“A Happy Return”

Columbus Monte-Carlo
Ranked #9 of 10 Hotels in Monte-Carlo
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 10 December 2013

From the very friendly concierge staff, to the reception desk (where they knew we had stayed with them before) to the charming staff in the breakfast/dining room, we felt warmly welcomed once again. We had rooms with balconies and an amazing view to the sea, though it was a bit sad that they were digging up the rose garden, so that aspect wasn't so pleasant. The Columbus is one of my favourite hotels. It's in a great spot for walking into town and up to the Palace, and convenient for the excellent bus service that runs around Monaco. And nothing is too much trouble. We were meeting a friend for dinner at Quai des Artistes and when we went down to get a taxi, the concierge got her assistant to run us around in the hotel car. You can't get better treatment than that. Check in is quick and efficient, checkout the same. Anything you want is organised for you, and the whole place runs like clockwork. Dinner was lovely, and really my only criticism would be breakfast. It would be nice to have a change from scrambled eggs occasionally. Perhaps if I'd asked, I could have had an omelette, as the chef was working away in full view behind the window.

Room Tip: Nowhere seems to be noisy, but having a balcony is nice, particularly in summer.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank seawife
Clementine58, Public Relations Manager at Columbus Monte-Carlo, responded to this reviewResponded 11 December 2013

Dear regular guest and Columbus fan ! Many thanks for sending such a nice and informative message. Our future guests will get a complete picture of our staff attitude and the different services provided. This is very rewarding to hear from regular guests the hotel is one of their favorite and we do hope to see you back down to Monaco in the near future. Kind regards. C.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,367)

Reviewed 30 November 2013

We stayed at the Columbus for 3 nights, along with some friends. We found the hotel to be in a very good location, and our room(s) were very comfortable and spotlessly clean, with good towels and toiletries in the bathrooms. The bedlinen was spotless too and the beds were very comfortable. The staff, in the main, were very professional, and pleased to help. The buffet breakfast was excellent, with plenty of pastries, fruit, cereals, toast, yoghurts, and some of the creamiest and delicious scrambled egg I have ever eaten. The hotel is a couple of minutes from the heliport (we helicoptered in from Nice and out again) - very exciting and a wonderful way to viewing the coastline and area. Ride takes about 7 minutes. It took us about 15 minutes to walk into the centre of Monaco, and about 20 minutes to walk to the main harbour. You get great views of the Rock and Palace from Fontvielle harbour, which is a couple of minutes walk from the hotel, and has an array of restaurants and bars there too. It is quite pricey to eat there, - we found it less expensive around the Palace. There is a supermarket quite close by which sells sandwiches and pastries etc.

Only drawback was that we had trouble with the minibar. We were given some wine as a present by friends, and I put it in the minibar fridge to chill. Unfortunately the space given as "personal" space was not big enough for the neck of the wine bottle, and I moved 3 items out of the bar in order to make room for it. I then found a notice on the top shelf of the fridge, which I assumed to be the bar tariff. It was - but there was also a warning on it that nothing should be removed from the fridge in order to use the fridge for personal items, or we would be charged 50 euros for "deep cleaning". I quickly removed our wine, and put the other 3 items straight back. I thought no more about it, until the morning when we left and the receptionist presented us with a bill for 50 euros. There was a sensor on the fridge, I was very unhappy, and explained what I had done, which was a genuine mistake. She still insisted the bill had to be paid. I was extremely upset by her attitude and my husband said that if they insisted on charging us 50 euros, then we wanted 50 euros worth of items from the minibar, or we would claim a chargeback from our credit card company as we did not think they could legally charge us for items we had not consumed, merely removed and replaced from the minibar. I asked to see the manager. After a long phone call between and receptionist and I guess the manager, she said that the bill would be waived. Thank you Columbus!! Phew!!.

Could I suggest that if the hotel wants to continue this "big brotherish" and frankly arrogant and offending practice, that the warning notice be stuck on the front of the fridge, not inside it?? It really cheapened what would have been an excellent weekend. I am therefore rating the hotel as "Very Good" rather than "Excellent".

Room Tip: The rooms on the 2nd floor have bigger balconies than the 5th floor.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank BigH631961

Dear Guest, we thank you for forwarding your kind and detailed comments. These will be very helpful for our future guests. We are sincerely sorry about the mixup with the minibar and can understand your position and disappointment. This procedure was put into place as during the summer, we experience a lot of guests using a minibar as a fridge (which it is not) and disturbing the system. We apologize for the lack of diplomacy and have given instructions for dealing with this problem in a better way. Best regards. C.

Reviewed 27 November 2013

Our experience is very different to the previous reviewers but thought it was important to say it as it was. We stayed at the Columbus for a friends 50th birthday in October. We booked a junior suite and were advised these were on the top floor. When we checked in we were told the top floor only had suites, not junior suites. The lady on reception was very helpful and gave us two rooms on the top floor (suites). Our friends were in a room overlooking the currently under construction rose garden, which they requested and we had a sea view. Our room did have a sea view with a tiny balcony which could just about fit two chairs on. Some of the rendering was coming off the wall onto the balcony floor. The carpet in the sitting room was thread bare, with large threads laying broken on top of the carpet. The suite consisted of a walk in wardrobe, sitting room, bedroom, bathroom with separate toilet shower and bath. The way the rooms were configured made the bedroom very small, with the bed facing the door into the room from the hotel corridor, which I have never seen before. In the toilet the plaster had been repaired but not painted, which looked a bit shabby.

We used the ice machine along the corridor, which had a specific room. There was no light in the room and the machine was balanced precariously on a wooden cafe chair, and there was no scoop to get the ice out.

There were no instructions in our room about setting the air conditioner, so while one of the staff were in the room I asked him how to do it. He was very helpful but could not set it either and said he would get the engineer to fix it, as it was hot in the room. When nobody arrived we called reception and they said the air conditioner was now switched off for winter.

If you wanted to sit outside in the restaurant for breakfast the waiter told us not to leave food unattended as the birds would take it. This was not an exaggeration as even when you were sat there the birds would still try and take your food, which was quite disconcerting.

The positives were the bed was comfortable and the room was quiet. The staff were pleasant particularly concierge staff. If you want to use the helicopter for transfers or the bus to get around, both are at the top of the street, so very convenient. The swimming pool (unheated) has a good sitting area with lots of loungers which the pool attendant will move for you. It it however through the garden out the back of the hotel and is for the use of the whole housing complex, not just the hotel.

If I was to return to Monaco I would prefer to stay in a hotel in Monte Carlo e.g. Hotel Hermitage rather than in Fontvieille, which is where this hotel is located.

Room Tip: Rose garden rooms appear bigger
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank holidaysnandsea

Dear Guest, we thank you for sending your comments. We can appreciate the different points you raise (the carpet, the lack of air conditioning information) but can assure you you were staying on the higher floor where you can find the best suites of the hotel (direct seaview, larger space, separate lounge and bedroom areas, walk in wardrobe) whereas the regular Junior Suites on the lower floors are tighter but still the same seaview. Columbus is a 3star hotel and cannot (and does not want to) compete with the Palace or 4star hotels located in the downtown area, such as the Hermitage. We do not have the same tariffs either. Best regards. C.

Reviewed 19 November 2013

This was not my first time staying here but I can highly recommend. The rooms are lovely and quiet, well sound-proofed so heard no outside noise. On checking in I had been allocated a junior suite which I had previously upgraded to, but found there was only one bed and wanted two beds. They were very fast is changing the room for me with the minimum of bother. Breakfast is very good, absolutely clean and a good selection with attentive waiting staff even though its a buffet. Hot food consisted of scrambled eggs and mushrooms every day, so not a full English as we know it, but plenty of breads and cold meat, toast and pastries. If it is your first time to Monaco, do not reply on the desk or concierge for information, it is very limited.
The hotel have a shuttle which runs all the time, but it's pretty laid back so don't bank on it if you are in a rush. Extremely helpful with me though, as I needed some pain medication on a Sunday, and you can only buy meds from a pharmacy (even the basic paracetamol cannot be sold anywhere but a pharmacy) Christian on concierge went out of his way to find me one for which I am extremely grateful, nothing was too much trouble for him, and his manners are impeccable, they are very lucky to have him working there.
I would definitely go back to stay there, the only downside was housekeeping, not as good as my previous stay, and had to make up and put away the sofa-bed, they didn't do it but just left it, and also the toiletries were not replenished so had to ask a couple of times. If you need clean towels remember to put them IN the bath, else they will stay where you dropped them.

The location of this hotel is great, it is not in the centre of town, but in a beautiful quiet area opposite the Princess Grace gardens. There are turtles there, and ducks and birds, all very tame and follow you around wanting bread. Turn right out of the hotel, and a short 5 minute walk is the supermarket which is handy for water and any items you may want. Monaco is very expensive, so you might want to purchase some items in there, especially if you have children and need some drinks for them. Cab to the airport is Euro 95 - but right opposite the hotel is a bus stop where you can get a non-stop bus into Nice for just 15 Euro's. An even less expensive option is the regular bus, you need to take two, and its around 5 euro's total. The best bus info is at Nice airport, grab a flyer so you can absorb the different costs.

Room Tip: Ask for a balcony that you can sit out on, with a table and chairs as some of the balconies are very...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank M D

Dear Guest, many thanks for forwarding your comments which are so detailed and informative that we can hardly add any suggestions. We thank you deeply for your kind appreciation and hope to see you back to Columbus in the near future. Kind regards. C.

Reviewed 15 November 2013

The hotel is a bit away from the centre of Monte Carlo (about 15 minutes walk or a 15 Euro taxi) but is very convenient to the Heliport (less than 5 mins by car) but I didn't find my room to be noisy. There is also a huge Carrefour about a 5 minute walk away which is good for a bit of shopping and a Marina behind the hotel. There's an English pub nearby if you have a craving for some English food or drink.

The hotel is in an apartment complex which is quite old but the hotel was clean, but could do with new carpets here and there (hence my poor rating). The concierge and front desk staff were great, very helpful and their warm attitude is much better than Hermitage / Fairmont which I found quite bland.

Saying that, the kitchen staff were on strike when I stayed which meant no breakfast for 1 day of my stay, however the hotel did knock that off the bill. Strikes can't be helped but it was an unfortunate incident in an otherwise positive stay. Breakfast was so-so, it's not a full English so don't expect that.

I'd definately go back again, it's very good value for money and friendly.

Room Tip: If you ask well in advance the staff can offer some rooms with a sea view.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank GMO1020
Clementine58, Responsable relations publiques at Columbus Monte-Carlo, responded to this reviewResponded 18 November 2013

Dear Guest, many thanks for sending your report and we are very pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay and found the place cosy and great value for money. We are sincerely sorry about the inconvenience on your first day with the strike of part of the restaurant staff. As it was obviously unexpected, the employees on site did not have the possibility to cover and replace the missing ones. We thank you for your understanding. Best regards. C.

Reviewed 13 November 2013

My fourth stay in this hotel nestled in Fontvieille not far from the marina and always the same feeling like beeing at home!
The staff welcomes you always warmly (thanks again to Mr Anouil) and despite the fact this resort could be maybe refurbished, it's always the place I choose to organise one of my annual seminar in april.
Peaceful neighborhood just in front of the rose garden (except in this period where heavy works are in progress) and within walking distance from the heliport of Monaco which is very convenient.
No noise disturbance knowing that helicopters only fly during the day as from 8am and not in the evening or at night.
Should you plan to sleep late in the morning, I would advise to book a room on the backside of the hotel!
Diner can be taken at the hotel and will bring you an ideal moment or not far from the hotel (2' walk) at the Marina, facing Monaco rock, at the Beef bar, Constantine, La Saliere or Graziella...(Constantine as personnal choice, really worthy)
Last tip for your car : parking du port, about 14eur/night
For its atmosphere and its warm welcome, I will return next year!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the back side of the hotel
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Regular Guest, this is always great and rewarding to hear that regular guests keep coming back to us year after year. You mention you feel at home at Columbus, and this is exactly how we like our guests to feel. Your report is very detailed and informative and will give a pretty good picture of the hotel ambiance and the Fontvieille environment. The rosegarden renovation is doing well - the water wall is now built, next spring the garden will be larger and splendid and certainly a great asset for the area. See you next year to see the result. Kind regards. C.

Reviewed 9 November 2013

My wife and I stayed here in April for a weekend. Staff were friendly and efficient. Whilst not as grand as some of its competitors it has a lovely feel about it. Not in the main tourist area but better for it, 15 min walk and you can join the crowds if required. Fontville is quieter and has a more residential atmosphere which makes it so much more stylish than the main hub.
If in Monaco at another hotel I would always try to find time for a drink or lunch at the Columbus, it puts a smile on my face.

Room Tip: Don't bother with a car from the helipad, its only 100m walk.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Clementine58, Public Relations Manager at Columbus Monte-Carlo, responded to this reviewResponded 11 November 2013

Dear Guest,
Many thanks for your kind message that we have forwarded onto our staff as usual. We are very pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and generally talking, your break in Monaco. Fontvieille is a very nice area and will be even nicer next year, when the Rosegarden opposite the hotel will be completely reopened after a thorough renovation, extension, always dedicated to Princess Grace. Next to the hotel, you also have plenty of restaurant, bars, a shopping mall, several museums, the beachs - access is easy with the city bus stop 50 m away from the hotel, with the airport bus stop, the heliport opposite the hotel. We hope to see you back to Columbus. Kind regards. C.