“Very good 4* hotel”

Palais-Hotel Erzherzog Johann
Ranked #6 of 75 Hotels in Graz
Reviewed 7 January 2014

Great central location (the best location to Graz), very nice hotel, very nice rooms, Just good breakfast, the smoking allowed to hotel bar (for me very good). The only disadvantage is english communication to the restaurant but next time i will be more careful. Instead of this VERY GOOD.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 12 November 2013

This was our first time to stay in Erzherzog Johann Hotel and we will come back for sure. Rooms are huge and very clean which is excellent if you have small kids. Staff is helpfull and polite. Breakfast is realy great with pleanty of everything. The location is wonderfull - it is in the centre of Graz and everithing you want to see is near.
Thank you for all !

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Ljiljana M
Reviewed 2 November 2013

I stayed in Erzherzog Johann Hotel couple of times and I must say I am very happy with both ambient and staff. Rooms are wonderfull; I try to stay in another one every time. Breakfast is great; this time there was even more to choose and everything was nicely decorated.
Hotel is in the centre of Graz, so everything you want to see is near and you can enjoy in walking to most of your destinations.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Natalija F
Reviewed 22 October 2013 via mobile

I am afraid I shall seek for the future a different Hotel in Graz.
The charm of the Hotel were the not too renovated, huge rooms with the antique furniture. The prices were a bit high, but altogether acceptable. And the restaurant was ideal for a light dinner after a full work day. This time the breakfast service was appalling, with the staff letting me wait 25 Minutes for a boiled egg!!! When I dared to complain, the waitress said that it is unfortunately always the case with eggs .. the she brought me the egg without pepper and salt and left me alone...
Of course you can laugh on such things, but it became less funny when for two subsequent nights I was denied a regular dinner, the first time because on Monday the restaurant closes at 20.00 and when at 19.18 I asked for the menu card the waiter, visibly annoyed, said that the kitchen was about to close and that only the bistro menu (which is not much better than the food you get on a train) was available. He invited me to come the following day and another waiter - in spite of plenty of tables being empty in the bistro side of the restaurant, refused to serve me the regular menu (distance between the different sectors about 1.5 meters!!!!) because I had not booked a table. If there is something that I cannot stand, it is the stubborn and the lack of flexibility. There are plenty of good hotels in Graz, where the restaurant staff is eager to work and welcomes regular guests. No need to go to this one any more, at least for me ..

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Dermatologist55
Reviewed 19 October 2013

We chose this hotel almost entirely on the basis of its location - right in the centre of the old town - but all other factors were enjoyable. It is a classic old central-European building with high ceilings and large rooms down labyrthine corridors but it has been splendidly modernised and now has all the characteristics of a comfortable 4-start hotel. In spite of the city-centre location the rooms were very quiet and the beds were extremely comfortable. Breakfast was copious, with great choice and well-presented. Choice of TV channels wasn't the greatest but with old-town Graz right outside the door, who needs TV. As an additional incentive, the Royal Garden Jazz Club is about 10 minutes walk away. Great Jazz every Friday night.

Room Tip: Each room seemed to have a unique decor ccording to its use in the original palace.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Marlies D, Manager at Palais-Hotel Erzherzog Johann, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2013

Dear Dr Tim,

thank you so much for your feedback.

We are very pleased to hear how much you enjoyed your stay at our hotel and are looking forward to welcoming you back soon!

With kind regards

Marlies Deligny
Hotel Manager

Reviewed 18 October 2013

The hotel is very centrally located. It is a charming old hotel with creaking floorboards and nice decorations. I had a single room and that meant a single bed.. not often we see that nowadays.
however the bed was very comfortable and I slept well. The Shower was a disappointment - I could not get hot water out of the shower head - only from the bath tap - so ended up taking a "shower bath"
I ate in the restaurant in the evening. The Steak tartare was too sweet tasting for me - but nicely done. I had some schnitzel which was really nice.

Breakfast was a bit more than basic - not quite what I would expect from a 4* - but all you need really.. some hot dishes, some cereals, few different juices etc - great breads though.

The charm of the hotel is really in the old fashioned style and it is worth going around the building to take it all in. Some lovely touches here and there - the "courtyard" which is the restaurant/brasserie with the piano was really nice in the evening.

There is a bar across from the reception where you can smoke cigars.

Staff was very nice and helpful with all my questions.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 October 2013

Excellent location, classic design, good size of room and bathroom, good value. Important to say: with A/C - we have found that many hotels in Graz do not have air condition.
We had all we needed for pleasant stay. We will come again.

Room Tip: If coming by car be sure to find out on time exact entrance of hotel's parking.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple