“Home of Hospitality”

Ranked #3 of 16 Hallstatt B&B and Inns
San Antonio, Texas
“Home of Hospitality”
Reviewed 25 November 2013

My boyfriend and I spent three weeks traveling through Europe and this by far was our favorite place we stayed. Klaus and Isabelle were beyond hospitable. They went out of their way to make sure our stay was enjoyable. We will definitely be staying there again when we go back. The room was immaculate and spacious, but the best part was the breathtaking views. We spent two and a half days in Hallstatt, unfortunately it was raining for a day and a half. However, it was so peaceful at the pension and the view of the lake, even with the rain, was relaxing and comforting. I know it sounds over the top and corny, but I honestly cannot imagine that there is a more tranquil place to stay in Austria.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Keeley F

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 20 October 2013 via mobile

The hospitality of the owner couple who also manage the property is unparalleled. It starts right from the moment you book from any website (booking.com) and they get the notice by establishing contact for providing directions. He supported us by providing his parking spot
The couple is highly regarded by the town folk. We had a room on top floor with an amazing surreal view of the lake. The hotel is at the lake giving a great view even from the breakfast room of the ducks and swans

You can confidently choose to stay here when you come to Hallstatt

Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Besanc0n
Portstewart
Reviewed 27 September 2013

Stayed here with my husband for just over a week in middle of Sept 2013. In all my 33 years of travelling Hallstatt and Haus Sarstein has to be one of the most beautiful and tranquil places to stay. We had room 5 , top floor, with a small balcony, a lovely spacious airy room overlooking the lake. The house was nice and cosy with a fantastic lounge and computer room where you picked up Wifi. The atmosphere was so relaxed it was almost like home from home.

What made Haus Sarstein stand out from everywhere else was KLAUS and ISOBELLE the owners. Klaus and his exceptional local knowledge was invaluable. The weather whilst in Hallstatt was wet at the start of our holiday and as we wanted to trek, Klaus kept in constant contact with the tourist board who informed him of path closures and land slides. He guided us and suggested other routes to follow, giving us detailed maps and highlighting the routes. He was our own personal guide in a way. Whilst in the fantastic setting of the breakfast room watching the ducks and swans swim by Klaus spent time with all his guests and was genuinely interested in what their plans for the day were and giving advice if needed.

The breakfast consisted of cereals, yoghurt, bread and jams and a boiled egg cooked to your liking. There was also a fridge and freezer for guests use if you wanted to buy anything . I bought cheese and ham and made sandwiches to take with us on our treks.

YOU HAVE TO STAY HERE......it is FANTASTIC and we hope to return again.

Thankyou Klaus and Isobelle.

Room Tip: I think all rooms have lake view but just request one anyway
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank DavidG34
Bethesda, Maryland
Reviewed 11 August 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights during our two week trip to Europe, if given the choice again, we would have stayed here all 2 weeks. Klaus and Isabelle, the owners, were amazing hosts. Every room at Pension Sarstein has a private balcony facing the lake with an incredible view. The rooms themselves were large, clean, quiet and the perfect home base to explore the wonders of Hallstatt and upper Austria.

We loved the huge lawn on the bank of the lake, and spent our afternoons lounging in their chairs, taking in the lake admiring the ducks and swans gently swimming by.

Every morning we were greeted to an incredible sunrise, a lovely/fresh Austrian breakfast, and the always smiling Klaus in his lederhosen and yodeling background music. Klaus gave us great suggestions of where to eat, off-the-beaten-path destinations like Loser mountain, and was extremely welcoming.

Room Tip: All rooms have a balcony facing the lake. We paid for the cheapest room with a double bed and a pri...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Aaron P
halifax
Reviewed 5 July 2013

Wonderful hosts, very helpful with hikes, things to do. Bicycles available to use: we rode around Hallstatt to Obertraun for a day trip, wonderful bike trails.
Beautiful pension, large room with balcony, oh what a view! Very clean, shared bathroom.
Delicious breakfast.
Hallstatt is a great town. Lots of outdoor activities, the area is just spectacular.
The train stops across the lake and a ferry takes you across, the ride is beautiful.
A great experience. My husband and I will return here someday (stayed sept 2012).

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank liana71
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 9 June 2013

Klaus and Isabelle were our hosts in one of the funnest places we stayed on our 10th anniversary trip. Klaus is an absolute gem. He made us hard-boiled eggs each morning and gave us terrific advice on when to take the five fingers mountain tour including the ice cave. Klaus and Isabelle were wonderful hosts who we had fun talking with.

Please keep in mind this is a bed and breakfast, not the Ritz Carlton. The towels are air dried so Snuggles the fabric softener bear will not be making them soft for you. Hand soap for the sink and/or the shower was not provided but we are certain it would have been had we asked for it. Everything else was so lovely that we decided to just buy a bar of soap and enjoy the stay.

The location is great. Hallstatt is not a huge city or anything so we walked to the parking lot every day of our stay and it was about a 10-15 minute walk. There is a shuttle that runs there throughout each day so if you're not able to or interested in walking to your car, Klaus will call the shuttle for you and you'll be all set.

Walking in Hallstatt does require that you be aware of when cars are coming because it's a one-lane road going right through the middle of town and cars and pedestrians must share it. That said, the vast majority of cars going through town are dropping off or picking up tourists. The highway is above the main road so none of that traffic goes through the middle of the town.

The views out each window and balcony at Pension Sarstein are simply stunning. Hallstatt was a favorite stop for us on our two-week trip and we genuinely enjoyed staying there.

If your'e like me and internet connectivity is important to you, there are some challenges to overcome here. There is high speed internet but it's only available in the office and sitting room on the first floor. The Wi-Fi in these two rooms does not extend beyond that area at all. If you need internet connectivity in your room, I would recommend using a tablet or smartphone and tethering your other devices to that from your room. If there is good weather, you'll probably have little need for internet connectivity in your room because you'll always be walking around this lovely town or taking in the views from a window rather than browsing the web.

Overall, this was a must-see location in Austria for us and it delivered despite the terrible weather we had. Pension Sarstein is a great place to feel like you're living in Hallstatt!

Room Tip: The top room has its own bathroom and was well worth the price in our opinion.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Kurtsterr
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reviewed 3 June 2013

I was a little bit leery of booking here given a couple of stories I read about problems booking, but overall it was the best decision I made all trip. The couple (Isabelle and Klaus) that run the place absolutely made our trip amazing. They helped us with maps and suggestions of trails to hike-- and knew which ones were closed and which ones were the scenic ones we couldn't miss. For me this was huge as I had spent hours online trying to find this information without luck-- but after sitting down with them for 10 minutes I knew half a dozen trails to take and where to go. They were the most helpful people I can remember dealing with in a very long time. I'd highly recommend this place to almost anyone. So, let me get to it:

THE GOOD:
--Klaus and Isabelle: Very knowledgeable, ridiculously nice and helpful with everything from maps to bus times.
--The room: Ours was spacious and gave us room to unpack without tripping over everything
--The view: From our small balcony we were practically leaning over the lake. Easily the best view I'd had while sipping on my morning coffee
--Klaus and Isabelle: Did I already mention them? Well, I need to mention them again. They were great. They let us borrow two bikes to ride around the lake and on some back trails around Obertraun. One of my favorite afternoons by far.

THE MEDIOCRE:
--The location if you don't like walking. It's a bit on the edge of town and a ways from the ferry stop. But if you're okay with a bit extra walking, this isn't a problem at all
--The balcony was a bit small, but it sat two people and a bottle of wine, so, again, this isn't really a big issue
--The towels- they were a bit hard and rough, so just a heads up if you're sensitive to things like this
--Lots of stairs... but this is going to be the same at anywhere else in town. I am only mentioning as it might be a concern for those with mobility issues.
--Deposit: I had to arrange for a bank transfer into their account. It was a bit of a hassle as I've never had to do this before, but it worked out okay in the end. If they could find a way to use PayPal or something similar, that'd really make the process much, much easier.

THE BAD
--Nothing. Really. Nothing. The couple running the place were nice, as we managed to take the wrong train and arrive after normal check-in times, but they were there to greet us at the door with a smile. The helped up organize hikes in the morning, dinner in the evening and everything in between. I guess that's really what separates this from many of the other places I have stayed is how nice and helpful they were. Without a doubt they were a big reason on why our 4 days in Hallstatt were so amazing.

Overall, I'd stay here again in a heartbeat. If you have room for a few days in your schedule and can book a room and manage to figure out how to transfer money for the small deposit, I can pretty much guarantee this will be the best and most relaxing leg of your trip.

Room Tip: Make sure your room comes with a balcony overlooking the lake, you won't regret it.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Schruminator
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hallstatt
Heritage Hotel Hallstatt
#1 of 4 in Obertraun
Hallstatt Hideaway
Hallstatt Hideaway
#2 of 16 in Hallstatt

Been to Pension Sarstein? Share your experiences!