“If you can pay less than rack-rate.....”

Le Meridien Beach Plaza
Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Monte-Carlo
Reviewed 3 August 2011

Cheapest room was $770 US - and you don't get a lot for that - but you ARE in Monaco! If you have to stay in Monaco or money is not an option, it is a very decent hotel. With Bentley’s, Rolls Royce’s, and other luxury vehicles in front of it, I thought that we were in for something special. Of course I used SPG.COM points to pay for my stay as $3000 for two nights for my family was waaaaay more than I will ever spend on a hotel.

Staff out front were very ready....at least they were ready to move our rented and beaten up Citroen car away from the Bentleys. Check in was fast as was checkout. I liked the option they have to credit you 5 Euro or 500 spg points for every night you don't have housekeeping tidy up the room.

There is a small, private beach (supposedly the only one for a hotel in Monaco) and people just leave their pool toys when they leave - so you don't have to bring any (buying one will cost a minimum of 35 Euro).

We are SPG platinum level and are supposed to be upgraded to the best available room or a suite upon arrival. I don't think they do so unless you call them on it (they upgraded us - but it was a lowest upgrade they had) - so you really have to confirm with them. There is no lounge - so platinum members do not receive snacks at night nor breakfast in the morning.

So, anyway, you don't get a lot for $770 - a medium-sized room (with room to put an extra bed) with a comfortable bed and good air conditioning. There were bath salts and excellent soap products in the bathroom. We had adjoining rooms with our children. They had a TV in the bathroom and a door on their shower - we didn't. As soon as we tried opening the connecting doors, both handles came off. They sent someone up quickly though and had that fixed. Microwaves are not allowed in the rooms - so don't ask for one...

Location is decent though nowhere near a grocery store. For some people $770 isn't a lot - but in my opinion, if you can get it using points or at a reduced rate, it is a nice place in Monaco.

1  Thank ChiefSadler
There are newer reviews for Le Meridien Beach Plaza

Reviewed 29 July 2011

My husband and I booked this for a short break fri to Monday. It was the best short break ever. Beautiful country and hotel could not fault anything in any way. We flew into nice, and then was transferred by helicopter to our hotel, the experience was so special and that alone made our holiday, when we arrived at the hotel we were not dissapointed it was beautiful our suite was spacious and well decorated we had a large balcony overlooking the beautiful bay. Breakfast was included and had a vast selection to choose from, nothing was too much trouble for the staff at the hotel, they can even arrange A car to take u to the casino in the evening however we did not use it as the weather was so beautiful we walked the beach most evenings it's a 20 min walk into the main Monaco marina but well worth it as the scenery alone the way is spectacular. The old town is the cheapest place to eat and accessible by bus we bought a daily pass for a few pound and there is a bus service from outside the hotel. You can also get the bus to the botanical gardens which was a wonderful few hours walk around. Overall we felt like superstars in this beautiful town and will be returning with the children as the beach is also amazing. I will be retiring here if I win the lottery!! Lol I love it. Research the area before you go because there is so much to do in such a short time and it really would be a shame to miss out on the princes car collection or the changing of the guard at the princes palace. Truly a magical wonderful place x

• Stayed: March 2011
2  Thank RussandNik
Reviewed 28 July 2011

We took 3 rooms to celebrate my sons 18th, you'd have thought that would focused receptions’ mind? Not so, the third room was not ready until 6pm. However we were offered a complimentary drink in compensation....turns out to have been a valuable offer!

I suspect the effect of the rude Eastern Europeans has rubbed off on the staff. It is normal to expect French staff to be surly, it's part of their allure, but this hotel has cornered the market.

I am not sure where to start on the cost, happy to pay exorbitant prices for top quality, this was suitably exorbitant and very average.

Yes this hotel has a beach , but there is little room on it, more like a seal sanctuary. Not worth the premium the hotel demands.

In summary, pay less for more somewhere else

1  Thank IanMeekins
Reviewed 20 July 2011

We stay here for 3 nights with our two children. Had booked sea view room. Check in was very tedious, and then we were give keys to a room with a side view. I asked the staff if we could change rooms and was told there were no rooms with a sea view available. Nothing at all. Went back to room very disappointed so my husband went downstairs to speak to reception staff. He returned minutes later with keys to a room with the best view ever!!! Room 9 on any floor from level 5 up will give you a great view of the pools the harbour, the Fairmount tunnel etc. If we hadn't changed rooms we could have been anywhere in the world and I would have been really disappointed. Room was large and bathroom very nice. Could have done with more toiletries.
Very disappointed that there was no wifi access and that the food and drink was so expensive. BBQ on beach was €95 which didn't include drinks (which started at €7 for a coke). Eating in the old town is very reasonable and good quality.
Would book into Fairmount next time (it was fully booked when we tried this visit) to get a great view and be more in the centre of things. Staff at breakfast were very pleasant. Lack of information about hotel facilities.

• Stayed: July 2011
1  Thank Alwayson
LeMeridienBeachPlaza, Directeur général at Le Meridien Beach Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2011

Dear Alwayson,

Firstly I would like to thank you very much for having chosen our hotel for your family stay in Monte-Carlo this summer. I also appreciate the time you have taken to share your feedback on this website making live the travellers community.

In regards to your comments, be assured that our rates are not higher than those practiced in the others four stars hotels in Monaco. Also, our hotel is really the one in the Principality offering a private beach and such large outdoor facilities. Another point you would appreciate is that we have just finished installing the wifi available from all the hotel areas. You can now connect your ipad directly from your beach chair…

Many thanks again for having stayed with us, and I do hope we will have the pleasure to welcome you back if you choose Le Méridien. If so, please do not hesitate to contact me directly in order to assist you with your reservation.

With best regards,

Reviewed 13 July 2011

Our seven rooms were all old with mismatched furniture, old wall paper and basically as the French would say "demode". Upon entering our bathrooms, we found hair on the floors and were disgusted. The renovated elevators, with cowhide and blue lights, hope to convince the guests that the property is cool. Every part of this property is tired and they have the temerity to charge exorbitant prices for their restaurants, beach activities etc. We had a choice to stay at the Fairmont or the Metropole but we chose a Starwood Resort thinking they would uphold the American standards. Not true at all!! When in Monte Carlo stay elsewhere.

Dear Dreamgraph,

I was sorry to read how much your stay was disappointing, especially as you had high expectations from a Starwood property. I would like to apologize and to thank you to give me the opportunity to explain ourselves.

Regarding your comments, I guess you were in a Classic room which is a category designed in a Mediterranean style and very well appreciated by most of guests. But we also offer some different rooms categories like the Executive or the Cristal. Those offer large bay-windows overlooking the sea, modern furniture and high technology equipments. I am sure that you would have enjoyed this more contemporary style. Our Reservations Department is able to give all the information required to organize your booking as best as possible.

Besides, please note that we are continuously making renovations to improve the quality of our property. For example the entire 11th floor was renovated last year. Our conference centre is also being entirely refurbished in a very innovative way. Another point that you would also appreciated is that we just installed the wifi, now available in all hotel areas.

Once again, I am very sorry if the design of your room didn’t match with your expectations. However I do hope that the other parts of your stay – I mean the quality of service, the leisure facilities and the F&B offers – gave you some satisfaction.

Hoping you will accept to give us a second chance in the future and with best regards,

Reviewed 10 July 2011

Its a very modern hotel and it is designed very nicely. Love the sound effect in the elevators! The rooms are spacious with nice bathrooms. The hotel has its own private beach. It is located 15 min walk from the casino.
It is pretty expensive but a nice place to stay for a short holiday. Restaurent is really good and so is the bar. They have two pools, one outside and one inside. Staff are very helpful. Internet is very expensive.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
LeMeridienBeachPlaza, Directeur général at Le Meridien Beach Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 13 July 2011

Dear Yowboys,

I was very pleased to learn how much you enjoyed your stay with us in last May. Thank you for sharing how satisfied you were and for presenting such details on the rooms and the location.
However I apologize for the poor experience you have suffered from on departure, this is clearly not reflective of our usual standard of service. Be assured that I am going to share your feedback with the Front Office Team.
May your travels bring you back to Monaco, please feel free to contact me directly in order to assist you with your reservation and make sure everything goes well.

With best regards,

Reviewed 10 July 2011

We stayed here over the July 4th holiday and it was VERY disappointing. No wireless internet in the hotel. None. Only wired internet in the rooms. How absurd is that? Who travel with a computer these days when everyone has a phone or iPad? There was nothing on their website that indicated no wireless internet. And they charge you to use the internet in the business center. Very disappointing. The pool is salt water. And I'm not just talking a little salt. It's saltier than the ocean. Horrible for children and it ruins bathing suits. Completely fades them. Be careful.

There are 2 restaurants and they have the same food. VERY over priced, even with the exchange rate.

While the room I had was FANTASTIC - corner room overlooking the pool and ocean - everything else took away from the experience.

I wouldn't recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: July 2011
1  Thank Tom S
LeMeridienBeachPlaza, Directeur général at Le Meridien Beach Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2011

Dear BlkBEtty,

I was very sorry to read how much your stay with us was disappointing.

First of all, let me inform you that we are currently in the process to install the wifi in all the hotel areas. This would be available in a couple of weeks.

Then, the water used for the pools is indeed salty because it comes from the sea after having been filtered and treated. This is a choice in accordance with our company green involvement. Otherwise, the water is duly daily controlled by sanitary authorities.

Also, I would like to come back on your remark regarding our two restaurants. Our “L’intempo” restaurant is opened 24hours and proposes traditional flavours of the French gastronomy. Our seasonal restaurant “Muse” is located outside, between pools and beach, and offers a refined food revisited with an exotic touch. I am quite surprise and sorry if you thought like the menus were the same. Be also assured that our rates are not higher than those which are practiced in the others four stars hotels in Monaco.

Once again, I am sorry if you didn’t have a nice stay with us. I do hope you will accept my apologies on behalf of all the staff for not having been able to make your experience memorable.

Best regards,