“Small but cosy room, excellent location”

City Hotel zum Domplatz
Ranked #1 of 26 Klagenfurt B&B and Inns
Reviewed 19 August 2013

Spent 3 nights here & though a bit shocked initially at the size of the room, we had a porch with chairs and table outside where could eat spread out in the evening. Not too far to walk from the station & a pleasant walk into the town centre. As we soon found was typical in this part of the world, the pillows which look nice and plump, seem to be filled with fairy floss and collapse as soon as you touch them. I'm tempted to take my own next time.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank joncullis

Reviewed 18 August 2013

Just got back from 9 nights in the City Hotel and can recommend for a stay in Klagenfurt & Worthersee. Admittedly the room was very hot but that was more because of the 36 degree heat outside rather than the hotels fault! An electric fan was soon bought -problem solved. The hotel is very convenient for both train & buses, as well as some lovely bars & restaurants. There are lots of lovely towns & villages to visit nearby. Although not many British people seem to go to this area for holidays, we were made very welcome at the hotel and everywhere we went, A lovely area. Would love to go back in the snow!.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank alderclose
Reviewed 28 June 2013

Spent two nights in this comfortable hotel, close to the main square in Klagenfurt. We were initially offered a room which after spending 15 minutes within found to be too small and claustrophobic. After seeking if an alternative was available the manager showed us a larger more accommodating room, which we took. Apart from this initial setback the remainder of our stay was quite pleasant. The breakfast was adequate and filling. The hotel location is close to the main centre and within walking distance of the old town. The staff are very pleasant and helpful

Room Tip: Seek the larger rooms on offer
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 May 2013

We took this hotel as we were running late after seven hours' travel and the photos looked quite reasonable on Booking.com. From the minute I stepped through the door I was disappointed by how grubby it seemed. No lift! The room was a mish mash and what looked pristine in the photos was definitely not in reality, it was clean enough but the wallpaper was coming off and it was just generally shabby. The bad was a concrete block and the two (only ) pillows had no substance, therefore a bad night's sleep. Not a bit of soundproofing and very noise guests in the middle of the night. Next morning I went for my shower to find that the shower head was just drooping on the shower tray and there was nowhere to hang it, the shower door (one half of) fell into my hands - so no shower. What does one expect from an hote - a good sleep and a nice bath or shower in the morning - we had neither. At breakfast (OK) I politely explained to the owner (?) about the bad facilities and he gave me a look of horror! He didn't apologise or offer to go and check and that was the end of it. I then explained to the receptionist when I was checking out and I received the same response. I told her I would write negative reviews, not because of the problem but because of their manner of coping with it and she just shrugged her shoulders and walked off. My husband had to hold me back!!!! We will return to Klagenfurt but I will never set foot in this awful place again. Unfortunately our camera needed charging so I have no photos.

Room Tip: Don't stay at this hotel!
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 September 2012

Owner couldn't be nicer, no lift so had to carry luggage up 2 high flights of stairs, thought cosy family run hotel, rooms will be nice, omgg was I wrong! Bed was pushed against one wall, woodchip wallpaper with grubby marks everywhere. Bedding was clean, and it was only a one night so we stayed! Bathroom, well shower room was very compact and. Bijou with a saniflow rather than mains. Would never recommend to my worst enemy.

• Stayed: September 2012
2  Thank travellers_inc2
Reviewed 7 August 2012

Despite the fact that this is an average Hotel in a small town, we had a surprising level of service from the owner manger and his limited staff. Breakfast room is very nice. Rooms are quity large even if a little more mantainance could help. Overall a very positive experience.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank ziocut
cityhotelklu, Manager at City Hotel zum Domplatz, responded to this reviewResponded 24 September 2012

Dear Ziocut

Thank you very much for your review and the compliments.
We hope, you had a great trip and hope to welcome you again in the City Hotel.

Regards
Oliver Oth
Manager

Reviewed 3 July 2012

My new husband and stayed at this City Hotel zum Domplatz on our honeymoon in Europe in May. We mentioned it was our honeymoon when we booked and when we got there we were treated so well (however I am sure they would treat all guests the same way). The room was lovely and we were given a bottle of champagne. The front office receptionist was so friendly and helpful. The owner came in when we were checking in and he welcomed us like he was awaiting out arrival (which made us feel special) and he knew about us. We wished we could have stayed there longer. I HIGHLY recommend this place to stay. Its very clean and tidy and I loved the decor.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Julie G

Thank you very much for your very very nice review and for awarding our hotel as the best in Europe. Your compliments are very valuable to us and our work and will be passed on to our staff.

It was a pleasure having you as our guests and we hope, that you had a great honeymoon trip and that you came home safely.

Regards