Stayed for 3 nights in November when the hotel was not crowded. The stay was excellent but here are some plus and minus points:
1) good location next to harbour and less than 10 minutes walk to the Casino and Hotel de Paris area.
2) the upper floors overlook the port and towards the palace.
3) all rooms face the harbour direction.
4) we chose a de-luxe bedroom which is large- plus separate Jacuzzi, shower, bidet and toilet.
5) friendly service from reception - also the Italian breakfast lady was pleasant.
6) the buffet breakfast had a good and large choice
7) although a 4 star hotel, it did not feel unwelcoming to anyone coming in wearing smart casual clothing.
1) in our 5th floor room, some noise could be heard from the restaurant on the 6th floor above (scraping chairs etc.)
2) no free coffee nor tea in the bedroom. Cartons of coffee are available but the charge for the self-made drink without milk is 4 euros
3) there is a 20 euro fine for any food brought into the hotel from outside. We never did this but were never sure if this restriction included bottles of water - the mini-bar in the room charged the usual hotel extortionate water and alcohol prices.
4) the room carpet had stains and needed a good deep clean or replacement.
Possibly not a minus point but feel that I should mention this:
# enjoyed the Jacuzzi but felt guilty at wasting water each time that we emptied it. Also it took nearly 10 minutes to fill and only would sensibly accept one person. However care needed when seated as easy to seal the suction pump and stop the flow of the jets.
# again not a minus point, we looked at the restaurant menu but nothing suited the pair of us. Also it lacked atmosphere as no one else was in there at the time though no doubt it would be pleasant on a warm evening. There is a choice of expensive and low cost restaurants within walking distance of the hotel especially nearby the harbour.
a) we took the open get-on/get-off tourist bus (it started almost outside the hotel on the F1 chicane) to get to know the area. Thus later that day and the following day we knew what we wanted to see in more detail.
b) suggest you visit the palace at 11h15 to see the changing of the guard.
c) If you like the F1, take the 2 mile walk around the streets and try to visualise what happens in May of every year.
Would we be willing to stay in this hotel again? Yes, almost certainly.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Expedia, Travel Republic (UK), TripOnline SA, HotelsClick, Cancelon, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Port Palace Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Port Palace
- Port Palace Monte Carlo