“Spa by the ski slope”

Ranked #20 of 35 Hotels in Obertauern
Oslo
“Spa by the ski slope”
Reviewed 24 March 2009

We stayed at the hotel during our ski holiday. We spent 7 nights there. Our room was big and comfortable, with separate toilet and a bathroom with a bath tube. The room was very clean and had a nice view. The only thing I did not like about it was the bed - it was extremely hard! It took me several nights to get used to it and be able to sleep the whole night without waking up a few times in uncomfortable positions.

But it wasn't the room that was the best about the place. It was the wellness and relaxation area! The hotel had a swimming pool (a bit cold I must confess, I'd rather it was several degrees warmer!) and a tepidarium that were available to all, and a relaxation area and wellness area that were available to adults only. The relaxation area had about 15 beach recliners. The room was bathing in warm lights, the walls and ceiling were painted in relaxing, warm colors and relaxing music was played. We used to spend a couple of hours there before dinner, reading. Since no children were allowed, it was very quiet, except for occasional snores. Next to the relaxation area there was a wellness area. In it there were 3 types of sauna, foot massage and a jacuzzi. My favorite was an inhalation sauna - the temperature there was slightly lower then in Finnish sauna - about 60-70 degrees C. The light was changing every minute or so, varying between all the colors of the rainbow. The room was filled with an etheric oil, smelling of apple, cinnamon and some other more subtle ingredients. Extremely relaxing after the whole day spent skiing in bad weather! But one word of advice - the wellness area is naked area! You're allowed to use a towel (most don't), but not a bathing suit. So if you feel uncomfortable seeing and being seen naked, stay away!

My next word of praise goes to the restaurant. The food was delicious(even if the choice each evening was between fish and two meat dishes, and I'd prefer to have a vegetarian option to choose as well). Every evening we were served 5-course dinner - appetizer, soup, salad buffet with huge choice, main course and 3 types of dessert to choose from. The wines (Austrian only) recommended to the menu were expensive, but good too. And the stuff was extremely attentive, always smiling and making us feel as friends, and not guests.
Breakfast buffet was copious. Between 15:30 and 17:30 there was a free cake buffet as well.

The hotel was right by the ski slope, connected to it by a ski bridge. On the other hand, it was quite a walk (10 min. carring skis) from after ski at Lurzer Alm (see separate review).

And one more thing - as I learn German, I cherish every opportunity to practice it. Three years ago I went skiing in Bad Gastein, expecting to practice my German. In fact, I'd used a few month brushing up my German before I went. To my huge disappointment nobody wanted to speak German! Even if I started the conversation in German, the reply was delivered in English! It made me really frustrated! So this time I expected it to be the same. But it was not! Of course, the whole stuff was speaking English as well, but I could practice as much German as I wanted this time!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)