“Mixed feelings review of this hotel”

Fairmont Monte Carlo
Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Monte-Carlo
“Mixed feelings review of this hotel”
Reviewed 17 August 2014

My daughter and I arrived at the Fairmont Monte Carlo for a 3 night stay before embarking on a Seabourn cruise. When we arrived, we were taken to our "garden view" room ($450/night). My daughter, who travels a lot in Texas on business, insisted that we upgrade to a better room. Our view was of the back of the massive hotel and quite un -"garden like". We did get a better view in the next room ($100 more per night!), but the room itself was the same as the first one. The hotel designer must have wanted to give a cruise-ship feel to the hotel. The interior was complete with porthole mirrors on the wall, hallways that look like a cruise ship, etc. - and definitely not a Seabourn cruise ship!!!! All in all, our experience there was mediocre at best. The lobby bar service turned into self-service. (If you wanted a drink, you literally had to get up, find a server, and place your order. Then, the wait for the drink...... ) One high note about this very expensive hotel: my daughter and I got a driver to take us up to Eze for lunch. While we were en route, I remembered that I had left the in-room safe door open. It held our passports, fine jewelry, and money. We were to be gone for at least 6 hours. When we got to Eze, I asked the maitre-d at our restaurant if he would call the hotel and report that this had been done. He did so, and upon our return to the hotel, the safe was locked, and our contents were there. Kudos to the Fairmont for taking care of this. My mistake could have ended very badly.

Room Tip: The garden room that we were assigned did not have a view of the garden. If you stay at this hotel...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
FMC98, Directeur général at Fairmont Monte Carlo, responded to this review, 25 August 2014
Dear Madam, Dear Sir,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience on Trip Advisor. We have noted the comments you made in regards to the room and your comments will be taken into consideration as we plan for our next phase of renovations. Besides that, I am happy to see that my colleagues were able to assist you in closing your safe. The security of our guests is our top priority and it is truly our pleasure to be at your service. While I understand there may have been a shortfall, I invite you to contact me directly at Louis.starck@fairmont.com to discuss your experience in further detail.
We hope to have another opportunity to show you the quality service and product the Fairmont Monte Carlo provides itself on having.

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (558)
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Paris, France
Reviewed 16 August 2014

Incorrect booking information (twin beds instead of king size).
Not possible to switch off completely air conditioning. No solution found by the staff.
Lack/poor Internet connection for 2 days.

hotel position and food are great.

Review collected in partnership with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts

Dear Madam, Dear Sir,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on Trip Advisor. I have taken notice of your comments concerning the incorrect booking information and air conditioning and I can assure you that we strive to deliver a high quality of service to all of our guests at all times. While we recognise that there may be shortfall, I thank you for bringing this to my attention as it allows us to share your feedback with our team in order to prevent this from reoccurring in the future. I would like to invite you to contact me directly, at your convenience, at Louis.starck@fairmont.com, so we can speak in further detail about your experience.

Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 16 August 2014

We ended a 10 day Seabourn cruise in Monte Carlo and decided to extend our trip by staying here at the Fairmont for 3 days.
The property is lovely and the location perfect.
Unfortunately, we had multiple experiences of poor service that tarnished the overall experience.
Upon arrival, we couldn't find any porter (though there were many running around) to help bring our luggage into the hotel. So, I went to the front desk to check in and asked the gentlemen there to help us find a porter. He was extremely apologetic and gracious and helped us immediately find a porter, but this isn't what you expect at a 5 star property.
We went to have lunch at Horizon and waited for roughly 15 minutes after being seated at the table for someone to come over with menus and ask us if we wanted something to drink. The food and service after that were fine, but it was a poor first impression.
At the pool, a young lady greeted us and told us to find some lounges and that she would come over to bring towels. She never returned. In fact, we saw her do something similar to 2 other couples. In one case an older lady asked for help with an umbrella and was told 'I'll be right back" but she never did return. Another couple order something to drink and never got their order.
I hate to bring this up, especially as we did receive lovely service from other people (notably from from room service, the concierge and at Nobu), but it's just not acceptable when you're paying these prices to have such uneven service.
The room was lovely, spacious and offered a terrific view.
The pool area is terrific with plenty of comfortable sun beds.
If I were to return to Monte Carlo, I doubt I'd stay again.

Dear Sir,

Thank you for taking time to share your experience on Trip Advisor.
I regret to see that the hotel did not meet your expectations. Please rest assured of our constant willingness to offer the best service at all times. While I understand you have been disappointed, I would appreciate to be in contact with you at your convenience, trusting that we will yet give us another chance to redeem ourselves in your eyes and welcome you back again to the Fairmont Monte Carlo. I would therefore like to invite you to contact me directly, at your convenience, at Louis.starck@fairmont.com, so we can speak in further detail about your experience.

We hope that you will give us another opportunity to show you the quality product and service the Fairmont Monte Carlo prides itself on having.

Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed 16 August 2014

The Fairmont in Montecarlo is great. The locations, rooms, breakfast and everything about the hotel is great. The service could be more polite but this is France so one does get used to it. Overall a great hotel and would definitely come back.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
FMC98, Directeur général at Fairmont Monte Carlo, responded to this review, 22 August 2014
Dear Madam, Dear Sir,

I would like to thank you for sharing your valuable experience on Trip Advisor. I'm very happy to see that you enjoyed your experience at our hotel, from our central location and friendly staff to the comfortable rooms. We appreciate your comments and hope to welcome you back to the Fairmont Monte Carlo again on your next trip to Monaco.

Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 15 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed here before our cruise and found the hotel immaculate, conveniently located and very enjoyable. Room was large and the bed extremely large and comfortable.

The staff were all extremely helpful and responded cheerfully to our inquiries.

We chose to have dinner in the hotel one evening. The food was excellent and the view sublime. The prices were high but not unexpected considering where we were.

The location was perfect for exploring and we enjoyed walking to the Casino and nearby Japanese gardens. I would absolutely recommend this hotel.

Stayed May 2014
Dear Madam, Dear Sir,

I would like to thank you for sharing your valuable experience on Trip Advisor. It is a great pleasure to learn that you spent a wonderful time at the Fairmont Monte Carlo. We seriously take the customers’ comments into account and I will convey yours to our teams. We are delighted to see that you enjoyed the property and the facilities that the hotel has to offer.

Your recommendation is our greatest reward and we hope to have another opportunity to welcome you back to the Fairmont Monte Carlo soon.

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 15 August 2014

Wow! What a place to be - at the famous Grand Prix hairpin bend. The entrance was crowded with Luxury sports cars - great sight and sound of the cars. we rented a car from Nice & upon arrival they drove our car into the carpark & brought it for us daily - Not valet but a carpark service, very convenient as the entrance was always so happening.
We were gvn a room which had a smell but the staff immediately moved us. We had a room on the 6th floor overlooking the Mediterranean & the Harbour. Really awesome esp with the balcony. Stayed 3 nites although wished could stay a week. Heavely beds. Service anywhere in the hotel was efficient & with a smile. Highly recommend this hotel. Great NOBU restaurant on the Ground floor - reservation compulsory. Food & service divine. Breakfast on 7th floor at the Horizon was very very good. They served great fresh fruits daily. We even had dinner there one nite. Very good. 7th floor access to Cafe D'Paris & Casino square where all the happenings are.
Tip : Great hairdresser there, see Audrey for recommendation.
Spa was fabulous & different but relaxing.

Room Tip: Rooms on higher floor sea view with balcony & facing the harbour too.
Dear Madam, Dear Sir,

I would like to thank you for sharing your valuable experience on Trip Advisor. We are delighted to see that you enjoyed your stay from the service to the Sea View rooms and NOBU. We are also proud that you enjoyed the famous Formula 1 Fairmont hairpin bend. Your compliments are our greatest reward and I am delighted to share your comments with our teams.

Thank you for your recommendation; we hope to have another opportunity to welcome you back to the Fairmont Monte Carlo soon.

Morganville, New Jersey
Reviewed 14 August 2014

I have been coming the Fairmont Monte Carlo every year for many years. This year I noticed a vast improvement on the overall experience. All staff were so wonderful and pleasant to everyone. Magnifique !!

Review collected in partnership with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts

1 Thank agwald
Dear Madam, Dear Sir,

I would like to thank you for sharing your valuable experience on Trip Advisor. We would like to thank you for your kind words and your loyalty to the Fairmont Monte Carlo. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Fairmont Monte Carlo soon.