“Way Overpriced! But Located Across From Train - Not Here for Vacation”
Review of Hotel City

Hotel City
Ranked #6 of 19 Hotels in Villach
San Diego, California
“Way Overpriced! But Located Across From Train - Not Here for Vacation”
Reviewed 14 November 2013

The only reason we stayed here was because it was the closest hotel to the train and we didn't have to take a taxi. Our only other option was to sleep on the over night train to Trieste. While the room was clean - it was small and the bathroom was beyond small! They claim to be 4 star but there were no amenities to speak of. The front desk staff seemed to be so busy with themselves, never once did we feel we were guests - more like intruders! As far as I can tell this is a transit hotel and no one would come here otherwise.

Room Tip: We were on a high floor and it was quiet.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Conrad C
Hotel C, Geschäftsführer at Hotel City, responded to this review, 25 November 2013
Dear family, thank you for taking time to leave a review.
With this you helped us and we want to apologize. It is unusual that guests are not treated well and friendly in our hotel and we are so very very sorry that you did not feel comfortable.
If that in the case perhaps our colleagues were busy with our new hotel program and the software staff. For this behaviour is not a justification because in our hotel the most important are the guests. Please forgive us and thank you, for telling us. It will not happen again.
We hope you enjoyed our breakfast buffet and please accept our apologies.
We wish you all the best,
Your repentant Hotel City Team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 17 June 2013

This was my second stay in Hotel City and comes pretty much exactly a year to the day since my previous stay. Nothing at all has changed - which is a good thing. Down to me even having the same room as last time. Yes, once again I opted for one of their executive rooms, which are worth the extra money - lots of space, lots of light and air conditioning (a necessity for Villach in June).

Hotel provides almost everything you need. Comfortable/clean/bright/modern rooms, free wifi, polite professional staff and a good breakfast to start the day off on the right foot.

All that is missing is a bar/restaurant for the evenings - the lack of one is an inconvenience because it means you have to either leave the hotel or sit in your room.

All in all, another pleasant stay

Room Tip: Definitely choose an executive room on the second floor.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Hotel C, Manager at Hotel City, responded to this review, 19 June 2013
Dear guests- thank you very much for this "super" statement for our hotel and its employers- we are very happy and looking forward to your next stay . Best regards - enjoy your time!
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed 6 January 2013

Close to the railway station, this was a very nice hotel, with clean neat rooms and most helpful reception staff who spoke adequate English. The best breakfast we had come across with an almost excessive range of food choices. In fact we were only booked in for one night initially, but felt we would have liked to stay longer in Villach. Ast turned out we did return to Villach and stayed some extra days later.

Room Tip: Rooms at back have a view over rooftops of Villach to Mountain ranges
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Andersonian1941
Hotel C, Geschäftsführer at Hotel City, responded to this review, 8 January 2013
Dear Hotel City guests! Thank you - thank you for the wonderful feedback. My team and me are so happy that you enjoyed the stay . We are looking forward to welcome you again in Hotel City.
Have a wonderful New Year!
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 6 September 2012

I visited Villach this summer as I have family roots there. I booked the Hotel City through Booking.com and it was almost absolutely perfect. Great service at the front desk, amazing location right in the heart of downtown and across from the train station, and walking distance to pretty much all downtown shops, restaurants, etc. Free parking, as well! The only thing that was less than great was the loud pub outside my window. It was a bit noisy at night, but while on vacation, I didn't mind! Great place - I highly recommend.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
Hotel C, Geschäftsführer at Hotel City, responded to this review, 10 September 2012
Dear Hotel City guest with family roots in Villach! Thank you for the good points for us. We are looking forward to welcome you in the next future. Have a nice time and best wishes from Hotel City Team
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 July 2012

Basic rooms and very hot in hot weather without any air conditioning, service very good and friendly.
breakfast pretty decent.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
Hotel C, Geschäftsführer at Hotel City, responded to this review, 24 July 2012
dear Hotel City guest! Thank you for your good assessment. For the next stay in hotel- please be so kind and order another type of rooms- we have rooms with air condition, superior rooms etc.
Looking forward to your visit! Best regards from Hotel City team
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 21 June 2012

You get what you pay for

I had very serious reservations about booking a room in this hotel, based mainly on the reviews here on Trip Advisor. Initial concerns were raised even higher when I tried to make a booking online using the hotels own website. The booking went through fine, but it never asked for credit card details (how was the booking secured??) and I didn't get a confirmation email.

The following day I rang the hotel to ensure the booking was made, because I didn't want to find out that I didn't have a reservation, having travelled so far. But the receptionist confirmed the room was booked (phew) and I gave her my credit card details as confirmation from my end.

Fast forward to trip...

I stayed in the Hotel City for 9 nights in June, during a period where Villach was experiencing it's hottest weather in 10 years (35 degrees celsius). I had read reviews about how hot the rooms were, so was very apprehensive.

I travelled to Villach from Munich on the train so after a long, hot journey, I was pretty over heated and uncomfortable. I knew the hotel was beside the train station and often this means it's going to be in a less than salubrious area, but to be honest it was fine. Clean, quiet and thankfully a stones throw from the train station. So no need for a taxi or a long walk with baggage.

Check in was fine (polite and friendly) but a bit strange again in that they didn't take a swipe (preauthorise) of my credit card and never asked for ID.  Regardless, it was a quick painless checkin and I was shown to the lift.

As I was staying for an extended period, I reserved one of their superior double rooms and after a long, hot train journey (5 hours), I'm so glad I did. The room is up there amongst the best hotel rooms I have ever stayed in.

Clean, modern, lots of space and bright, with floor to ceiling windows running the whole length of the room. The bathroom was spotless and modern with a whirlpool/jacuzzi bath and a separate stand in power shower with more jets, lights, buttons and colours than I could figure out how to use.

The room was fresh smelling and had air conditioning, which was a blessing. Ok, so the room is more expensive than the standard rooms, but you get what you pay for. There was a sofa, so no need to sit on the bed, a desk/workspace, flat screen TV with limited English channels and free wifi which worked fine (although was slow at times).

To be honest, I have no real complaints about the hotel room at all. OK, so there was no iron in the room, which meant collecting it at reception (small nit pick), but that's about the only problem.

The major problem with the hotel is that it does not have a restaurant or bar. So no drinks or dinners in the evening, you have to go out (city centre is a short 5 minute walk). A pretty wide selection for breakfast (continental) is available and was good each day, so at least you can start the day on a full stomach.

I'd dread to think of how bad my stay could have been if I was cooped up in one of their smaller rooms, with no air conditioning and no where else to spend time in the hotel bar your room. But having invested that little bit more, my room was truly an oasis from the heat and a very comfortable place to be each evening after work.

Would I recommend? Absolutely.... but go for a superior room.

Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
, Geschäftsführer at Hotel City, responded to this review, 16 July 2012
Dear Hotel City guest! Thank you very much for this good statement! The Hotel City team is very , very happy about these good words. We are looking forward to welcom you again and wish all the best for you.
Reviewed 18 April 2012

I have stayed here several times, and found it a good place to stay, the staff friendly and helpful, the only negatives being somewhat small bathroom and the WiLAN access not working with my smartphone... Very nice breakfast room staff during my stays.

• Stayed April 2012
Hotel C, Geschäftsführer at Hotel City, responded to this review, 3 June 2012
Dear Hotel City guest "Lohikarhu": Thank you so much for your positive words - we are glad that you felt warm and welcome and that you will do so in future. About the bathrooms please just ask at the reception the next time you check in - we will try our best to provide you a room with a bigger one, which we definitely have. Our WiFi-Station is in a renewing-phase, we hope that next time you come your phone will be working as well. Have a nice time and see you soon in Hotel City in Villach, Karin Strickner and the Hotel City Team.