“Wonderful Pension” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #9 of 62 Salzburg B&B and Inns
Stony Plain, Canada
“Wonderful Pension”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2013

We stayed at the Pension Katrin for two nights and thoroughly agree with all of the 5 star ratings given. Sandra was extremely friendly and helpful; she provided maps, directions, restaurant recommendations and booked a tour for us. The room was well- appointed, meticulously clean and very comfortable. The breakfast was great, with a good variety of food choices, including boiled eggs on request. Free parking was provided, which was greatly appreciated as this was not available at most places we stayed on our trip. The walk to the Old Town is about 15 minutes and Sandra provided information on bus service, which would be helpful for those with motility issues. We would definitely return to the Pension Katrin.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Bev P

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2013

We recently stayed at Pension Katrin. It is a lovely B & B in a quiet neighborhood outside of Old Town Salzburg. It is immaculately clean and offers a nice continental breakfast in the morning. Rooms vary in size, and from previous reviews, it seems some of the rooms are small. We had a good size room on the front of the house on the 3rd floor. There is a mini-bar and safe in the room. It was very comfortable. Sandra, the owner, is a gracious host and most helpful regarding directions around town, bus routes, restaurants, etc. Pension Katrin is within a 20 walking distance from the Old Town. We traveled totally on the local buses which were very convenient and came frequently. We did buy the Salzburg Card from Sandra right at the hotel. This got us on all the local transportation, as well as entrance to numerous attractions in and around Salzburg. It is well worth the price which was minimal compared to what we would have paid if we had done everything separately. There are a couple of restaurants nearby within walking distance.
There is no elevator, so take this into consideration when booking if stairs are an issue. We highly recommend this wonderful guest house if you are looking for a small, comfortable place to stay at a good value.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Moonstone07
Andover, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2013

My husband and I stayed here this past September. It is a beautiful place, painted in a pale yellow with lovely plants and flowers around it. Our room was a bit small, but it was very clean and the furnishings looked new. The bathroom had a shower, magnifying mirror and hair blower. Liquid soap was provided. The closet had a built-in safe. There was no air conditioning, but it was a bit rainy and damp during our visit so we didn't need it. Umbrellas are provided for the borrowing. The hostess was very welcoming and helpful. Breakfast was plentiful with cold meats, cheeses (including Brie which I love), eggs on request, juices, breads ( many varieties), cakes (made by the hostess and absolutely delicious), jams, fruits, cut mixed fruit, coffee and tea. You could eat in a lovely glassed-in sun room surrounded by the wonderful gardens outside. It was served from 7:30~10:00. We had a car and were able to park it on their property. We walked to the town center; about 10-15 min. nice walk, although there is a bus that stops nearby. All the locals were dressed up in their lederhosen and dirndls and felt jackets. It was great fun.
We easily drove to Berchesgarden (Eagle's Nest), Konigsee ( lovely lake with park and shops to stroll around), the Salt Mine (fun tour).
The hostess recommended LaGiocomo's for dinner - right down the street. Wonderful Italian restaurant; we were lucky we got in without a reservation because they fill up fast, but we went early.
Pension Katrin is a very pleasant place to stay while in Salzburg; I highly recommend it.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank SBMp
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2013

Having stayed in a multitude of hotels prior to this, Pension Katrin certainly presented a positive change of pace. The homely B&B was clean and an easy 10min walk to the centre of Salzburg. The location was particularly good given we had a car and was on the way to most of the attractions including The Eagles Nest, Hellbrunn, Untergarten, without having to pass back through the town. Sandra was an excellent hostess with tips and suggestions. Highly recommended.

Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Brisbane
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2013

We stayed 5 nights at this guesthouse in early July. I loved it from the first sight. The gardens, the manner of our hostess, the lovely breakfast area and breakfast. We were lucky to get a large double room. The only negative thing I can think of is that it was hot weather and the room tended to be a bit stuffy at night as we shut the windows to eliminate street noise. Also, there is no elevator but that did not concern us. No noise once windows are shut. Sandra, ( I think that is her name looking at other reviews) is just wonderful. Extremely helpful with travel information, thoughtful. So gracious and elegant - my new style icon. She certainly added to my appreciation of the place. On a good bus route into town but we often walked. About a 15 - 20 min pleasant walk. Highly recommend this place.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2013

My husband and I selected this B&B based on the reviews here on Trip Advisor, and we were very pleased with the pension - the staff was friendly, the room was spacious and clean, and the breakfast was delicious. I would wholeheartedly recommend this to friends, family, and other travelers.

One thing I would note is that it took a little longer to walk into town than many stated...and we had a brisk pace because it was freezing and rainy when we were in Salzburg! That would not deter me from returning, however, and the pension is close to a few restaurants without going back into the center of town. (We ate at Nestor and thought the food was delicious, and English menus were available!)

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CLETravelBugs
Sunnyvale, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2013

Clean and cozy, away from bustling areas. I only have one day in Salzburg, therefor, I found Pension Katrin's location meets my needs.

The pension is 5 - 10 minutes bus ride (toward north, bus 5) to Mozartsteg, and 10 - 15 minutes bus ride (toward south, bus 25) to Hellbrunn, from Hellbrunn you can continue bus 25 to Untersterg cable card. Bus 5 comes every 20 minutes taking you to the train station.

I arrived Hellbrunn at 9:00 and joined 9:45 tour, then continued to Untersterg and took 11:30 cable car to reached the top, bus 25 took me to Morzat Residence (Makartplatz bus station), after visiting Mozart Wohnhaus, I wondered across the Mozartsteg and had coffee and cake at Tomaselli coffe house at Alter Market, then started a self guided Salzburg town walk audio tour downloaded from iTune podcast, I finished the day by taking cable car to Hohensalzburg Fortress.

I made sure I had enough time for every sites, except Untersterg because I was not into hiking and the cable car ride was enough for me to experience the height.

Room Tip: My room is at second floor facing the side yard, so it is not noisy. You might hear you neighbors be...