“great hotel with one big problem”

Le Meridien Beach Plaza
Ranked #7 of 10 Hotels in Monte-Carlo
from Patmos
“great hotel with one big problem”
Reviewed 13 November 2010

I am getting less patient with hotels that don't give free wifi to their clients; this hotel not only charges for wifi, it charges an outrageous amount. In my opinion, today that is like charging for water in the bathroom. I think the market should reward hotels that offer this essential service, and punish the others.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
7 Thank O_Xenos

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (258)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Hessle E.Yorks UK
Reviewed 10 November 2010

Most Hotel groups have a Loyalty Scheme, but this one is really worth joining SPG Starwood (and its free) allows you access, with 'no black out dates' to their hotels BUT this one is exceptional it also gives you a DISCOUNT on Food & Drink - What a nice touch ! You can see by our remarks that we were more than pleased with Le Meridien Beach Plaza Hotel. The Excecutive Chef here is 'Superb' and is always trying new angles on food, Breakfast and Dinner wonderful. We did the touristy thing and wondered into town to find one those Grand Restaurants with a Grand Chef - and we found one ! ! - I don't think the casino had enough Euros to pay the bill - it was not worth it - been there done that ! If you are going people watching during the day, go and have Morning Coffee or Afternoon Tea at the Cafe opposite the Cafe de Paris - ENJOY.

San Carlos, California
Reviewed 8 November 2010

Traveling to Monaco is always something to look forward to, but traveling for a conference is not necessarily always fun. Lodging was set up by the organizers of the conference, and they choose where attendees sleep. Upon arriving, I was more than pleasantly surprised to see the hotel in which I was given to stay was Le Meridien. I have had nothing but great experiences when staying at Starwood Resorts and imparticular, this resort. With the only private beach in Monaco, this hotel boasts spectacular view of the Mediterranean, a functional gym, spacious pools, a spa, business center, and a host of other amenities. However, the best characteristic about this hotel was their staff. They were helpful, professional and very, very nice. I would recommend this hotel when traveling to the South of France.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
LeMeridienBeachPlaza, Directeur général at Le Meridien Beach Plaza, responded to this review, 26 November 2010
Dear anichols926,

Thank you for your kind comments.
Your feedback is greatly appreciated and I was happy to read that your stay with us was a pleasant experience...despite the fact you were in Monaco for business!
I have brought your comments to the attention of those concerns, and we look forward to welcoming you back in a near future...maybe this time for leisure!

Hoersholm, Denmark
Reviewed 8 November 2010

This hotel is very nice because it is directly on the beach. And you cannot hear any noice from the city nearby.

London
Reviewed 25 October 2010

My husband and I stayed here in June, and I could not have been more underwhelmed by this hotel. The clear benefit to the property is the private beach, but that is about all it has going for it. I arrived at the hotel earlier than the 4pm check-in time (at 1:30 or 2 I would guess). I went to check in and was told that my room would not be ready for an hour. This was not a problem for me, as I was the one who arrived early. The man at the desk told me my room would be ready in an hour, and I told him I would have lunch by the pool while I waited. I went back to the front desk to pick up my key at 4:30, long after the ‘hour’ wait I had expected and after the check-in time at the hotel. Alas, my room was still not ready. I went online and checked for available beachfront king rooms, and there was availability. I’m still not quite sure why nobody was able to put me in another room. After half an hour at the front desk (no offer or sitting at the bar with a complimentary beverage while they handle their issue), I was given my key. I don’t know what was ‘Deluxe’ about my room (131 I think). It was on the first floor, directly above the lobby, and was right at the elevator banks. Boy was it loud. Between the renovations in the lobby below me and the people getting on/off the elevator, it was miserable. I called the front desk to ask if I could be moved to another room (again, online showed ample availability), and I was told no. We are SPG Gold members and stay at dozens of Starwood properties each year; I’m surprised we could receive no help whatsoever.

As for the price, I am aware that Monte Carlo is expensive. This does not phase me at all; being completely taken advantage of by a hotel that is already charging top dollar for such average facilities does. Dry pasta with pesto (for lunch at the pool restaurant) is 25 euro, a club sandwich is 27, the lunch buffet is 42 (and is quite average). Also, the hotel periodically shuts down the pool for private events and kicks the paying guests out of the pool area. During our stay, we were all told to leave with no notice. This cocktail party did not come out of nowhere- could the hotel have not put notes under people’s doors or leave messages on the voicemail the evening before to inform its customers.

The management at this hotel should be thankful that the property has the private beach. Without this one unique feature, this hotel could not get away with the mediocrity that haunted me, and will await you, during your stay.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
Dear NoraNJtoLondon,

In first instance I would like to thank you for having taken the time to write your concerns about your stay with us in last June.

I was sorry to learn of your disappointment with your room and also with the poor experience of service you experienced, especially at the Reception during the check-in. Be assured that I have shared your comments with our Front Office Manager, and that actions have been taken in order to increase the recognition of our valued SPG members.

Also, I have noted that you judged our F&B services overpriced. However our rates are not higher than those which are practiced in the others four star hotels in Monte-Carlo.

In regards to the cocktail around the pool you mentioned, I guess it was one of our famous "BBQ by the Pool" settled every Friday evening during the summer season. I am sorry if you were disturbed by the set up of this event which is though most appreciated both by our local and hotel customers.

In closing, I do hope that you will not judge us solely on the basis of this particular experience, and that we will have the pleasure to welcome you back in a near future.

London
Reviewed 23 October 2010

Have just returned from a three night stay at the Le Meridien Beach Plaza which was a special trip for my 40th birthday from 18th - 21st October. The hotel is stunning, beautiful setting, private beach, even the lift is something to admire. The staff were fantastic, a real assit to this hotel, we forgot our english plug convertor and we was given one to borrow within minutes of asking and all free of charge!! We also had a huge surprise on our return one night after the staff had seen my birthday cards in the room and had left 2 glasses of champagne and sweets for us to enjoy, this was a total surprise and just shows you the level of service this hotel and staff give to ensure you have a wonderful stay. The concierge were amazing and extremely helpful with all of our requests. Our room was on the side of the hotel on the 6th floor and was beautiful, we didnt have a see view but we actually enjoyed watching the ferrari's and other expensive cars driving up the roads. We loved the pools and was able to swim in the indoor and outdoor pool in October as the weather was fabulous. The hotel is only about a 10 minute walk (and what a beautiful walk that is) to Casino Square, Port and Cafe de Paris. There is also a bus stop right outside the hotel which you can travel on for only 1 euro, fab service and bus drivers also very helpful. Monaco is by far the cleanest country i have ever seen, everything is immaculate. The only downside to our trip was the french strike which no one could have planned, it meant that i could not spend my birthday with my friends and family who had travelled to Nice to visit me, some had flights cancelled and didnt get there at all, it was upsetting but we made the best of a bad situation, how could you not when your in one of the most beautiful and romantic countrys in the world. If you thinking of staying at this hotel then think no more and book, you certainly will not be disappointed thats for sure.
Again a big thank you to all the staff at the Le Meridien Beach Plaza Hotel for your attention to detail and for my wonderful surprise with the champagne it was really appreciated.
Kind regards,
Sharon and Jason

Dear Sharon and Jason,

Happy to read that you had a memorable Birthday at Le Méridien Beach Plaza!
I sincerely thank you for having let us know how impressed you were with the service you received, and I am glad to learn that you appreciated the special gestures from our employees to make you stay special.

We look forward to welcoming back in a near future in Monte-Carlo.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 October 2010

This was my second stay at the Meridien in Monte Carlo. Beautiful, clean hotel with excellent service, pleasant staff and its own private beach ! Rooms are really spacious and beautifully clean. You really feel like you are getting 5* service.
The hotel is in a great position and the bus stops right outside. All of this, plus you are in Monte Carlo ! The Casino, Palace, Harbour, etc are all within easy reach. If you are looking for a relaxing break with luxury accommodation then the Meridien Plaza ticks all of the boxes. We can`t wait to go back next year ! ! !

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family