“Not entirely non-smoking”
Review of Hotel Strasser

Hotel Strasser
Ranked #25 of 75 Hotels in Graz
Wherever I happen to be...
“Not entirely non-smoking”
Reviewed 28 October 2011

I booked this hotel on the basis of it being near the train station, inexpensive and non-smoking.

The location was perfect. I arrived by train and walked to the hotel with my backpack in about 5 minutes. There are plenty of shops and restaurants nearby. It's a 15-minute walk to the center of town, but you can also take a tram.

The receptionists were friendly, helpful and available 24 hours. The bed was very comfortable, and I had my own table and chair for eating take-away meals from restaurants that were full of smoke. The room was clean, except for under the bed. I dropped something that rolled under the bed and, when I aimed my torch under there, it was so full of dust that I decided to leave it.

The rooms are 100% non-smoking, but there was a horrible stench of smoke filling the lobby and coming up the stairs. This was due to the bar on the ground floor, which has a door that could be closed, but it never was.

The bathroom was shiny and clean. The rubbish bin was missing the plastic cover on the part you step on to make the lid open, so I was not comfortable stepping on it with bare feet or socks. The shower *looked* amazing. I was really looking forward to trying the massage jets, but then when I tried them, I got squirted in the eye with cold water, even though the water coming from the main tap was hot. I probably didn't do it right, but it was very unpleasant.

The breakfast was pretty good. There was a huge variety, but the items didn't get restocked often enough. Twice I went to get more salami and got the last piece. The first day, they had run out of boiled eggs by the time I got there. Fortunately, the breakfast room is completely non-smoking. It's in the basement and you have to take the lift to get there.

I would recommend this place to people with some tolerance for cigarette smoke. If you have zero tolerance, it might be a good idea to look elsewhere.

Room Tip: The rooms facing the street are pretty noisy, even after midnight. I wore earplugs, so it wasn't...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank Hobbit1973

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 September 2011

We stayed at Hotel Daniel around the corner for our first night in Graz, but they did not have any vacancies on the second night, so we went to Hotel Strasser. It was more expensive and the quality was nowhere near as good. Only advantage was that breakfast was included in the price. The room we stayed in was a bit shabby and run-down, although the en-suite was clean. Room was hot, with no a/c, and on very busy road, so was noisy with the window open. Staff were somewhat grumpy, and you had to pay extra to use their wi-fi, which I think is very cheeky! Only place I've stayed in my Europe travels where that is the case.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Dr_741035

Travellers are raving about these Graz hotels

Bromsgrove, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 October 2010

Stayed here for England's warm up game vs Japan - good clean hotel, out of the city but makes up for it value wise and is right opposite the train station so good for rail travellers.

Best about this hotel is a great bar/restaurant up on the same side towards the rail station (not on the corner, next one along) - did some great meals and kept the bar open all night for us, all at reasonable prices!

• Stayed June 2010
Skopje
Reviewed 15 September 2010

I,ve just returned from Hotel Strasser and I must say that we had a wonderful time there.The check-in was very quick and the receptionist was very polite.I was on a business trip and I stayed there for three nights which was a great choice because the hotel is really clean and has a great location(walking distance from the center app.15 min.)The breakfast is also included in the price(very nice one).The rooms are a bit small but very clean.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
Varna
Reviewed 25 April 2010

Easy-to-find location, friendly staff, good breakfast

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 January 2010

My standards are not very high when it comes to hotels, as I only value convenience, cleanliness and location. Strasser had 2 of the 3 at a very nice price. It's only a 5-minute walk from a market-filled street (Annenstrasse) from the center of Graz (Hauptplatz) so location was not a concern, despite the feeling it gave me. We had no problem finding a parking spot in front of the hotel and were very warmly welcomed by the receptionist. The room we stayed in was not very luxurious neither spacious however it was very clean and warm and I was happy to enjoy the nice breakfast the morning after. I would recommend Strasser hotel to young travellers and passers-by that want to keep the budget at bay and enjoy a very courteous stay. I picked the hotel through TripAdvisor and I was not disappointed at all!

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with family
3 Thank theroamingtechnocrat
Treviso, Italy
Reviewed 18 September 2009

It is a Modern and very friendly hotel, situated 5-10 minutes to the center of the city. Clean and very much staff, we had a very great time in the hotel,

Rooms, Very clean, and nice ones only noises , one can here noises of other rooms through the walls.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family