“Great Location, Clean Rooms and Nice Staff”

Hotel Ambassador Monaco
Ranked #10 of 10 Hotels in Monte-Carlo
Reviewed 13 November 2009

My wife and I stayed for 1 day/night in Monte-Carlo and the Hotel Ambassador was very accommodating. We arrived by 9am, too early to check in, but the hotel allowed us to use a changing room and store our bags while we explored the city. All of the people at the front desk helped us with maps, restaurant recommendations, buses, etc.

The rooms are basic, but all you need. Our biggest stipulation is that it has to be clean, and our room was very clean. The bathroom was a typical bathroom that you would find in the US with a tub/shower. Not the typical small showers, this was nice.

It's a bit of a hike to walk to the Casino, but a great way to see the town. It's about a 5minute walk to the port and 10 minutes up to the Palace. The casino was a 20 minute walk.

Hotel Ambassador seemed to be a more reasonably priced hotel in Monte-Carlo, but it was very nice, friendly, and clean. We would stay again.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TravelKC1
IIT, Front Office Manager at Hotel Ambassador Monaco, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2010

Very pleased to welcome you Sir, and your remarks make all my staff happy for the day, and myself proud of their job. Many thanks and hope to welcome you again. Best regards.

Reviewed 7 November 2009

We have visited Monaco several times in the past five years but have always stayed in Nice, this time we decided to stay in Monaco. We picked the Ambassador due to its location and price. We were not disapointed. Yes the rooms are dated but they were very clean. Against hotel rooms in Nice the Ambassador's bedroom was a normal business hotel room size. Yes the room did overlook a building site but we didn't go on holiday to sleep during the day! The staff were polite and friendly. We found the location excellent. Would definitely go back

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple

It was a pleasure to welcome you and your wife, and even more pleased to read your positives remarks. As you wrote the rooms aren't brand new, but clean. Well since you last stay, we have taken away the carpet and put parquet, (wooden floor), much nicer and even more clean.
Also the reception has totally been changed, it's much more modern and you'll see shortly the pictures on our website. Many thanks. Best regards.

Reviewed 26 October 2009

Dirty, old, noisy rooms, furniture looks like it's from garbage thrown out on the street, like from "Sanford and Son", or "the Goodwill". Across the street is a football stadium sized hole in the ground filled with construction from like 6 in the morning 'till God knows when - with jack-hammers galore etc. Carpet's stained and dirty and old, and my pillow smelled so bad I couldn't sleep. Like someone had died on it, honest to God.
Bathroom old and cramped, like something from 1960's Moscow, and the breakfast was a dismal joke.
You can hear EVERYTHING in the other rooms and halls, and it's downright creepy and scary.
And when I left two days early and complained, the manager didn't even care.
The worst place I've ever stayed in my life.
I actually felt scared trying to sleep there. Disgusting.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled solo
2  Thank InlovewGstaad

Dear Sir, I'm very sorry if you didn't enjoy at all you stay in our Hotel. The building works normally start at 8 a.m. and finish at 6 p.m. and I'm amazed to heard works so early in the moorning, fi you had given us the oppurtunity we could have upgraded your room and I'm sure you would have enjoyed your stay, like most of our guest write regularly on thei remarks.
That's why, maybe, the manager didn't look very interested. However since then the building works are going much better, they have stopped drilling with jack-hammers, and started to build up, so they are much more less noisy. Concerning the carpet it has already been changed, we have recently put parquet, (wooden floor), which is much more clean and nicer, and we hope by the end of this year and the begging of next year to change all or at least part of the furniture of our rooms. Well even you weren't happy I hope once everything will have changed inside and outside, to welcome you again. Best regards

Reviewed 22 October 2009

Some interesting reviews from other users, but this is my second visit - the first was on business in October 2008. Perhaps more importantly it was made by choice, and I would never go back to a hotel that I did not like.

Room was more than large enough, with a double bed, and a mini-bar with prices of such good value, it made the out-of-hotel drink costs quite disgraceful. Unlike last year when I had a room-view at the front, but with the noise from the road, this year I had a room at the back with a view of the close wall of the building next door. It was, however, very quiet and I slept well all three nights!

Centralised location just 7 minutes gentle walk to the harbour, or just a few minutes walk uphill to the Royal Palace, which can be seen on the hill-side from outside the hotel.

Desk staff are helpful, although the restaurant lady on Monday morning could have at least smiled... but I suppose it was a Monday morning.

If I go back to Monaco in 2010 I will make the Ambassador my choice for trip no. 3. Why pay more unnecessarily..?

Downside? Why is the shower head wall bracket at waist level..? I have a bruise on my forehead from knocking the bracket whilst picking up the shower head from out of the bath... Very strange practice...

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank RaceAce55
Reviewed 18 July 2009

Price was 180e for a single room - Queen size bed though. Mini-bar, bath. Room was pretty nice and Wifi was included and with good signal. Even had more than one network. Breakfast was usual fare, nothing fancy. All in all, recommended. Staff friendly too. And the reception chick was hot!

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 July 2009

Just come back from a long weekend to watch the Tour de France. Booked Ambassador at last minute, with reservations due to some Tripadvisor comments. No need to be worried though.

Hotel is in a great location for sightseeing and getting around and it was this that made the difference to our trip. Airport shuttle bus drop off is 2 mins from hotel, which is so convenient + Port Hercule 5 mins walk, Casino 15 mins walk and Palace/Castle/Aquarium 5-10 mins walk. Nearby is a lovely Thai restaurant in Rue St Milo + a lovely little pizzeria 5 mins walk downhill on left.

Yes, hotel is dated - old wooden headboard, dresser and wardrobe, but it is a decent size, clean and air conditioned + bathroom a decent size. It doesn't boast the views of the Ports or mountains that other hotels do, but then it costs a fraction of the price that they charge. I don't know what expectations others have of a budget hotel in expensive Monaco, but we liked it + you really don't spend much time in the room on a city break. Hotel staff could not have been more friendly or helpful, giving us direction and transport advice and even tips on where to watch the Tour de France. They spoke English well and were patient in listening to our broken French. Breakfast was continental buffet and was fine to start the day + on our last day we were leaving to get the 0645 airport shuttle bus, which is 45 mins before breakfast starts, but the staff offered to get us coffee etc before we left. Thank you Hotel Ambassador for a lovely stay.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 June 2009

My fiancee won a weekend in Monte Carlo in an online National Lottery draw. We were booked into the Ambassador for our 3 night stay.
We were flown into the resort on a helicopter from Nice airport as part of the prize (Which I would recommend to anyone if you have the cash, they advertised it as 400 euro return!!).
We were in room 35 on the third floor of the hotel. The room was very clean but could probably do with a bit of a refurb. It was at the front of the hotel and had a view of the street. There is building work going on across the street but not at weekends.
The location is central and is very close to the Palace. However, if you are going to Monte Carlo for the casino and designer shops be aware that this hotel is about a 1.5 mile walk which is mostly up a very, very steep hill!
Part of our prize was a night at the casino. We took a taxi for this night which cost 10 euro.
The area around the casino is very busy with tourists and (very!!) expensive cars. For those interested in the casino I went for a look earlier in the day of our visit and was allowed inside the foyer area wearing flip flops and shorts.
In the evening we dressed smartly. A dress for my fiancee and trousers/shirt for me. A jacket and tie is NOT required for men, that is a huge myth.
While in Monaco we ate at various restaurants including Stars 'n' bars, The Miramar hotel and La Provence (This was my favourite, just around the corner from the hotel. They do a 3 course set lunch for 17 euro).
We only ate breakfast in the hotel which was ok. Croissants, rolls, meats and cheeses etc.
There is a lovely little bar around the corner from the hotel called 'Le Jazz'. 20 Euro for a bottle of wine which was the cheapest we found. 'Slammers' bar is also nearby and close to the ferrari garage. This was more expensive (30 Euro for a bottle) but also had a nice atmosphere.
In all, I was slightly disappointed that we were put in the Ambassador when there is several more luxurious hotels around. But the friendliness of the staff and cleanliness of the hotel was satisfying.
Finally, I would recommend going on the train tour. It leaves from outside the museum (7 Euro). If not for the education, it is good for seeing where everything is and takes about 25 minutes to complete.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Wazza78
IIT, Ignazio TODARO - Front Desk Manager at Hotel Ambassador Monaco, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2009

Many thanks for your remarks. I hope you will get back soon and appreciate also our Italien Restaurant specialized in Pasta & Pizza, you'll be able to chose within 50 different of each one.