“An enjoyable stay”
Review of Schlossberg Hotel

Schlossberg Hotel
Ranked #1 of 75 Hotels in Graz
Reviewed 19 March 2014

Friendly, spotlessly clean, convenient location, great decor in a character-some old period building.

Breakfast selection and quality was absolutely perfect. The fitness room was really good with a sauna and an infra red heat back treatment cabin that I used and it worked on my aching muscles. There's a small gym and a rooftop pool in the summer. The bar is homely.

My room was small and the furniture was even smaller - as if it was designed for children. The bedside table was only large enough for the telephone and I could hardly perch on the chair to do some work on my laptop at the tiny desk. The room had a separate entrance hall, a huge closet and a huge bathroom but the "rain shower" in the bath was fitted so close to the wall I couldn't get under it properly. Some things were a little frustrating, but this is an old building and they do pretty well to run a top quality hotel with the constraints of such an old building.

None of the furniture seems to match - it's as if it has been furnished by picking stuff up from antique shops over a period of time and this adds to the old feel to the place. It also made it feel like home! Bits of it reminded me of a the interior of a royal residence I once visited - not opulent at all but very classic.

I couldn't sleep both nights I stayed. The bed was OK but I think the pillows were too soft for me. I should have asked for a different one - next time I'm in Graz I will !

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank John F
SchlossberghotelGraz, Manager at Schlossberg Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2014

Dear Mr. John F,

thank you very much for taking the time to give us a feedback about your stay with us. I am delighted that you enjoyed your time in Graz and in the Schlossberghotel – Das Kunsthotel and that you could also use some of our hotels amenities to make your stay even more comfortable.

Thank you for your input concerning your room and thank you for your understanding of the charm and also the challenges of a 500 year-old building with such a long tradition. All of our rooms are absolutely unique and each one is completely different than any other one. This gives us the wonderful possibility to find the perfect room for everyone. Therefore I already put down that we will try a different room for you when you, hopefully, visit the next time. Thank you for letting us know about the shower, our facility management is already working on a solution for this issue. Furthermore we have already noted that for your next stay we will provide a different and an additional pillow to make sure that not only have wonderful days in Graz, but also wonderful nights.

We hope to see you soon again and wish you lovely spring days,

Your Schlossberghotel - Team

Reviewed 14 March 2014

Excellent under all respects: calm, comfortable... It is a pleasure for the eyes to have all those paintings, flowers and nice furniture around. My only remark is that the bar area of the hotel allows smoking.

Room Tip: Rooms on the back are quieter
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 March 2014

Although only a 2 night stay, this is a fantastic little hotel. Rooms are a good size, even if the beds are a little small for me. The staff are just "uber" friendly and happy to assist in any way they can. Rates are reasonable and whilst breakfast is "extra", it is also quite reasonable, but the variety and quality is excellent. Location is good and an easy walk to shops and restaurants. I like staying here and will be happy to come back again.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank PLCSydney
Reviewed 25 January 2014

The hotel staff were very pleasant and the rooms very cosy. The breakfast is great but it is charged extra.
I deduct one star because of the price which is too steep despite the fact that the hotel is good.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Anja C
Reviewed 9 January 2014

Possibly the best hotel in town, An excellent location, nestled under the Schlossberg hill by the river and adjacent to the old town. Most sights are within easy walking distance. Excellent front desk staff. The rooms are clean and of a very good size, and the beds are very comfortable. Rooms are individually styled in an eclectic mix of contemporary, original artworks and both modern and antique furniture and fittings. Didn't have breakfast at the hotel so can't comment on that, but there is a very nice bar area, and also a good gym, sauna, radiation/relaxation area in the basement.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank 271garp
Reviewed 3 January 2014

Very nice hotel,good location excellent staff,nice rooms,the pets are welcome.I hope I will come back.The staff was considerated,because we have been on new years eveand we can stay longer in room then is usualy.Nice!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jasnamladen
SchlossberghotelGraz, Manager at Schlossberg Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 January 2014

Dear Jasmanladen,

thank you very much for your kind words and the great photos on Tripadvisor.

We fondly think back to the visit of your family including your lovely dog. We are always very happy when we can welcome pets in our hotel, as they always bring such a special atmosphere to our hotel. As you can see on our Facebook page also cats enjoy their time at the Schlossberghotel – Das Kunsthotel!

We wish you and your family a great start into the New Year and hope to welcome you again some time.

Best regards,
The Schlossberghotel-Team

Reviewed 26 December 2013

It is the staff that sets this hotel apart. Always helpful, polite and really can't do enough to help. Breakfast is superb and rooms are quirky, interesting and different. Have stayed many times and will continue to do so whenever I am in Graz.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business

Dear Mr. Ross M,

thank you very much for your lovely words concerning your stay with us.

Your satisfaction and your well-being are our highest goals and it is very important for us to make sure you create new unforgettable memories every time you choose our hotel.

We feel the same way as you do as we strongly believe that it is the people who make all the difference. We live and love this fact and it makes us proud that our guests appreciate this. Thank you very much for noticing our passion and our enthusiasm.

Best wishes from Graz and we hope to welcome you soon again,

Your Schlossberghotel-Team