“Best-kept secret in Graz”
Review of Braun de Praun - CLOSED

Cuisines: Austrian
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed 11 October 2013

I have been here many many times over the past 30 years. This place has it all, as long as you're not looking for expensive ambience-- it is quite shabby actually. I have never eaten badly here, only well. The menu card is pages and pages long; we used to joke about subterranean caverns wherein all that food must be stored and cooked! I don't know how they do it, but service is fast and the food is always more than good. Fried foods (such as a real Wiener Schnitzel, made from veal, not pork) are invariably grease-free and the chef is a dab hand with sauces too. You can get everything from hearty cheapo student meals like Knödel und Ei (leftover bread dumplings sliced and friend with egg) to gourmet offerings like homemade ravioli filled with lobster. Especially good are the traditional Austrian meals such as boiled beef with apple horseradish, creamed spinach and Rösti, or anything from the seasonal daily menu. There is a large shaded garden out back for summer days-- oh, and do order the Salzburger Nockerln at least once. Some people complain about one of the waiters who can be a bit surly but to me he is an institution. The beer is good, the wine is good, and I can't imagine anyone not finding something on the menu to appeal. BdP does not advertise: they don't need to. Grazers know where to go!

1  Thank Holly L

Reviewed 8 March 2013

Living nearby, I am a little preconditioned, but it is really surprising how it's possible to have such a large menu and being able to deliver all sort of food in such quality and speed. I am eating in restaurants at least twice a week, but this place is one of my favourites for its constant quality.

1  Thank ManyStays
Reviewed 27 August 2012

I have been here a few times as a close friend of mine lives in Graz. Each time the atmosphere has been warm and welcoming and you are treated like an old friend.

The menu is huge which sometimes concerns me as how can a restaurant possibly produce excellent quality dishes when there is such an array that people can choose from?! Somehow this place succeeds. The food is traditional, hearty Austrian fare and is extremely good value. I am a vegetarian so it's not always easy to eat a variety of dishes in Austria, as it's so good at producing meaty things, but Braun de Praun really does offer lovely choices for those who don't eat meat or fish. I have also been informed by friends and family that the non-veggy dishes are delicious.

It's a great place to go in the winter as inside is so cosy but it's fab in the summer as it has a lovely outside area at the rear where you can easily while away the evening drinking and eating to your hearts content.

I always recommend this restaurant to friends visiting Graz and I try to visit each time I go to see my friends.

1  Thank KC82London
Reviewed 13 August 2012

Came here with the boyfriend and one thing I have to say is that the food is absolutely DELICIOUS!! We are both incredibly picky when it comes to food (picky doesn't even describe us...) and there was so much excellent choice on the menu and then to top it off it tasted SOOO good!! We ended up going there a few times for food! The waiter... Alois, was absolutely wonderful!! Friendliest waiter I have ever met AND he could speak superb english!! Pure awesomeness!!! Definitely worth a visit :)

1  Thank Picky_English_Girl
Reviewed 18 February 2012

We were told about this little sidestreet restaurant near the university area by someone who works nearby and eats there regularly. We were glad to have the tip. It's an unpretentious, simple, wooden-floored, wooden-panelled old pub with several small rooms - smoking rooms at the front, non-smoking at the back. There's a huge menu, but there's always a dish of the day (such as sausages and chips, or baked noodles with cheese) for 5 Euros which is an unbeatable price. Food is hearty, straightforward and served in generous portions. There's nothing chic about this place, but it's full of students and local workers, and all the better for it. It wasn't in our guidebook but we were very pleased to discover it, and we ate there several times during our stay in Graz.