“There were some good points- but not enough to repeat stay”

Le Meridien Beach Plaza
Ranked #7 of 10 Hotels in Monte-Carlo
Toronto
“There were some good points- but not enough to repeat stay”
Reviewed 4 June 2011

I just returned from a stay at the Meridien. It is on the edge of Monte Carlo- perhaps a 10-15 minute drive to the heart of the city. You can walk it in about 20-25 minutes.

The food at the hotel was excellent. We dined a la carte, in the buffet and had room service and truly have no complaints. The choices were plentiful (more than noted on the menu) and everything was very fresh.

The other plus was the outdoor pool and beach area. It was large, with a lot of seating available and was very clean. The outdoor pool has two areas (deep and shallow) and there is a covered indoor pool as well. Pools are seawater. The beach isn't sand- it is small smooth pebbles.

Sadly the negatives outweigh the positives in my opinion. The rooms (I was in a seaview room with balcony) need freshening. Little things- like torn curtains, stained chairs. There isn't a bedside clock or radio. The telephone is across the room from the bed. There aren't any instructions on how to use the pay TV, or on spa services. There isn't any area tourist information- restaurant suggestions etc. Toiletries in the bathroom weren't replenished regularly and when the room was tidied it didn't really feel cleaned. I had taken the ironing board out and the housekeeping staff never put it away. Cleaning staff in the hall were very noisy- slamming doors and conversing quite loudly. Two positives about my room- a very comfortable bed- and a nicely sized balcony.

I had occasion to deal with the front desk several times and was never made to feel like a guest- just like an irritant. There were at least 4 bell staff/ doormen hanging around at all times- and not once did anyone offer assistance. I was given the impression by colleagues at another hotel that this may be a attitude amongst Monagasques, rather than that of the Meridien staff.

I can see the appeal of the hotel for families- the beach is very nice- and safe, along with all the outdoor areas. The food is very good. The hotel lacks (in my opinion) in service and for that reason I wouldn't return.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank vespagal
LeMeridienBeachPlaza, Directeur général at Le Meridien Beach Plaza, responded to this review, 13 July 2011
Dear vespagal,

Firstly I would like to thank you for having shared your feedback on this website following your stay with us in May 2011.

I was happy to learn about the satisfying points you mentioned – as the quality of the food, the outdoor facilities and the comfortable bed – as well as sorry of your concerns mentioned in the second part of your comments.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience experienced due to the staff attitude especially from the Front Office employees. Our aim is that our guests feel like at home with us and certainly not to be treated in an arrogant manner. This is not acceptable and be assured that I have shared your comments with the Team to take appropriate actions.

I hope therefore that you will not judge us solely on the basis of this particular experience and that you will accept to offer us a second chance. If so, I would be happy to assist personally with your reservation. Maybe a Crystal room or one at our Roof Top recently renovated would match better with your expectations.

Michel Cottray

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (260)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Undisclosed Location
Reviewed 21 May 2011

I liked the location of this hotel, right on the water with a private beach. I was there for business but in the hopes of catching some sea and sights, I went a day earlier. When I arrived on Sunday it was raining, but it was a lovely view. I had an ocean facing room with a balcony. The room was very comfortable and there was free internet (ethernet). Also, for Starwood Platinum members, they give discounts ranging from 10-15% for dining, laundry and a certain number of free incoming fax pages. While the fitness facilities were nice and there is an indoor and outdoor pool, the indoor pool was closed. I was surprised that there was no on premises Spa.
The concierge was very helpful in suggesting options for sightseeing and offered some money saving tips. My door was not closing properly and the hotel staff fixed it promplty. However, the service in the dining room and upon check out were not as good. When I reviewed my bill, the promised Platinum discounts were not on and there were other mistakes. It took 15 minutes to check out, primarily due to repeat errors by the checkout clerk. I will definitely come back to this hotel but I think that service is an area where they could work on more consistency.

Room Tip: Try to get an ocean view with a balcony
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank Agent9
Dear Agent9,

Thank you very much for having taken the time to share your feedback and “astuces” on Trip Advisor following your stay with us in May 2011.
Also, happy to learn that you appreciated the benefits reserved to our SPG Platinum members like free Internet access and discounts on F&B or laundry services.
I have also taken note of your poor experience on your departure. I do apologize for the inconvenience you have suffered from, and which was certainly not representative of our usual quality of service. Be assured that our Front Office Team has been advised of your comments.
May your travels bring you back to Monaco – maybe for leisure this time – our Front Office Manager would be pleased to assist personally with your booking.

Many thanks again for your support and with best regards,

Monte-Carlo, Monaco
Reviewed 7 April 2011

It's weird to stay at a hotel in the same country you partly live in... The terraces of my apartment are being redone, so I choose to be a coward and run from the noise and the dust. To be honest, Le Méridien was not my first choice: since there was a big wedding ànd a conference in Monaco, all SBM properties, as well as Le Méridien were fully booked. After having tried many times to book a room, Le Méridien was the first one offering vacant rooms. As an SPG I knew that the hotel wouldn't let me down.
It was the very first time I visited the hotel. The new style is really nice. We were given a very nice upgrade to room 1128 (Aquarius if I remember well) by the charming Laurent at reception. The room was stunning, albeit a bit faded at the corners, but that is a neglectable detail. Superb beds, enormous shower, living room, separate toilet, enough closet space and a terrace.
The gym was state of the art, the rest of the facilities we didn't use. Shame there isn't a steam room.
We had Sunday lunch with my mother and a friend and it was exceptional. Since it was pouring with rain we had it inside.
For the rest we did our "usual" wining and dining (Le Grill, Maya Bay and Bar Américain).
Overall it was a very good experience and I would recommend Le Méridien to friends visiting.
Thanks for a lovely stay.

• Stayed March 2011
1 Thank Georgio L
LeMeridienBeachPlaza, Directeur général at Le Meridien Beach Plaza, responded to this review, 15 April 2011
Dear GEOAntwerp,

I am glad to learn that you had such a great experience at Le Méridien Beach Plaza while your apartment was being renovated.
Thank you very much for having taken the time to write your kind comments on Trip Advisor and to post some nice pictures. The room 1128 has indeed a beautiful sea view…I was also delighted to read that you had the time to enjoy our “Sunday Lunch” with your family.
Be assured that I will personally share your review with the team and with Laurent.
I also take this opportunity to inform you that our open sky restaurant “Muse” is going to open on the first week of June. With a great location overlooking the sea, it would definitely be an amazing place for memorable summer evenings...We look forward to welcoming you in with your friends!

Many thanks again for your support and with my best regards,

Katowice, Poland
Reviewed 27 March 2011

I have stayed there for few days participating in bussiness sales conference. Hotel is amaizing, very high service level, lovely rooms ( I had "de luxe" at last floor with see view).
Swimming pools indoor and outside, private beach. Food excellent all - breakfasts, lunches and dinners. Staf very very helpfull , great conference center. Everything perfect in 100%!!! If I ever come back to Monaco I will choose that hotel.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank Mada2010
Dear Mada10,

Thank you for your kind comments!
I was very pleased to learn how much you enjoyed your stay with us. Customer care is amongst our highest priorities and it is always gratifying to receive such praise. Be assured that I will share your feedback with all the team.

I do hope we will have the pleasure to welcome you again, maybe for holidays this time!

Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 March 2011

It was recently my husbands birthday and as it was a special one i decided to book this trip, as he has aways wanted to visit Monte Carlo.

This hotel has everything and more that you would except from its ideal location on its own private beach, to even the humble bus outside which you can take to Monaco and other parts of the resort. The hotel is truly stunning from the fabulous breakfast, everything from fresh crepes, to hot food, fruit, freshly cooked eggs in various styles and all under the guidance of a Michielin star head chef!

The staff are exceptional nothing is too much trouble and they are all extremely approachable, when we arrived as it was my husbands birthday we where given a free up grade to a wonderful sea view room, also complementary bottles of water, placed in the room each day, all the reception staff are very helpful but Wendel in particular made our stay as perfect as possible for us.

The private beach is fabulous although it was too chilly for us to use we could sit outside after breakfast and have coffee, if you have the chance to stay at this hotel do not hesitate, we felt like movie stars especially after the helicopter ride from Nice and the hotel even gave us a small gift.....WOW what more could you ask for, we will hopefully return soon.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jojo2064
LeMeridienBeachPlaza, Directeur général at Le Meridien Beach Plaza, responded to this review, 22 March 2011
Dear jojo2064,

I am glad to learn how much you enjoyed your stay with us!

Happy to read that we had the availability to offer you a free upgrade for such a special occasion and that you enjoyed our Breakfast services as well as our location and private beach. Also, be assured that I will share your kind comments with Wenzel from the Reception Team.

Thank you very much for having taken the time to post your feedback on this website and we sincerely do hope to have the pleasure to welcome you back in a near future.

Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 March 2011

I had read previous reviews and was a bit worried as I had booked the hotel for my husband's 50th birthday with friends and our 11year old son. However, it was fantastic. I had pre-booked Sunday lunch, the hotel gave us complimentary champagne with our lunch and had made a beautiful French pastry birthday cake (complete with firework and an iced message) for my husband.
The rooms were lovely and we were given a connecting room with our friends.
The staff were friendly and helpful. It was a perfect holiday.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with friends
Dear Wolverhampton,

I was very pleased to learn how much you enjoyed your stay with us for such a special occasion and I would like to thank you for sharing your feedback with the Trip Advisor community.

Customer care is amongst our highest priorities and it is always gratifying to receive such praise. Be assured that I will share your comments with all the Team.

May your travels bring you back to Monte-Carlo, please feel free to contact me directly in order to assist you with your reservation.

Best regards,

NE Vic
Reviewed 28 February 2011

As advertised it is situated on its own private beach, with a superb swimming pool combined with a well appointed outdoor area. Also has very good indoor pooll overlooking beach area. Beach is shale not soft sand. About 1.5 km from centre it is at the end on the Monte Carlo strip. A bit quiter area but a fair walk for a meal in the centre.
Rooms are well appointed but Platinum upgrade to Executive floor room was dissapointing. Whilst it had a sea view room was small and bathroom very small. Could only fit one in at a time. Usual Internet, desk etc. Beds superb. No tea/coffee making facilities in room.
Biggest disspointment was hotel prices for food and drink. Really atronomical and could not be justified - but it is in Monte carlo so i suppose to be expected.
Staff were very friendly and helpful - particularly at reception.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank apwaddo
Dear apwadoo,

Thank you for having taken the time to share your feedback following your stay with us in last February.

I was happy to read that you enjoyed our property as well as the facilities like the pools, the outdoor areas and the private beach, a peaceful place in Monte-Carlo. Thank you also for the kind comments you wrote in regards to the employees attitude ; be assured that I will share this with the Reception Team.

Also, you mentioned that there was no tea/coffee making facilities in your room. Kindly note that a voucher valid for a complimentary tea or coffee to be enjoyed at the Bar is available in each room in replacement (located in the Discovery Envelop placed on your bed).

Many thanks again for your feedback and hoping to welcome you back in Monte-Carlo in a near future,