“Little clean pension in a good location”
Review of Pension Katrin

and 1 more site!
Pension Katrin
Ranked #8 of 61 Salzburg B&B and Inns
Sunnyvale, California
“Little clean pension in a good location”
Reviewed 30 June 2013

Clean and cozy, away from bustling areas. I only have one day in Salzburg, therefor, I found Pension Katrin's location meets my needs.

The pension is 5 - 10 minutes bus ride (toward north, bus 5) to Mozartsteg, and 10 - 15 minutes bus ride (toward south, bus 25) to Hellbrunn, from Hellbrunn you can continue bus 25 to Untersterg cable card. Bus 5 comes every 20 minutes taking you to the train station.

I arrived Hellbrunn at 9:00 and joined 9:45 tour, then continued to Untersterg and took 11:30 cable car to reached the top, bus 25 took me to Morzat Residence (Makartplatz bus station), after visiting Mozart Wohnhaus, I wondered across the Mozartsteg and had coffee and cake at Tomaselli coffe house at Alter Market, then started a self guided Salzburg town walk audio tour downloaded from iTune podcast, I finished the day by taking cable car to Hohensalzburg Fortress.

I made sure I had enough time for every sites, except Untersterg because I was not into hiking and the cable car ride was enough for me to experience the height.

Room Tip: My room is at second floor facing the side yard, so it is not noisy. You might hear you neighbors be...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed 21 June 2013

We spent 2 nights here with our teenage daughters. We were in the family room that accommodates four. It was very clean & comfortable. The breakfast was delicious and there was a generous spread. Sandra was very friendly and helpful. She recommended a great italian restaurant which was a 3 min walk. It is a 15-20 min walk into the old part of town. Parking available on premise. There is a bus stop close to the B&B. Despite being on a busy street the windows blocked off most of the street noise.
Highly recommend this B&B.

Room Tip: The family room is spacious,clean, bright and comfortable.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Winter Haven, Florida
Reviewed 12 June 2013

My wife and I stayed at Pension Katrin for two nights in April, 2013. We were very pleased. It was a wonderful stay.

The pension is charming and comfortable and might remind you of a farm cottage despite the fact that it sits on a very busy street.

Our room on the third floor was small, but sunny and inviting. It was clean and tidy, as was the bath.

Sandra has been mentioned many times in these reviews and for good reason. She is very friendly, easy to talk with, extremely helpful and obviously the primary reason Pension Katrin is so well-liked.

Breakfast was very nice and not lacking for anything. We enjoyed sitting out in the sun room and taking in the beautiful mornings.

The location is not as convenient as others, but the walk to the old town is not a burden. If you're willing to climb a hill, taking the shorter Nonnbergasse path around the abbey is a charming walk. One note: The Haupstrasse is very busy and has a sharp turn where you will want to cross, but this is very dangerous. Cross the street well in advance and you won't have to risk your life!

Pension Katrin is a marvelous place to stay. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the busy street.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Saxonole
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 29 May 2013

We spend 2 nights here on a whirlwind trip through Europe. Location is just out of the old part of town but easy walk. 10 rooms only. Very friendly welcome. Clean tidy free WI-FI. Breakfast also included. Easy to get to on bus. Great place to rest and base yourself for exploring Salzburg.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Broomfield, Colorado, United States
Reviewed 10 May 2013

During our recent visit to Salzburg, my wife and I wanted the convenience of a location close to the Old Town, and the quiet we seem to need for a good rest after a busy day of sightseeing. Pension Katrin turned out o be a good pick, since it is only a 10-15 minute walk from the base of the Festung Hohensalzburg funicular, and is right on a major bus route (#5) that gives you access to many of the Old Town sights, as well as the train station. Another easily accessed bus allows an easy trip to both Hellbrunn Palace, and the Unterberg cable car. Despite its location on a busy street, the rooms have good sound insulation with the windows closed, and the traffic noise with the windows open was not an issue once the evening rush hour wound down.

Our hostess was absolutely fabulous, and helped us make arrangements for dining and transportation. She has a truly warm and friendly attitude that made us feel very welcome. In order to practice my very marginal German, I asked her to speak to me in German, which she cheerfully did,and helped me in English when I fell short. I really appreciated her making the effort to accommodate my interest in the language.

The room was adequate in size, very clean, and had a comfortable double bed. There is an in room safe, a shower, and a minibar. As is usual with European lodgings, there was a small armoire, few electrical outlets, and the sink stands alone without counter space. A hair dryer is provided.

Breakfast was a pleasant surprise, with a good selection of fruits, vegetables, meats, cheeses, cereal, yogurt, juices, breads and terrific coffee with frothed milk. The wintergarten or atrium is a beautiful little room off of the breakfast area where we enjoyed lingering over our breakfast and planning our day. The garden area in front of the pension provides a pleasing view.

In short, I believe that Pension Katrin provides an excellent value for lodging in Salzburg, and you can expect a clean, comfortable place with warm hospitality.

Room Tip: Our room was #10. There may be some advantage to getting a room that does not face the street, espec...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Chevy Chase, Maryland
Reviewed 14 April 2013

We spent two nights here in October 2012 and were very pleased with the room, the breakfast, and especially the service. The only negative (and it's not very negative) is that it's a 10 or 15 minute walk to the "downtown" area. On the other hand, buses are very convenient to the hotel and town. The hostess was wonderful and made some very helpful suggestions for local sights and restaurants. We would stay there again if we returned to Salzburg.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Michael C
Florida
Reviewed 8 April 2013

We received a very warm welcome from Sandra. She was very competent, friendly, and helpful in answering our questions about the area. She made reservations for our Sound of Music tour with Bob's Special Tours (nice tour) and our castle tours in Germany. The B&B is close to shops and restaurants. It is about a 10 minute walk to city centre. A bus stop is next to B&B. The rooms are very nice and clean. The breakfast was fantastic. It had hard boiled eggs, cut-up fruit, several choices of bread and rolls, yogurt, cereal, cheese and cold cuts, jams, and good coffee. There was ample parking. We really enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family