“A Very Pleasant Stay (but be aware of the extras)”

Le Meridien Beach Plaza
Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Monte-Carlo
Reviewed 11 March 2013

I spent four nights at the Le Meriden as part of a business event that we were holding in their conference facility. The hotel itself was very nice and I was particularly impressed with the breakfast; high quality options, served in the pleasantly uncrowded, casual restaurant. Apparently dinner is an extremely expensive activity, and so we tended to walk to nearby restaurants rather than blow too severe a hole in our expenses budget...

My room (on the 9th floor) was a good size, with two double beds, a perfectly appropriate bath (all refreshingly clean and serviceable), a decent view from the full-length windows and a small but quite usable balcony. A nice LCD TV offered a good selection of TV from around the world; a separate desk enabled work, and the Wi-FI offered very good performance (although included in our rate I believe that it is normally chargeable).

I did like their idea of offering you the option of declining house-keeping; I don't change my towels and sheets every day at home, and I'm perfectly capable of making my own bed and hanging my own towels. And giving me a €5 voucher for each day that I declined made perfect sense. This also has the advantage of avoiding being disturbed by staff just when it's least convenient...

However, for some reason I wasn't able to get a good night's sleep; one night we had absolutely terrible weather and wind, slamming into my side of the building, rattling the sliding door and even jostling the balcony furniture, but that's hardly the hotel's fault. But the other nights I also had trouble getting a good sleep; the bed and pillows were comfortable enough, the A/C worked and wasn't noisy, there were no mysterious elevator or corridor noises... Not sure why...

So, all-in-all a very nice hotel; the staff were, on the whole, very courteous and polite. A couple of the bar people and one or two of the breakfast staff could have been a bit more efficient and friendly, respectively, but it's definitely not the worst experience that I've had in France; a country not exactly renown for the attitude of those working in hospitality...

So, stay with confidence, get the most out of the facilities, enjoy a hearty breakfast, but make plans for an dinner outside. I warmly recommend 'Cosmopolitan' and 17 rue du Portier, about 10 minutes very pleasant walk towards the centre of town.

The acid test (i.e. would I return): Yes, absolutely.

Room Tip: Apparently, the bar can be very noisy (and long-running) of a Saturday night, so perhaps try to avoi...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Antipodeans_Abroad
ManuelDeVasconcelos, Directeur général at Le Meridien Beach Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2013

Dear Guest,

Greetings from Monte-Carlo !

Thank you very much for the comment you took the time to write on Trip Advisor.

We are very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and we appreciate very much all your comments.

About the service of some of the Bar and Breakfast staff members that you mentioned, it was analysed and discussed internally in order to avoid this impression in the future.

It is really pleasant to read that you enjoyed all the other aspects of you stay such as the breakfast and the room.
About our “make a green choice” action, we are indeed really concerned about the environment and we want to let our guests decide whether or not they want to contribute to our efforts.

Once again, thank you very much for your support and we hope to welcome you back in a near future.

Best Regards,

Write a ReviewReviews (1,754)

Reviewed 4 March 2013

Great hotel with amazing service, before we could even get out of the taxi the concierge had our bags ready to take to our room. The front desk staff and restaurant staff were friendly and helpful.
The room was nice and quite a large room. The view of the private beach was great, only downfall was the construction work near the hotel, with saying this the noise from the construction could hardly be heard at all. Breakfast was great with a huge selection of food. We did find that the WiFi charge was a bit steep considering its free in most hotels these days. Overall this was a fantastic stay and a great way to end our holiday, Monaco is a must see and we would definately be returning.

Room Tip: definately upgrade to a sea view
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
ManuelDeVasconcelos, Directeur général at Le Meridien Beach Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 7 March 2013

Greetings from Monaco !

Thank you very much for the comment you took the time to write on Trip Advisor.

Guests’ satisfaction is what matters us most and it is always rewarding to read that we succeed.
Your comments have been shared with all the staff and we are truly happy about it.

About the pricing for the internet access, we regret that it did not match your expectations although we are currently within or lower the pricing range charged by all our competitors.
We are now installing free Wifi in the hotel Lobby and Bar areas , and as part of the Starwood Preferred Guest program we provide already free internet as a benefit for all the SPG Gold, Platinum, and VIP members.

Concerning the outside construction noise, it is unfortunately out of our control, and please accept our sincere apologies for thr visual inconveniences.

We are truly happy to read that you enjoyed all the other aspects of your stay, and your comments have been shared with all the involved.

Thank you again for your support, and we hope to welcome you back in a near future.

Reviewed 2 March 2013

I was travelling to the Le Meridien because of a Conference which took place there in February, when Monte Carlo is pretty quiet. I had the impression that the hotel also was in a kind of wintr-sleeping mode.
Check in was problem free, I recieved a room with a view to the side - at least not to the street and my first impression was positive. The room is quite large and equipped with good furniture. Also the bathroom was offering quite some space in order to feel comfortable. The room temperature was very hot, so I tried to cool it dowm. But no matter how I adjusted the temperature, the aircondition continued to blow warm air. I ended up sleeping with an open window and other people told me that they had the same problem. Besides this the room was fine, but this is a major issue.
The second issue was that only 2 of 4 elevators were in use, the other two "under renovation". Someone told me that he stayed there 2 monthes before and it was the same. The result: Long waiting times in front of the elevators and totally overcrowded lifts at peak times. I was late for my conference, because I had to wait more than 5 minutes for a lift. Certainly not acceptable for a 5 star Hotel.
These two issues lead to a downgrad of my judgement.
The breakfast was good and offered a broad choice, also compared to 5-star standard. We once had a meal in the restaurant, which was really good as well.
The conference area also did not provide any reason to complain.
Of course it wasm to cold to swim in the sea, but it must be mentioned that the Le Meridien is the only hotel in Monte Carlo that offers a private beach.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
ManuelDeVasconcelos, Directeur général at Le Meridien Beach Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 8 March 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at Le Méridien Beach Plaza.

We are deeply sorry that your stay did not match your well deserved expectations.

Please be assured that your comments have been analyzed with all the involved and will be used to improve and correct the points mentioned. We are currently doing the yearly plan of regular rooms maintenance and will make sure that the points you referred will be addressed at the same time..

We fully empathize with your sentiments regarding the inoperative lifts during your stay. Due to the essential nature of the maintenance work, the repairs had to be scheduled during this period. Please be assured that normally every effort is made to minimize the discomfort to our guests and I would like to offer our sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused during your stay.

We were very glad to know that you enjoyed the food at the restaurant as well as the conference centre.

We sincerely hope that you will give us a chance to improve the opinion that you now kept of Le Méridien Beach Plaza in the near future.

Please do not hesitate to contact us directly if we can be of help.

Reviewed 19 February 2013

It is really tough to complain about anything in regards to this hotel. From the moment we entered, we were very pleased with the service, and that continued the entire stay. OUr View of the sea was breath taking, and the food was exceptional - especially the little tasty fruit and vegetable shots you can get with the breakfast.

The Pools were just gorgeous, and having the only private beach in Monte Carlo at your disposal...well enough said there.

Not a cheap place by any stretch of the immagination, but its Monte Carlo, so what are you going to do?

I will come back to this place - I think May our june would be just magic there.

Room Tip: Get the sea view. You are fac9ing west, and it is just breath taking!
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
ManuelDeVasconcelos, Directeur général at Le Meridien Beach Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 22 February 2013

Dear Guest,

Greetings from Monte-Carlo !

There are no words to express how happy we have been to read your nice comment.

We work daily to satisfy our guests and it is really rewarding to read that we succeed.

Your comments about the food have been shared with all the staff and we are truly happy about it.

Concerning the private beach, the pools as well as the view, it is indeed a real asset for our guests, and this, all year long.

Again, thank you very much for your support and we hope we will be able to welcome you back in May or June, or in any other month where the weather allows you to use the outside facilities as they deserve.

Reviewed 9 February 2013

I was here on business trip in February 2013. Rooms are nice, some furniture are new, some of them are a bit old but still classy. I got room with view of the ocean and pool. Personnel is very nice helpful. hotel has its own beach but unfortunately I could not use it :) Minuses are construction site at the left side of hotel and that 2 out of 4 elevators were out so waiting time was long.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Anja B
ManuelDeVasconcelos, Directeur général at Le Meridien Beach Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 13 February 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay with us.

We have been really happy to read that you enjoyed your room as well as the service and your comments have been shared with the staff.

Concerning the private beach, it is indeed a real asset for our guests and we hope that you will be able to come back when it gets warmer to enjoy it properly.

About the construction site next door, we apologize for the inconvenience, though it is unfortunately out of our control.

Thank you again for your comments and we hope to welcome you back soon on the Riviera.

Reviewed 7 February 2013

I stayed here during business trip in february 2013.
Only downpoints I can mention are:
Construction site nearby the beach. In summer time it might be annoying.
Probably rooms need a little bit of renovation.
What was really positive for me is fitness facilities. While swimming pool is good for recreation only, you can not do real excercises there, it is around 15 m only, but gym is really good for the hotel. You can find there good range of weights, benches, good choice of training machines and a lot of cardio machines. So if you need some fitness during your vacation, this is the place. Food is ok, while 35 eur for lunch might be a little too much, but that is Monaco...

Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience about your recent stay in Le Méridien Beach Plaza.

Please accept our sincere apologize for the outside construction noise which is unfortunately out of our control.

About the conditions of the room you stayed in, we are currently rolling out our yearly maintenance plan which should address the imperfections that you noted.

It was very nice to read that you have been able to enjoy the fitness centre properly and that it reached your expectations.

We hope to welcome you back in a near future, and do not hesitate to contact us directly shall you need any help with your reservation.

Reviewed 30 January 2013

Stayed here in September with a large group and found this a truly fantastic hotel, amazing service, rooms are second to none, the location is amazing and the whole experience of this hotel was well worth the money.

Will definitely be going back.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
ManuelDeVasconcelos, Directeur général at Le Meridien Beach Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 1 February 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your kind words regarding your recent stay at Le Méridien Beach Plaza.

We are thrilled to read good comments and glad that we have been able to provide you with the best.

It is true that our location is pretty unique and can be enjoyed all year long.

Thank you again for your trust, and we hope to welcome you back soon on your next visit in Monaco.