“There are beter places to stay”
Review of Hotel Daniel Graz

Hotel Daniel Graz
Ranked #11 of 75 Hotels in Graz
Reviewed 26 February 2013

I stayed only 12 hours there but nothing was like it seams. They have a caffe bar 0-24 and after midnight they turn lights off, there is no music nothing. Wifi is very bad, speed is like old 54k modem all time. Bed is very uncomfortable, sheets are iritating. In the mornig maid knocked one time and imideatly enterd to our room like Kremer from"friends" :). I payed 59€ for smart room, and there was that breakfast is 11€ per person. I don't want to pay such money for breakfast and I told them that I don't want to eat. Two ladies didn't want to speak with me in english and they only asked me my room nuber. I was confused and I told them my number and they matched in paper and told me go to eat. Finaly I eated my breakfest. When i was checking off lady in recepcion with perfect english told me that I can not choose room without breakfast. Finaly I payed 81€ for night for two person. For that price can find beter service in Graz.

Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Weitzer-Hotels, Manager at Hotel Daniel Graz, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2013

Dear Nikola,
thank you for reporting on Tripadvisor. We are very sorry to hear that trouble during your stay forced you to write your feedback online her.
It really seams there was nothing you enjoyed in our hotel during your stay, we feel deeply sorry about that.
We would like to apologize that our maid desturbed you in the morning and for entering immediately in the room.
Regarding the bed we are surprised as normally our guests sleep very well.

Be assured nobody has to have breakfast without wanting it. There must be a big misunderstanding. Our guests decide if the want to have buffet breakfast at the rate of EUR 11,00 p.p. or not. They even can decide in the morning. Our breakfast rate is one of the cheapest you can find in a hotel in the whole town.
Our breakfast staff is only asking the quests after entering the breakfast room for the room number and ask them to have a seat.
The lights in the lobby are only turned down after midnight but never turned off.
Please note that the well-being of our guests has always first priority!
We would be very pleased welcoming you once again, we remain with kind regards from Graz, the Daniel-Team

Reviewed 10 January 2013

Positive things - very delicious and varied breakfast; very nice lobby; Vespa for rent for just 15 Euro per day.
Negative thing - rooms are quite old, not cosy and require some cosmetic repair; location is too far from the city centre (remark - too far for us since we do not like to use public transport and prefer walking, but 15 minutes' walk back to the hotel at the evening seems to us too long distance).
Ok for one night but I would prefer another hotel within my next trip to Graz.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Weitzer-Hotels, Manager at Hotel Daniel Graz, responded to this reviewResponded 4 March 2013

Dear Izamaria,
Thank you very much for your feedback.
We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed our breakfast and the design of our lobby!
Our rooms are getting renovated on a step-by-step basis throughout the year. We are very sorry that the design of the room wasn’t “cozy” enough for you.
Looking forward to seeing you again on your next trip to Graz! We are sure that we will be able to surprise you the next time.
The Daniel-Team

Reviewed 31 December 2012

Hotel Daniel, Graz is well located for access to tram to old and new city, supermarkets, McDonalds (if that is your thing), and bus/train transport centre for Austria. Funky, modern design, with great breakfast for €12 and Vespas for hire. Downside was room was too hot, even without heater on, and mattress very hard, pillow too soft and doona/duvet too hot too. Would give it 3 1/2 stars if rating allowed.

Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 October 2012

After staying at the Hotel Daniel in Vienna, I had high hopes for the one in Graz. Unfortunately, this hotel does not even fit the description of it's own website. First, it is in a crummy location where you need to walk about a mile (or take the tram) to find nice food. There is a derilect Spar grocery in the adjacent train station for which you have to walk through a construction site at the moment. You can't rely on the hotel because there is no kitchen, although they do serve a fairly good buffet style breakfast.
When we arrived, we had to enter though the basement entrance because of the construction and this was far from a warm welcome as we had to wait in a smelly corridor for the tiny elevators to take us to the reception. We learned that the Internet wasn't working and when I asked the staff person at the reception, she said it would be fixed the following day (it was a Sunday), but didn't care to offer a time of day. It wasn't fixed until late afternoon that next day, which is extemely inconvenient for a business person. When I asked if there was a cafe with wi-fi near the hotel, she asked the other staff person on duty, who merely shook her head and shrugged. After dropping my bag, I wants hunting for wi-fi, and sure enough, there was a cafe with wi-fi right across the street.
They advertise a 24 hr bar, but they turn the lights off around 1am, discouraging anyone from even entering the lobby. Both the sink and the showerhead had leaks in my room.
It was quiet at night and the bed was comfortable. The "smart room" was a good size for one person. I would discourage couples from renting any of the rooms since the bathroom is designed with a sliding door, so if someone is in the shower, the toilet door is open and vice-versa.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 October 2012

It's really a good hotel for a small price. The rooms are not that big but it's okay.

It's near the city centre and near the station! Good location and not noisy! We we're afraid that it was noisy but absolutly not!

A good bar + good breakfast!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 October 2012

I have been here twice, once with my partner, once alone on a business trip.

Don't bother the staff. They are not helpful at all. They don't want anything to do with you. They only want you to pay the bill (which may not be very small).

The lifts are very very small, not good if you have a lot of luggage, otherwise it is ok. And you need to rent the parking spot in advance, otherwise your other chance is a parking lot a few minutes away.

Do not share a room with a friend, and also for couples is not really optimal - the shower has a glass wall, which could be kinky for couples, but there is only 1 sliding door, so either the shower door is closed or the toilet is: not optimal if someone needs to answer a nature's call while the other is in the shower. If you sleep alone, it is a good choice.

I think the hotel Daniel tries to be alternative somehow, even though I really missed what they want to communicate. Apart from this, I found the rooms confortable, clean and big enough. I had a good shower gel in the shower, had the luck of not facing the main road hence slept well enough (also I was there on the weekend, so no noises from the works at the station), I like the fact that the shower is so big, and the breakfast buffet is very good and plentiful.

In short: I may go back there when I travel to Graz, but I will be prepared to not receive the best treatment.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank nini_it
Reviewed 13 October 2012

Enjoyed our stay. Quirky aspects to this hotel made it interesting. Small rooms but modern aspects especially the desk and shower/toilet door concept worked well. Lighting on building at night looked great.
Convenient location to train station and tram stop. Vending machines a good idea.
Liked the door messages for cleaning staff etc..!!
Breakfast good and room was clean. Having a balcony added to the stay. Construction work nearby was an initial nuisance.
Would stay again.