“Not happy”

Le Meridien Beach Plaza
Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Monte-Carlo
Reviewed 10 July 2011

We stayed here over the July 4th holiday and it was VERY disappointing. No wireless internet in the hotel. None. Only wired internet in the rooms. How absurd is that? Who travel with a computer these days when everyone has a phone or iPad? There was nothing on their website that indicated no wireless internet. And they charge you to use the internet in the business center. Very disappointing. The pool is salt water. And I'm not just talking a little salt. It's saltier than the ocean. Horrible for children and it ruins bathing suits. Completely fades them. Be careful.

There are 2 restaurants and they have the same food. VERY over priced, even with the exchange rate.

While the room I had was FANTASTIC - corner room overlooking the pool and ocean - everything else took away from the experience.

I wouldn't recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: July 2011
1  Thank Tom S
LeMeridienBeachPlaza, Directeur général at Le Meridien Beach Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2011

Dear BlkBEtty,

I was very sorry to read how much your stay with us was disappointing.

First of all, let me inform you that we are currently in the process to install the wifi in all the hotel areas. This would be available in a couple of weeks.

Then, the water used for the pools is indeed salty because it comes from the sea after having been filtered and treated. This is a choice in accordance with our company green involvement. Otherwise, the water is duly daily controlled by sanitary authorities.

Also, I would like to come back on your remark regarding our two restaurants. Our “L’intempo” restaurant is opened 24hours and proposes traditional flavours of the French gastronomy. Our seasonal restaurant “Muse” is located outside, between pools and beach, and offers a refined food revisited with an exotic touch. I am quite surprise and sorry if you thought like the menus were the same. Be also assured that our rates are not higher than those which are practiced in the others four stars hotels in Monaco.

Once again, I am sorry if you didn’t have a nice stay with us. I do hope you will accept my apologies on behalf of all the staff for not having been able to make your experience memorable.

Best regards,

Michel Cottray

Write a ReviewReviews (1,753)

Reviewed 7 July 2011

We stayed at Le Meridien Beach Plaza in May 2011 while visiting Provence.

Having rented a Renault Laguna at the Nice airport (NCE), we found the drive to Monte Carlo relatively effortless. Attempting to find the Carrefour in Monaco(to pick up water and juice for our touring) was much more of a challenge than finding the Meridien. Parking was 46 euros per night, but the valets were some of the most efficient I have ever seen at a hotel (the car was brought around within a couple of minutes of handing a valet our ticket).

The gentleman who checked us in was very hospitable and anxious to describe the hotel’s amenities and the various activities in Monaco to us in great detail. Most of the staff we encountered were similarly enthusiastic and welcoming.

We were assigned a “Premier room – sea view,” which is located in one of the glass towers on the sea side of the hotel. Though it was a smoking room (it had an ashtray and matches), there was no smell of smoke. The room was quite large by European standards, and had windows looking out over the hotel’s private beach. The room was very modern in design and had hardwood floors. The bathroom was also quite modern, with a shower that had about four separate sprays at different heights (and frosted glass to separate it from the bedroom) and a television in the corner. The windows to the room were able to open slightly, but there was no balcony. The window shades were operated electronically, and they were able to keep the room dark during the day and the near-daylight lighting of the hotel’s terrace area at night. We were very pleased with the room.

We visited the private beach (a nice, and Monaco-exclusive, feature), but the Mediterranean water was too cold (in late May) despite the 30-degree air temperatures during our stay. The salt-water (much easier on the skin and hair than chlorine, also you float) outdoor pool was quite warm (comfortable) and very deep. A reception was being held in the pool area one evening, but it was well after guests would have normally left the pool.

The buffet breakfast was high-quality and quite good. We were able to sit out on the terrace, where we watched as a seagull grabbed a full muffin from a neighbouring table and flew off with it. There are also several restaurants on the public beach a short walk away from the hotel.

The hotel is not centrally located (it is all of the way at east end of the Principality), but nothing in Monaco is more than four kilometres away (the walk requires going up and down hills,though, unless you cut through the tunnel underneath the Fairmont). Needless to say, it is safe to walk in Monaco at night.

At check-out, there was a billing issue that was eventually corrected, but the manner in which it was handled was graceless,adding a slightly unpleasant experience to the end of an otherwise very pleasant stay.

We would probably return to this hotel if we were in Monaco again.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank YOWboys
Reviewed 12 June 2011

My husband booked this hotel for our anniversary as he has visited Monte Carlo on a few occasions to attend various conferences but usually stayed at the fairmont.
On seeing most of Monte Carlo and noting where the other major hotels were situated I think this hotel is in a great spot and has the added benefit of the private beach with a large outdoor and indoor pool. We didn't feel that we were on a city break more like a mini med holiday which was nice.
The greeting from the receptionist wasn't exactly overwhelming and I feel a lot of the paper work that had to be completed at check in could have been organized prior to our arrival.
The reception and public areas of the hotel were very clean and fresh.
The room was as expected from the photos from the hotels website. We had booked a deluxe sea view room. For the price I would have hoped for much more but I guess we were paying for the fact we were in Monte Carlo and not so much the room type/style. The hotel is four star standard and doesn't warrant anymore than that.
If you are thinking of booking a deluxe sea view room then I suggest asking for a high floor room as far to the left of the hotel as possible. We only had sun on our balcony until lunchtime as after that the sun was blocked out by the very imposing glass domes on either end of the hotel which I believe houses the executive rooms and suites. A high floor room would provide you with a better view.
I noticed on a few other reviews that some members had mentioned the high prices for food,drink etc and that's what is to be expected in Monte Carlo. I disagree with this on two counts.....firstly I have stayed in many hotels around the world of a much higher standard than this hotel but never have I seen such ludicrous prices as €34 per person for breakfast or €13 for two bottles of evian water??? How good can breakfast be to put a price like that on it? Romantic beach barbecues were a snip at only €75 per person, id want a suckling pig for that! I obviously wasn't the only person who felt that way hence there only been a handful of guests taking up this offer. Surely if the hotel management were to reconsider their pricing then more people would choose to dine in the hotel. Secondly not all of Monte Carlo is expensive and by the main port or even up in the old village there's some great restaurants which are very reasonably priced. The other issue we had was that there was very little information, if any, regarding the hotel, I.e events, restaurants, bar opening times etc. It all seemed very secretive.
There's a fantastic bus service which runs around Monte Carlo. It's very reliable, cheap and easy to use. Bus passes can be purchased from the driver for a single trip or €3 for 24 hours, no limit on journeys or 3 day passes are available. The bus stop is directly outside the hotel.
Wifi was a problem, my husband couldn't connect via his iPad or blackberry.
There are downsides to the hotel but as I've mentioned it is in my opinion in a great location, I had an excellent nights sleep every night and having such a close sea view and private beach was an added bonus. We would stay here again but for any management of the hotel reading this review then please reconsider your food and beverage pricing it is obscene.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lanniespice
LeMeridienBeachPlaza, Directeur général at Le Meridien Beach Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 13 July 2011

Dear lanniespice,

Thank you very much for having taken the time to post your feedback on this website following your stay with us in June 2011. I also appreciate that you and your husband chose Le Méridien Beach Plaza for a romantic stay in Monaco.

As you mentioned, our location with its private beach and large outdoor areas makes our hotel one of the best place to relax in Monaco...I am also happy that you enjoyed your room with its balcony overlooking the sea. For your information the two “Crystal towers” offer a different category of rooms, designed in a contemporary style. I am also glad to hear that you slept well in our Le Méridien beds.

In regards to your comments regarding our F&B prices, be assured that our rates are not higher than those practiced in the others four stars hotels in the Principality.

I thank you again for having shared your comments and I do hope we will have the pleasure to welcome you back in a near future.

Reviewed 4 June 2011

I just returned from a stay at the Meridien. It is on the edge of Monte Carlo- perhaps a 10-15 minute drive to the heart of the city. You can walk it in about 20-25 minutes.

The food at the hotel was excellent. We dined a la carte, in the buffet and had room service and truly have no complaints. The choices were plentiful (more than noted on the menu) and everything was very fresh.

The other plus was the outdoor pool and beach area. It was large, with a lot of seating available and was very clean. The outdoor pool has two areas (deep and shallow) and there is a covered indoor pool as well. Pools are seawater. The beach isn't sand- it is small smooth pebbles.

Sadly the negatives outweigh the positives in my opinion. The rooms (I was in a seaview room with balcony) need freshening. Little things- like torn curtains, stained chairs. There isn't a bedside clock or radio. The telephone is across the room from the bed. There aren't any instructions on how to use the pay TV, or on spa services. There isn't any area tourist information- restaurant suggestions etc. Toiletries in the bathroom weren't replenished regularly and when the room was tidied it didn't really feel cleaned. I had taken the ironing board out and the housekeeping staff never put it away. Cleaning staff in the hall were very noisy- slamming doors and conversing quite loudly. Two positives about my room- a very comfortable bed- and a nicely sized balcony.

I had occasion to deal with the front desk several times and was never made to feel like a guest- just like an irritant. There were at least 4 bell staff/ doormen hanging around at all times- and not once did anyone offer assistance. I was given the impression by colleagues at another hotel that this may be a attitude amongst Monagasques, rather than that of the Meridien staff.

I can see the appeal of the hotel for families- the beach is very nice- and safe, along with all the outdoor areas. The food is very good. The hotel lacks (in my opinion) in service and for that reason I wouldn't return.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank vespagal

Dear vespagal,

Firstly I would like to thank you for having shared your feedback on this website following your stay with us in May 2011.

I was happy to learn about the satisfying points you mentioned – as the quality of the food, the outdoor facilities and the comfortable bed – as well as sorry of your concerns mentioned in the second part of your comments.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience experienced due to the staff attitude especially from the Front Office employees. Our aim is that our guests feel like at home with us and certainly not to be treated in an arrogant manner. This is not acceptable and be assured that I have shared your comments with the Team to take appropriate actions.

I hope therefore that you will not judge us solely on the basis of this particular experience and that you will accept to offer us a second chance. If so, I would be happy to assist personally with your reservation. Maybe a Crystal room or one at our Roof Top recently renovated would match better with your expectations.

Reviewed 21 May 2011

I liked the location of this hotel, right on the water with a private beach. I was there for business but in the hopes of catching some sea and sights, I went a day earlier. When I arrived on Sunday it was raining, but it was a lovely view. I had an ocean facing room with a balcony. The room was very comfortable and there was free internet (ethernet). Also, for Starwood Platinum members, they give discounts ranging from 10-15% for dining, laundry and a certain number of free incoming fax pages. While the fitness facilities were nice and there is an indoor and outdoor pool, the indoor pool was closed. I was surprised that there was no on premises Spa.
The concierge was very helpful in suggesting options for sightseeing and offered some money saving tips. My door was not closing properly and the hotel staff fixed it promplty. However, the service in the dining room and upon check out were not as good. When I reviewed my bill, the promised Platinum discounts were not on and there were other mistakes. It took 15 minutes to check out, primarily due to repeat errors by the checkout clerk. I will definitely come back to this hotel but I think that service is an area where they could work on more consistency.

Room Tip: Try to get an ocean view with a balcony
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank Agent9

Dear Agent9,

Thank you very much for having taken the time to share your feedback and “astuces” on Trip Advisor following your stay with us in May 2011.
Also, happy to learn that you appreciated the benefits reserved to our SPG Platinum members like free Internet access and discounts on F&B or laundry services.
I have also taken note of your poor experience on your departure. I do apologize for the inconvenience you have suffered from, and which was certainly not representative of our usual quality of service. Be assured that our Front Office Team has been advised of your comments.
May your travels bring you back to Monaco – maybe for leisure this time – our Front Office Manager would be pleased to assist personally with your booking.

Many thanks again for your support and with best regards,

Reviewed 7 April 2011

It's weird to stay at a hotel in the same country you partly live in... The terraces of my apartment are being redone, so I choose to be a coward and run from the noise and the dust. To be honest, Le Méridien was not my first choice: since there was a big wedding ànd a conference in Monaco, all SBM properties, as well as Le Méridien were fully booked. After having tried many times to book a room, Le Méridien was the first one offering vacant rooms. As an SPG I knew that the hotel wouldn't let me down.
It was the very first time I visited the hotel. The new style is really nice. We were given a very nice upgrade to room 1128 (Aquarius if I remember well) by the charming Laurent at reception. The room was stunning, albeit a bit faded at the corners, but that is a neglectable detail. Superb beds, enormous shower, living room, separate toilet, enough closet space and a terrace.
The gym was state of the art, the rest of the facilities we didn't use. Shame there isn't a steam room.
We had Sunday lunch with my mother and a friend and it was exceptional. Since it was pouring with rain we had it inside.
For the rest we did our "usual" wining and dining (Le Grill, Maya Bay and Bar Américain).
Overall it was a very good experience and I would recommend Le Méridien to friends visiting.
Thanks for a lovely stay.

• Stayed: March 2011
1  Thank Georgio L
LeMeridienBeachPlaza, Directeur général at Le Meridien Beach Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2011

Dear GEOAntwerp,

I am glad to learn that you had such a great experience at Le Méridien Beach Plaza while your apartment was being renovated.
Thank you very much for having taken the time to write your kind comments on Trip Advisor and to post some nice pictures. The room 1128 has indeed a beautiful sea view…I was also delighted to read that you had the time to enjoy our “Sunday Lunch” with your family.
Be assured that I will personally share your review with the team and with Laurent.
I also take this opportunity to inform you that our open sky restaurant “Muse” is going to open on the first week of June. With a great location overlooking the sea, it would definitely be an amazing place for memorable summer evenings...We look forward to welcoming you in with your friends!

Many thanks again for your support and with my best regards,

Reviewed 27 March 2011

I have stayed there for few days participating in bussiness sales conference. Hotel is amaizing, very high service level, lovely rooms ( I had "de luxe" at last floor with see view).
Swimming pools indoor and outside, private beach. Food excellent all - breakfasts, lunches and dinners. Staf very very helpfull , great conference center. Everything perfect in 100%!!! If I ever come back to Monaco I will choose that hotel.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank Mada2010

Dear Mada10,

Thank you for your kind comments!
I was very pleased to learn how much you enjoyed your stay with us. Customer care is amongst our highest priorities and it is always gratifying to receive such praise. Be assured that I will share your feedback with all the team.

I do hope we will have the pleasure to welcome you again, maybe for holidays this time!