“Tricky parking garage, not as arty as I thought it would be”
Review of Schlossberg Hotel

Schlossberg Hotel
Ranked #1 of 75 Hotels in Graz
Reviewed 26 May 2014

Location: Close to the city center, near the Mur river
Check in and welcome: Very professional, friendly and fast; the staff offered valet parking into the parking garage, because this is a really tricky one
Room: Nice, but small; facing the courtyard; not as arty as I thought it would be, very tiny and low cabinet, pillows could be of better quality
Bathroom: Small, but fine
Breakfast: More than OK, good choice, friendly staff, sometimes a bit slow with refilling the buffet
Check out: Because the garage did not work (defect) and the staff was not able to pick up our cars, they offered us taxis; we waited and after approx. half an hour the garage worked again and they brought us our cars

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 23 May 2014

A superb hotel in a great location in this beautiful city. A little on the expensive side but excellent service from all staff who sorted out some minor issues with the bedding very effectively. Definitely a hotel worth revisiting.

• Stayed: May 2014
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Abandon the large hotels and return to feeling cared for, look for hotels with charm than hotels providing points for your stay. That's my new approach and I am very happy with my decision. The Scholssberg is a great discovery, full of charm, and great service. With easy walking distance to the town or the 260 steps up to the mountain top it's a great location.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 March 2014

I have been staying in the Schlossberg Hotel for many years now; typically 3-4 times per year for 3-5 days at a time. Not only does this hotel offer a very unique interior experience of art and room furnishings that let you know you are in Graz (versus so many generic hotel interiors), I would also rank the service as the best I have experienced on an international level.
For those who welcome a good breakfast at the start of the day you will enjoy this one !!!
All-in-all a 5 star rating in my book !!!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank ManfredTBG
SchlossberghotelGraz, Manager at Schlossberg Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2014

Dear ManfredTB,

thank you very much for your fantastic review of our hotel and your personal 5 star rating. We feel deeply honored that you put our service on an international level at the top and I more than gladly gave your feedback to all our employees! We always enjoy having you as a guest as well und wir freuen uns, Sie hoffentlich bald wieder zu Ihrem nunmehr 35. Aufenthalt bei uns zu begrüßen!

Ihr Schlossberghotel - Team

Reviewed 19 March 2014

Friendly, spotlessly clean, convenient location, great decor in a character-some old period building.

Breakfast selection and quality was absolutely perfect. The fitness room was really good with a sauna and an infra red heat back treatment cabin that I used and it worked on my aching muscles. There's a small gym and a rooftop pool in the summer. The bar is homely.

My room was small and the furniture was even smaller - as if it was designed for children. The bedside table was only large enough for the telephone and I could hardly perch on the chair to do some work on my laptop at the tiny desk. The room had a separate entrance hall, a huge closet and a huge bathroom but the "rain shower" in the bath was fitted so close to the wall I couldn't get under it properly. Some things were a little frustrating, but this is an old building and they do pretty well to run a top quality hotel with the constraints of such an old building.

None of the furniture seems to match - it's as if it has been furnished by picking stuff up from antique shops over a period of time and this adds to the old feel to the place. It also made it feel like home! Bits of it reminded me of a the interior of a royal residence I once visited - not opulent at all but very classic.

I couldn't sleep both nights I stayed. The bed was OK but I think the pillows were too soft for me. I should have asked for a different one - next time I'm in Graz I will !

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank John F
SchlossberghotelGraz, Manager at Schlossberg Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2014

Dear Mr. John F,

thank you very much for taking the time to give us a feedback about your stay with us. I am delighted that you enjoyed your time in Graz and in the Schlossberghotel – Das Kunsthotel and that you could also use some of our hotels amenities to make your stay even more comfortable.

Thank you for your input concerning your room and thank you for your understanding of the charm and also the challenges of a 500 year-old building with such a long tradition. All of our rooms are absolutely unique and each one is completely different than any other one. This gives us the wonderful possibility to find the perfect room for everyone. Therefore I already put down that we will try a different room for you when you, hopefully, visit the next time. Thank you for letting us know about the shower, our facility management is already working on a solution for this issue. Furthermore we have already noted that for your next stay we will provide a different and an additional pillow to make sure that not only have wonderful days in Graz, but also wonderful nights.

We hope to see you soon again and wish you lovely spring days,

Your Schlossberghotel - Team

Reviewed 14 March 2014

Excellent under all respects: calm, comfortable... It is a pleasure for the eyes to have all those paintings, flowers and nice furniture around. My only remark is that the bar area of the hotel allows smoking.

Room Tip: Rooms on the back are quieter
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 March 2014

Although only a 2 night stay, this is a fantastic little hotel. Rooms are a good size, even if the beds are a little small for me. The staff are just "uber" friendly and happy to assist in any way they can. Rates are reasonable and whilst breakfast is "extra", it is also quite reasonable, but the variety and quality is excellent. Location is good and an easy walk to shops and restaurants. I like staying here and will be happy to come back again.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business