“Friendly owner and staff”
Review of Seewirt Zauner

and 1 more site!
Seewirt Zauner
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Hallstatt
Reviewed 20 October 2013

Friendly and helpful hotel staff, from the owner to the waitress. Very close to major point of interest. The bed was very clean, however, the bathroom needs major renovation. I think they will embark on renovating the hotel soon. As per other reviews, the owner pays more attention to the restaurant than the hotel.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 1 October 2013

Hallstatt is a breathtakingly beautiful fairy tale village nestled by a grand lake, it truly is the most amazing setting. The Zauner is located in the main square of Hallstatt only minutes walk from the lake and other points of interest. The restaurant is great and continental breakfast plentiful. The staff were amazingly helpful and the lovely man who checked us in was so knowledgable about the area and egar to assist at all where possible. The rooms are a little older but very authentic and have everything you need for a comfortable stay. Would recommend this hotel and Hallstatt to anyone travelling through Austria

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 September 2013

Hallstadt is a small and charming city, and the old city including the Marktplatz is right on the lake. The hotel staff is very friendly and helpful. The rooms are older and could be cleaner, but it all seemed to be a part of the experience of Hallstadt.

Room Tip: Floors are creaky, so ask for a higher floor. Warning - there is no elevator
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 September 2013

Good location, it's just next to jeti and the landmark Market Square. The hotel is run by family who also run a restaurant, hence the hotel counter is also the restaurant counter. It means the owner may be busy serving restaurant customers, you have to catch him. The hotel is old European style building made of wood, it's a nice experience, but the down side: no lift, no Wi-fi, and can be noisy when people walk on the wooden floor. If your room is at high floor and you have heavy luggage, good luck to you. You must live at high floor (3rd floor) if you want good view and privacy. I lived at second floor and my view is blocked by a building. Nevertheless, I love the breakfast!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 September 2013

We should have shared our experience at Gasthof Zauner with Trip Advisor sooner, and we apologize to those who have had comparable experiences there.
Long-time European travellers from Canada, stayed at Zauner's back in 1970s without incident. But this time, we cancelled after the first night (owner offered no apology or compensation) and found another more satisfactory accommodation across the lake.
The facility is long overdue for update, in every respect, including staff. 'Rustic' is a kind description...'run-down' is more accurate. Besides many of the negative comments already mentioned in earlier reviews, we encountered a couple of other let-downs:
First, at dinner, my partner was served her meal but I was left waiting, with no explanation. It was a busy evening, and I thought my meal would be forthcoming. After a long wait, I raised it with our waitress who countered that I had not ordered anything. I asked to speak with her supervisor, but he simply defended her and said I was wrong!
When we went up to our room, we found we were in a dingy little room at the top. We were prepared to accept it cheerfully until my partner went to use the shower...the shower had not been cleaned from a previous use, and there were hairs on the shower walls. Then, to top it off, when we ran the water in the sink, it simply ran down the spout and onto the floor. Herr (Sepp) Zauner responded to our request to fix it but concluded that he could not repair it, that the hotel was full, and we would simply have to live with it until the next day. Completely unacceptable!
The poor service we received at Gasthof Zauner was not only unnecessary but also reflects an establishment that should either sell to a new owner or close completely.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Paul M
Reviewed 9 September 2013 via mobile

If you want to be blown away by an amazing holiday and you're planning a trip to Halstatt, that's already half the battle won. Halstatt is one of the most beautiful little towns I have ever had the privilege of visiting. The pics you see online are as beautiful as you'd see it when you're there in the flesh I promise!

The icing on the cake is of course this wonderful inn tucked strategically in the square of this fairy tale town. You get full access to the amenities and still get a fantastic view of the lake not far yonder.

Special mention goes to the kitchen and the magic they create there. Traditional roasts and grills are available on the menu but somehow, you know each dish was prepared with love and that made the food special. You know what I mean?

Oh, don't forget to ask for some smoke trout dip that is absolutely out of this world. They prepare it fresh from the kitchen and it's heavenly on crusty bread. The chef was nice enough to give me a bottle to take with me on my trip around Austria. My wife had to wrestle the bottle from my face as I attempted to transform into an ant eater. It's THAT GOOD!

Only tiny complaint is the thin floor boards which I suppose is commonplace to most establishments in this area. More rugs perhaps?

Thanks for the amazing stay!

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed 3 September 2013

We stayed in this motel in July this year. We were after a quaint Alpine style motel experience and we were not disappointed. It is conveniently located at the top of the main square just a short walk from the ferry terminal. Check in was ok after we found that reception was in the restaurant. The man at reception was very helpful and also assisted with carrying our luggage up the 3 flights of steps (no lift) The room was lovely, with a comfortable bed, although the bathroom was a bit small and tired. The view over the lake and churches was lovely.
The TV in the room was so small and antiquated we didn't even bother turning it on, but as there was so much to do and see in Hallstatt this wasn't a problem for us, although this may not have been the case if the weather had not been perfect. The included breakfast was a little ordinary but the waitress was very friendly. We ate dinner twice at the restaurant and the grilled lake fish was to die for. All in all it was exactly what we expected and if you are after a bit of a different motel thats good value for money then this could be the place for you. If you are after absolute luxury then maybe try one of the more expensive motels in the town.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Wanderlust905
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hallstatt
0 mi away
#2 of 4 in Obertraun
Hallstatt Hideaway
Hallstatt Hideaway
#2 of 16 in Hallstatt

Been to Seewirt Zauner? Share your experiences!