“Terrible service in Monaco”

Novotel Monte Carlo
Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Monte-Carlo
GreenLeadersSilver level
Bath, United Kingdom
“Terrible service in Monaco”
Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

Unfortunately I had really poor service during my stay on 17-18 August 2014.

I phoned the hotel at 12.00 letting them know I would be arriving at 14.00 - but on arrival was told "there would be short 30 minute delay while they got my room ready". This eventually turned into a 2 hour wait! We were offered free drinks but it ruined the start of our visit.

When it came to finally access the room they had lost 3 pieces of our luggage and I had to go through the storage room to find what they had mislaid.

I was told that breakfast could be pre-purchased at a special rate of Euro 14.50 rather than Euro 19.00 "but this must be paid for in advance". I had the cash so paid at check in - but the next morning they could find no record of this payment. There was a major delay while they found the original member of staff who had checked me in - they remembered my payment but admitted they had "forgotten" to to make any record. Only then was I allowed to check out.

My valet parked car could not be returned "as they were busy" so I had to take my cases down to the underground car park - push them all up the "down" ramp to my car - only to discover that the the exit ticket had not been authorised - so back to reception to start all over again.

Incidentally breakfast was chaos, no glasses, no spoons, coffee machine not working properly and on the 6th floor the ice machine wasn't working.

I realise I was there on a busy weekend in August but at over £200 a night I would expect at least the basics to be covered. It looked like simply not enough staff, no management and no focus on customer service.

On the plus side the location was great and using that station lifts / escalators it is easy to get to Ste. Devote and the harbour.

Next time I'll try the Columbus where I've stayed before without any problems.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank BananaBen
NovotelMonteCarlo, Responsable relations clients at Novotel Monte Carlo, responded to this review, 2 September 2014
Thank you for taking time to write a review concerning your last stay at the Novotel Monte-Carlo. We are sincerely sorry and apologize for the delay to get your room but as you said it was a busy weekend and our staff was doing its best to satisfy client’s needs. I detailed all of your comments with the different head of departments and these points are currently being processed by them to improve the quality of our services and to ensure that similar problems do not occur in the future. In spite of these few things due to the busy week end of 17th August, I hope to have the pleasure to welcome you again to Monaco.

Guest Relations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (252)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Spent one night. Very professional staff. We had a room on 4th floor - typically small (by US standards), but functional. Car was valet parked but we had to pick it up ourselves - what a joy! No, not the actual pickup, but all the supercars parked downstairs - RR, Ferrarris, Porsches. A very French Riviera experience.
Hotel is 10 minutes from the Casino and Hotel de Paris. More car ogling there. The hotel is also 3 minutes from the train station which has elevator / stairs / escalator combo (follow signs) from street level to Port Hercules. They will save you 20 minutes of walking (up/down hill)

Room Tip: higher floors in the back have views over the Monaco
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ella_RM
NovotelMonteCarlo, Responsable relations clients at Novotel Monte Carlo, responded to this review, 23 August 2014
Many thanks for your great review concerning your last stay at the Novotel Monte-Carlo. I was glad to read you appreciated our services and that you had a good time visiting the beautiful cars in the parking. I really look forward to welcoming you again in Monaco soon.

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Just end another 3 nights at this Novotel in Monaco and this time i had several disappointments however most of them were resolved in professional manner by the relations mangaer Monika. We arrived at 5pm and rooms were not ready because the Monaco football team was in the hotel and they have late check out, so to compensate they gave an upgrade which was well accepted and this was all solved. However next day I need a taxi, ordered it at 11:30hrs and after 45 minutes it wasnt arrived, hotel said they work with one company only and the driver had problems with his driving licence, well you need plan B in such cases, maybe working with 2 companies wopuld be better. Lets say those two problems were a bit out of their control, the rest was great, room was great, internet and breakfast too, well located, I recommended this hotel.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
NovotelMonteCarlo, Guest Relations Manager at Novotel Monte Carlo, responded to this review, 25 August 2014
Dear Mr Avagliano,

I would like to thank you for your positive review and also for your patience on that day of your arrival. I fully appreciate how frustrating it can be to wait for your rooms but we are happy that this was promptly resolved. I do apologize concerning the taxi issue, unfortunately in Monaco there is only one taxi company and the private hire cars do not accept short trips in Monaco. I have shared your comments with our General Manager who will take this up with Monaco Taxi and make sure that this does not happen in the future.
We hope to see you during your next trip in Monaco.
Best regards
Monika
UK
Reviewed 15 August 2014

Stayed here at start of August as a family with 2 teenagers. Firstly, the drive down to the hotel's level 5 underground car park was like a 'spot the super car' festival on the upper levels, great fun for our family!
Check in was smooth, our room was a Superior room which was lovely with garden & pool view and balcony with a view of the Palace in the distance. Only complaint was that we had to climb over the pull out sofa bed to open the balcony door and get out. The room was perfect for a couple but tight for a family of 4. It was absolutely acceptable for 1 night.
Dinner was buffet and delicious, service and presentation was perfect. Breakfast was varied and we had option to sit inside or outdoors near the pool.
All children we saw were well behaved (in reference to previous poster). There was a lovely games area which was airy & bright, this was near a small bar area where parents could see their children at play while they sat in the grown up area.
Location was good, ask receptionist for help to outline in your map how to get to the palace with minimum of exertion. We were going to take the bus but receptionist told us to take a 5 min walk to train station. Take lifts and escalator to platform level. Ask in the information desk in the train station which platform to walk to. Walk to end of platform and take the tunnel ( which has travelators). The tunnel is like no other train station I've ever been in. It's beautifully decorated in Art Deco style. You end up near a Starbucks at the foot of the hill to the palace. Didn't find a lift up to the Palace but the stroll up the hill was breathtaking.
You can also use the train station lifts and escalators to get to the boats docking area and boardwalk. Again, there are some steps which will bring you down to a most pretty little church. The boardwalk is across the road from the church.
I think this is a 4 star hotel, it is modern, clean, well staffed with courteous friendly team. We were most pleasantly surprised with it....well done to all the staff!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Caoileann
NovotelMonteCarlo, Responsable relations clients at Novotel Monte Carlo, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Many thanks for your great detailed review. I was pleased to read you enjoyed your stay at the Novotel; indeed our staff is doing its best to satisfy your expectations. I am glad to read you think our hotel is a 4 star hotel and I really look forward to welcoming you again in Monaco.

Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Our second one to two week visit in three years to this excellent and well run Novotel hotel with most of Monaco within walking distance. Family room with sofa bed is perfect with two kids (age 12 and 14). Highly professional and nice staff. Appreciated restaurang with gluten free alternatives/awareness. We can strongly rekommenderar this hotel and will be back a third time!

Room Tip: Balcony towards outdoor pool area is nice.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Novotel Hotels

1 Thank EricYOLO
NovotelMonteCarlo, Responsable relations clients at Novotel Monte Carlo, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
Many thanks for your great review concerning your last stay at the Novotel Monte Carlo. I also thank you for your loyalty and I was pleased to welcome you to our hotel. I really look forward to having you for a third time in Monaco.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2014

I was apprehensive at first booking this 3 star hotel, but I am so glad I did book it. Cannot recommend this hotel enough. Being from London I would rate this hotel 4 star with the potential/borderline 5 star rating.

Slight hick-up at the beginning when we checked-in, we was given the wrong room and then was told our room we had booked was sold out. Thankfully Mukty on reception (not too sure of spelling) arranged for us the next day to be moved rooms.

View from room was lovely. Room its self was nice and clean. Little toiletries in bathroom such as cotton bus/cotton wool, nice added touch, as well as coffee machine.

From the cleaners, to waiters, to reception staff, they are very genuine, friendly and polite.

There is no concierge service, but that doesn’t really matter as reception are accommodating and very willing to help with any requests.

Breakfast – food was lovely (nice to sit outside in round the pool area in the morning).
Room service – food was delicious.

Location of hotel was great - it is on a large hill so if you are going out at night ladies, take some flat shoes with you so can walk back up the hill!

The pool was nice and clean, the pool staff very friendly. The hotel provides towels for the sun beds... and if you don’t want to sit directly around the pool, there are sun beds on a grass area which is nice.

Added little touches which were great:
Ice machine on each floor
Shoe shine machine outside lifts
Music dock in room

Cannot fault this hotel at all, and I will defiantly be back again.

Room Tip: You get what you pay for... the higher the room, the better the view.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Sophie H R
I really want to thank you for your great review concerning your last stay at our hotel in Monaco. I was glad to read that you enjoyed the different services available in the hotel, the attitude of the staff toward you and also the view from the room. Also thank you for rating our hotel 4 star. I hope to have the pleasure to welcome you again to Monaco.