All reviewscycling tourmodern hotelshower areathe riversliding doorrestaurant next doorgrape juicefree wifirecommend this hotelroom was cleanair conditioningprivacyuniversityreceptionaustriadocksprison
Reviewed 1 November 2012

I stayed one night at the Arte Hotel Krems when I gave a presentation at Donau University. The hotel is directly across the street from the University so is perfect if you have any business with the school.

I arrived at night and was greeted by a very friendly receptionist. She got me checked in promptly as well as gave me some additional information about Krems. The non-alcohol welcome drink of locally produced grape juice was a nice touch. Additionally the receptionist saved me some money by offering a day pass for parking. I would have paid more if I simply paid using the machine in the garage.

My room was very comfortable. It had the loft/industrial feel of a Starwood Aloft. This type of design and layout may not be for everyone. As mentioned in other reviews, the rather open bathroom may put off some people.

The mattress in my bed was maybe just a touch too firm for me but I still had a very good night sleep.

The breakfast selection was excellent with a very nice selection of bread, meat, and cheeses as well as a variety of sweeter dishes.

Perhaps the only disappointment at the Arte Hotel Krems was that the internet connection in the rooms required an ethernet cable. I brought my own but the hotel can provide. Unfortunately the internet connection did not work with my Macbook Air. I was definitely connected to the internet (had IP address and status showed connection). I believe the problem was that the hotel's system does not have Mac services. I've encountered this problem on other networks. I'm going to send a note to the hotel. The hotel does have a very good free wifi connection in the reception area and restaurant which is available 24 hours.

Overall I had an extremely pleasant one-night stay at the Arte Hotel Krems. I really appreciated the friendliness of all the staff who always greeted me with a smile and were kind and helpful. I'll certainly stay at the Arte Hotel again if I go back to Krems.

Room Tip: Save money on parking by purchasing the day pass from the hotel.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 October 2012

Yes the photos are great, but I didn't think it would be as good as it was.
Sure the shower and wash basin lacked true privacy, but it was fine for people used to showering in front of each other (couples, siblings...whatever)
Wish the toilet door had a latch, only because the sliding door also covered the closet. I can easily imagine a cabin mate straighten up and sliding the door!

Hope they add wi-fi to extend to the rooms, but that wouldn't prevent me from visiting again.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Brian D
Reviewed 24 September 2012

We stayed in the Arte Hotel Krems on our cycling tour from Passau to Vienna.
We could use our bikes to get around. Walking would not have been an option.

Because the room was for my husband and me it was fine.
If I had to share this room with for example my son or a friend I would not have been very pleased.
The level of privacy was very low. The bathroom (if you could call it a bathroom) was completely open. The washhand basin was separated from the bedroom with a narrow wall (no door) and next to the washhand basin was another narrow wall what should have given the shower some privacy. Well, it didn't. Not good at all!
Luckily the toilet was separate.

Another minus in this modern hotel: no free WIFI in the room.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 July 2012

Stayed there for 2 nights (July 6-8) with two 7yr olds. Choose this hotel as the only one that accommodated 2adts + 2chd in one room. Other hotels required us to book 2 rooms. Studio accommodation was large enough for an extra set of twin beds for our twin daughters. Room was modern and clean, bathroom with enough towels, bedding comfortable, breakfast choices larger than expected - bacon, sausages and scrambled or hard boiled eggs, salami, ham, cheese and large variety of pastries and breads, fruit salad and cereals nicely presented. More than enough for even the pickiest kid to choose from. The young ladies at the reception were very attentive and informative. Parking under the hotel cost 20Euros for our 2 night-stay. Lots of short driving opportunities around Krems through the beautiful Wachau Valley. 35kms/20mls away is Melk with its magnificent Abbey or Stift (Abbey) Gottweig is 20kms away and a must see. If you stay in a Studio, you'll see this beautiful Abbey in the distance from the 3rd floor just as you get out of the elevator. You'll see several small villages and castle ruins along the way. It is a very pretty drive. Cons: lots of flies in the caffeteria where you have breakfast and the only one restaurant in the hotel was closed w no explanation. A sign on the door said their summer vacation closure is to start on July 17. If you visit during the week-end, keep in mind that stores close at 6pm Mon-Fri, Sat at 1 or 2pm and all is closed on Sundays. No internet access in the rooms, but Wi-Fi is available in the Caffeteria area. We purchased a local SIM from Niedermeyer at Old Town Krems for 20Euro and it lasted us for the week-end with data access, eg. GPS that was very useful. I'd stay here again with my family if we revisited the area.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 October 2011

Nice and new hotel, build apparently only 4 years ago.
I was there for only one day. Meeting facilities in Hotel also very good: large, spacious room, professional equipment at hand, service at coffee break well organised,
staff friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business