“What a disappointment”

Falkensteiner Hotel & Asia Spa Leoben
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Leoben
“What a disappointment”
Reviewed 8 December 2013 via mobile

Stayed here a few weeks ago over he weekend to re-energize after a business trip. We selected this place because it was reasonably close to Vienna where we live and were looking forward to the spa. We weren't the only ones! The place was way overcrowded. The spa is also open to the public(even more people). We arrived at 2pm on Saturday and it was around 3 before we could make it to the spa. There was no space to lay. You could not even squeeze in anywhere. We waited 20 minutes and were 'lucky' to get a spot. All the saunas were full. It was a joke. It was also obvious in the hotel that they could not handle that amount of guests as dinner was completely chaotic. He food was boring, once you got it after lots of waiting. It must of been 30 minutes before they cleared our table. Same story for breakfast. Our room was small and nothing special. Strangely laid out bathroom. Needless to say we will not be going back. Find a hotel with a spa not open to the public at least.

Stayed November 2013
5 Thank Dan M
Wolfgang T, General Manager at Falkensteiner Hotel & Asia Spa Leoben, responded to this review, 20 March 2014
Dear Guests,
Thank you very much for having chosen the Falkensteiner Leoben for your most recent stay.
On behalf of the entire team I would like to appologize for any inconvenience caused during your visit in Leoben and that we had not been able to meet your expecations in terms of service and guest satisfaction.
It is unfortunate that due to the weather condition that particular week that Spa was completely busy in taking care of that many custumers, we are very sorry that your experience had not been up to the normal standard.
We all would like to welcome you back again to the Falkensteiner Leoben and are looking forward to your next visit. Please come back to me at any given time via wolfgang.tesch@falkensteiner.com if you need further informations, i will be at your service.
Thank you for staying with us and best regards from Leoben.
Falkensteiner Leoben & Team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Korean first
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 October 2013

Stayed a couple of nights while travelling on business. Selected a Junior suite as the season was clearly low, as were prices. Delighted by the room...spacious, well designed and excellent quality furnishings. Splendid bathroom and a lovely balcony that looked over the river & towards the Spa.
Dinner with colleagues was incredibly well priced, with an excellent local (yes, really) red recommended by the waiter.
Breakfast was the usual mix of US and European with just sufficient local additions e.g. Apfelstrudel, Topfenstrudel and lashings of lovely Austrian Coffee to make a long, lingering petit-dejeuner the order of the day!

Room Tip: Suites are on the second floor, furthest from the lift
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Tim H
Wolfgang T, General Manager at Falkensteiner Hotel & Asia Spa Leoben, responded to this review, 16 October 2013
Dear Guests,
Thank you very much for taking the time in placing your comments about your most recent stay here at the Falkensteiner Leoben online. We all are delighted to hear that you did spend a good time here in Leoben and that you have been very pleased with the facilities and services provided by the hotel team.
It has been indeed our pleasure in being your host here in Leoben and we all are looking forward to welcome you back to the Falkensteiner Leoben.
Best regards and many greetings from Leoben
Falkensteiner Leoben
London
Reviewed 6 April 2013

I travel often to Leoben for business and this hotel is very conveniently situated close to the University which was the main reason for my first visit there. I have since travelled to Leoben and stayed there more than 5 times and every time I do enjoy my stay.

The plus is that for every room you book, you also get free access to the spa. I will discuss this later...

The staff is generally very helpful and also speak English which is a plus for the non german speaking crowd. Upon arrival you get shown to your room. Ask for the voucher which gives you access to the internet in your room. Otherwise you can also connect from the business lounge downstairs next to the bar. Wifi is free there.

The room are generally tidy and you will find all you need there. Some room are more tired than others and I have found that some of them could be refreshed a bit. The bed is comfortable, you have a large bathroom, a balcony and a desk where you can work at night if needed. Also in the room, you will find a bath robe and sleepers if you want to go to the spa.

The spa is itself very interesting. Being French and working with British people for many years, I have to say that the nudity is generally something we do try to keep to the minimum. Well if you go to the spa, and want to enjoy the outside heathed swimming pools and sauna but nudity is an issue with you, then avoid.

Breakfast in the morning is really good and full of everything.

Apart from the spa experience, the falkensteiner is definitely to be recommended.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank mexicofriend
Wolfgang T, General Manager at Falkensteiner Hotel & Asia Spa Leoben, responded to this review, 21 March 2014
Dear Guests,
On behalf of the entire team I would like to thank you for having chosen the Falkensteiner Leoben for your stay.
We all are delighted to hear that you did spend wonderful days here in our city and that you have been very pleased with the hotels facilities and the service provided by our team. Thank you.
We all are loooking forward to welcome you back to the Falkensteiner Leoben in the near future.
Thank you for staying with us and best regards from Leoben
Falkensteiner Leoben & team
Curitiba, PR
Reviewed 27 February 2013

I was working in Leoben, so I could not enjoy this excellent hotel & Spa. I was impressed with the structure of the hotel, beautifully decorated, the room was that made ​​me want to return and stay longer, because it was beautiful. The bed was very good, the bathroom was very nice and the view from the balcony, very beautiful. The breakfast served in the hotel was very varied and very good, actually very good quality. The sleep quality was spectacular, divine. Highly indicated.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
Dear Guests,
Thank you very much for having chosen our Falkensteiner Leoben for your most recent stay here in Leoben. On behalf of the entire crew we would like to thank you for your kind and open words.
We all are delighted to hear that you have been very pleased with the services and facilities provided by the hotel and we all are looking forward to welcome you back in Leoben soon.
Best regards from Styria
Sweden
Reviewed 25 February 2013

It was the second time I stayed at this hotel. The room was very good and also toilet and shower - clean and tidy. I lived on the top floor in a room overlooking the park - although snow on the lawn, but I saw dogs who played there early in the morning. The breakfast was quite sufficient to be satisfied. They also had their own cook who fried eggs, omelets, bacon - very nice. What one can criticize is that there was quite a lot of smoke from this frying place, coming out where one took breakfast.
Positively is that you receive access to the Asia Spa when staying at the hotel. Just to put on the dressing gown and the slippers in the room, ride the elevator down to the basement and walk about 75 meters then came to the spa. There were many different types of sauna, swimming pools, and even those that were common to both naked men and women!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
Wolfgang T, General Manager at Falkensteiner Hotel & Asia Spa Leoben, responded to this review, 18 March 2014
Dear Mr. Harald,
Thank you very much from all of us for having chosen again the Falkensteiner Leoben for your most recent stay here in our city.
We all had been very happy to welcome you back for the second time to our hotel and wer are delighted to read that also this time you had been very pleased with the services and facilities provided by the hotel team. Thank you for your kind and open words. much appreciated indeed.
We are already working on the smoke exhauster at the breakfast station, our facility management is aware of that defect.
Dear Mr. Harald, we all are looking forward to welcome you back in the near future. Thank you and best regards from Leoben
Arad, Romania
Reviewed 4 January 2013

If I will take into consideration reviews what I read , maybe I do not want to make this trip.Fortunately I make this trip , and it was a nice trip.Hotel was in good condition, room have a good size and I find very clean.Excelent breakfast with a lot of choice.What I do not like it was that our room was not so warm because was situated on a corner.Excelent spa , with a lot of sauna choice and a good size relaxation area.Another small complain is that wifi is not free of charge.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for having chosen the Falkensteiner Leoben for your most recent stay here in Leoben.
We all are delighted to hear that you did spend wonderful days in our City and that you have been very pleased with the facilities and services provided by the hotel team. Thank you for your kind and open words, which are very much appreciated by all of us.
We all are looking forward to welcome you back to the Falkensteiner Leoben.
Best regards and "Glück Auf" from Styria.
Reviewed 1 December 2012

There are already some reviews earlier outlining how this so called 4 star hotel is far from that. I will therefore just quickly list what I found:
- Cigaret buts othe floor of the balcony.
- All kind of old, dry grass Andover stuff growing right in front of the glass door leading out to the emergency exit.
- Dust on TV, chrome fixtures in the bathroom.
- Quite some scratch marks and some cracks on walls, both in the room and in the public areas.
- Under the AC there were huge spots left from some water seeping out.
- On the carpet, the outlines of some old stain were still visible.
- At breakfast, at a little later hour, the fruit looked already quite old. So did the cheese, getting dry on the sides. Also the buffet is quite a walk away from the tables prepared for guests.

Nothing actually stuck as overly positive. I hope these reviews find their way to upper management of the Falkensteiner group. I will definitely send them as a letter.

Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank formosae84
Also consider these accommodations in or near Leoben
Hotel Kongress
#1 of 1 in Zeltweg
Pension Jahrbacher
Pension Jahrbacher
#1 of 6 in Leoben

Been to Falkensteiner Hotel & Asia Spa Leoben? Share your experiences!