hotel itself is stunning and feels very special. The location is probably the best you can expect - particularly if you want to feel like a film star on arrival (and departure).
However, what made it for us were the staff, particularly the valets, porters, reception and concierge - all were extremely courteous, professional, efficient and, surprisingly, friendly.
The Louis XV restaurant is closed on Wednesday nights (the night we stayed) which was a pity, although the concierge recommended and reserved a table for us at the Joel Robuchon at the Hotel Metropole, which was excellent.
The only negative about the Hotel de Paris was the less than attentive waiters in the American Bar. Waiters at breakfast were also not as good as other hotel staff, although certainly nothing to complain about.
Whilst I really wasn't taken with Monte Carlo itself (other than for it's grand prix associations), I would consider a return trip if only to stay at the Hotel de Paris again.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MikeHibb666

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 April 2010

The first time I went to Monaco was when I was 20. I was on a camping holiday and we had stopped in Nice at a site there, and the bus had taken us to Monaco for the evening. I know I was 20 as we could not get into the casino as you had to be 21, and I was near to my birthday.

I remember us taking photos on the steps and looking at the grand and expensive Hotel De Paris opposite saying one day I would be back, and well off enough to stay there.

It took 30 years, but finally this week I kept that promise. Though to be fair, I was not paying as was on a work trip to attend a conference..

But I am glad I have got to stay at one of the "iconic" hotels of the world, famous for its location.

The outside looks stunning and very grand, and it must be on of the most photographed and videoed hotel facades in the world. The lobby is even more breathtaking. It is big, dramatic, ornate and grand. It has a sense of importance and style. I felt myself breath in as I had not expected it.

You always know when you are checking into an expensive hotel (in my experience) when the reception is seated at a standalone desk and they ask you to sit down versus standing in front of their desk while they tap away on the computer. The Hotel de Paris is like this, and someone keeps trying to wrestle your luggage off you to carry it.

The hotel room I had (408) was a strange mix of looking and feeling like you were staying at your grandmother's house, as the furniture and style was very old-fashioned with pieces that had been updated but surprisingly cheaply for the nature and cost of the hotel. The bathroom medicine cabinet looked very cheap and the cupboards were cheap looking aluminium. The bathroom unit was very old fashioned. The place though was very clean and neat. The room I had had a stunning view across to the yacht basin, and so this made it very pretty and also very quiet as did not face onto the main square where the casino is. It was great opening the shutters and looking at the view.

In the bathroom they have La Parire toiletries and you are left some of their creams on your bed at night. The bed was large and fairly comfortable but not amazing.

Overall service is good and formal, but not amazing or better than many other hotels. Though I do believe from others staying there that is you need something done you will find people go out of their way to do it. Like walking your dog! I was amazed at how many people seemed to be staying there with their little lapdogs.

The food and drink is outrageously expensive. A Cesar salad and Diet Coke in the bar will set you back close to 30 Euros, and it is hard to have a meal in room service that will cost you up to 80 Euros. But I guess that comes with the nature and location of the hotel.

I had a hire car and parked it in the garage under the casino square and that was very close to the hotel

I am glad to have finally got to stay here, as is one of the trophy hotels of the world. It is a bit stuffy for me overall, but is great to be able to say I have stayed there.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business
3 Thank bembridge
New York City, New York
Reviewed 18 March 2010

Fabulous, Glamorous, Fun and Fantastic !! Would do it again. Get a room on the water, watch out for the birds stealing your Croisants in the morning !

Stayed April 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Parisshakey
dansterboy01
Reviewed 19 February 2010

I recently stayed at the Hotel de Paris, Monte Carlo. I had high expectations before arriving and I must say, they were all met. What a great place. Super staff, luxurious room. Excellent food. I was really sad to check out. It lives up to it's world reputation. The casino's are really exciting and fun. I had a great time. Thank you to all the staff and management for making my stay so memorable. I will be back.
Danny from Honolulu, Hawaii USA

• Stayed February 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank dansterboy01
London
Reviewed 14 December 2009

Must say that this was best money spent on a holiday. The rooms were very luxurious and the hotel has just got this general old charm about it. The concierge was very helpful and were very insightful. They recommended some superb place to eat like rampoldi just a few steps from the hotel. The hotel's buffet breakfast spread was very inviting and the grill on the top floor is also a must for anyone visiting this hotel. The only thing I missed out this time out was trying out the famed Louis IV restaurant which was closed. The casino Monte Carlo was also very interesting.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with friends
2 Thank AdventJunkie
Zürich
Reviewed 27 October 2009

While not really my style, the Hotel de Paris is certainly an experience in the Grand Hotel tradition. It really is a beautiful hotel right beside the Casino. Showed to my room by the receptionist and my luggage arrived seconds later. All very seamless. Traditional room with a contemporary feel. I don´t think I have ever stayed in a room with so much wardrobe space. It really made me laugh. Obviously many of the people who stay here don´t travel light. Continental breakfast for EUR36 going up to EUR60 for the Hotel De Paris breakfast. A beautiful view of the port. La Prairie toiletries (and lots of them). How could I complain? It was something special and I enjoyed it for the experience. However paying about EUR800 a night for a non-suite room is a little obscene especially when there are so many great hotels in Monaco. There is a lot of money in this hotel and for something like a anniversary/romantic getaway it is perfect. You can feel rich for a few days and then go back to your real life.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank Tagesthemen
London
Reviewed 8 July 2009

Hotel de paris is a legend and as such a pleasure to stay in when in Monte Carlo. Nevertheless, it has stayed in the past in the quailty of the room facilities and service so for the travelers that are used to the very best - and pay the rates of Hotel de Paris - the product and service is not good enough at times.

The spa feels like an eighties spa in the design and in hte therapy menu.

The pedicure I had there was probably the worst ever! I left with a slightly bloody toe and a bad colour.

Definitely worth a short visit to enjoy the glamour of Monte Carlo expecialy during Grand Prix week.

• Stayed May 2008, travelled solo