“Beautiful garden / terrace area with unfortunately horrible service”
Review of Klosterhof

Klosterhof
Ranked #67 of 470 Restaurants in Linz
Cuisines: Austrian, Brew Pub
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine, Groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Buffet, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Altstadtviertel
Reviewed 17 July 2013

The Klosterhof is a restaurant located in the middle of the Landstrasse, the main shopping area of Linz. The restaurant has in its backyard a beautiful terrace with many old trees. So it’s a cool place in the summer heat. I have fond childhood memories about the Klosterhof. My family and I would go there regularly, therefore I figured it’s time to pass by again after so many years.
The garden / terrace area is even nicer now. The service however is sub-standard.
I wanted to have a quick and light lunch. I started my order with a mineral water and lemon. I got served just the mineral water. The waiter, did not even stop or want to listen to my comment.
Then this is what I witnessed on the neighboring table: Two elderly women had ordered dessert, and they wanted an Austrian delicacy called Milchrahmstrudel (you could say it’s a strudel with vanilla custard) and they received Palatschinken (the Austrian version of crepes, filled with apricot jam). So they tell him that this is the wrong order, the response was … no, that’s the same what you ordered and walked off. So the two ladies called another waiter, explained the situation, and he then brought his colleague back to the table. Then they continued talking, and the ladies showed him from the menu what they ordered. Only then he admitted he made a mistake. But there was no sign of remorse or an apology of the waiter. He did not even offer to reorder the preferred dessert.

I had to wait another fifteen minutes until he came back to my table. Honestly, I did not want to be there anymore, I paid my drink and went elsewhere for lunch.
To be honest, I am so proud of my hometown, but seeing what these waiters are doing at the Klosterhof is an embarrassment to me. I for sure, keep my fond childhood memories, but I won’t go back there again.

Reviewed 9 July 2013

Spent nearly an hour searching for a good Austrian restaurant before stumbling across this beer garden off the Main Street. Just what I was looking for great food atmosphere and beer.

Reviewed 23 June 2013 via mobile

Firstly if you find yourself in Linz on a Sunday you will have very little choice as most restaurants close.
Klosterhof is as bad a restaurant as you'll find anywhere. It's not inexpensive either. To put it simply, the food is dreadful. KEEP AWAY. If you're stuck grab a McDonalds from across the road. I'm so sorry we didn't.

Reviewed 27 January 2013

Walking around Landstrasse on Saturday afternoon, just a little shopping and relaxing on the main city center of Linz.
Spotted a place that looks quite busy from outside, decided to have sort of a brunch break.
We were seated next to a small window over looking the street, just opposite the Ursulinen Kirche(church).
Quite a good spot actually, we wanted an entree without salt and it was delivered as ordered.
Even though it was on a smoking floor but we could hardly have any tobacco smell because of the high ceiling.
Food was suppose to be serve upstairs but we chose not to go up because there was no elevator.
The server was kind enough to bring our brunch to us on the ground floor.
Sure will step back in again.
Good menu with reasonable price and convenient location.

1  Thank Julie M
Reviewed 15 January 2013

Stieglbräu zum Klosterhof is in a listed building situated along the main road in the center of Linz. The restaurant consists of 2 large rooms with ample seating place for larger groups on the first flloor. The service was swift and friendly. The draught beer is excellent. Try the Stiegl Weisse. It's excellent.
I had the Klosterhof Schmaus, a huge portion of meat, sausage, smoked ham, black pudding and chops with "sauerkraut und knödel". Delicious. And very affordable. I liked it very much.