“Disappointing”

Cuisines: Austrian
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 11 July 2014

We ate at gablerbrau across the road the previous night, and thought it much better
The carpaccio was excellent, but the tafelspits not as good as the competition

Reviewed 10 July 2014

This place really is fantastic. I was a little perturbed to find that the seating is shared but quickly got over this shock when I sat at a table with two other parties who were more than willing to converse with me in English. The wait staff were courteous, friendly, and charming. The food was excellent. The beef goulash I ordered was exquisite, the meat practically melting in my mouth it was so tender. It also comes with a rather substantial dumpling (about the size of a tennis ball!).
I was surprised to fin that 'wheat beer and cola' was on offer and said I'd have a go. My beer drinking has been revolutionised!
The dessert menu comes printed on a rolling pin (a very nice touch) though I was much too full to indulge. I will certainly do my best to return here before the end of my trip. Superb!

Reviewed 24 June 2014

Well worth a visit. Busy and quite noisy inside, waiters stretched but pleasant. When the food arrives you forgive these minor negatives - it's very good, mostly-traditional and seasonal Austrian food.

On our first visit my wife had an excellent asparagus and mozzarella risotto while I had a good gulasch with dumpling. Our second visit saw us order chanterelles in a creamy sauce with dumpling and Wiener schnitzel. The chanterelles were very well received and my Schnitzel was a good effort (I've had better).

Well worth a trip, and if you have any German, ask for the menu in German - the food descriptions are much better in the original!

Reviewed 23 June 2014

We enjoyed this immensely. The food came quickly with tremendous service. A good wine list and as we thought it might rain we went inside which had real atmosphere.

The food was excellent. Salads to start which were delicious. A pork dish with grilled cheese and tasty fried bits with salad was lovely. What sounded like plain chicken was not at all plain and very tasty. The pudding was the piece de la resistance. It was like a souffle with hot plum jam in it served on a bed of creme anglais. Absolutely delicious. Excellent wine from a limited list at a decent price.

This is mezzanine food which which we like a lot when travelling. Not cheap, but not expensive. Food made by people who like food and season it well. Food served by people who care whether you enjoy it or not. Highly recommend this. With coffee and pudding Euros 88. Great value.

Reviewed 3 June 2014

We came across this restaurant on our wonderings and as it looked busy thought it was probably a good choice. We were right. We had to wait about 15 minutes for a seat and then share a table but that was OK. Atmosphere was great. Food fantastic and great service too.