“One of the best rooms of our trip!”
Review of Stadtalm

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Salzburg
Stadtalm
Reviewed 30 August 2013

My husband and I stayed here for 2 nights during a 2 week Europe vacation. We booked early and were able to get the private room. They only have one room that has only 2 beds in it. I realize that is not the typical hostel experience, but for couples, it was definitely worth it! Our room had the picture perfect view of all of Salzburg....and the restaurant outside was in the most perfect setting for breakfast or a late-night drink when you get back at night. The only complaint was that the restaurant had a lot of bees during the day (not really in the morning or at night), which was distracting while eating! Getting up to the hostel could be tricky, but luckily they have the elevator that you can pay a euro or two and it will whisk you right up. however, we left early in the morning before the elevator was operating, so we had to go down with our luggage...but it was actually not a big deal at all, there are stairs. And if you are thinking of going to the fortress, it is an easy walk from the hostel. Sharing the bathroom and the shower was never a big deal. There is a shower room for boys and one for girls, each with 2 shower stalls each. There was never anyone in there when we went. If you are traveling with someone else, you could both go together and lock the door even so no one else came in. For the price, only 43 euro/night, and getting the private room, it was the best deal of the trip. And how cool is it to literally stay INSIDE a fortress from the 1400s....would go back!! But only if I got the private room!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Stadtalm

Reviewed 29 July 2013

We booked this hostel through email, specifying we wanted two beds for two nights. We got this confirmed. When we arrived we were ignored for 30 minutes. We didn't know where to go or what to do so we just stood there and nobody talked to us. Finally someone talked to us and sat us down. The owner/manager/whatever called Olaf (at least that is what it said on the receipt) growled at us to fill something out and walked away again. When he came back after 10 minutes he told us that we could only stay for one night. We told him we booked for two nights but he just didn't care. He was the most rude person we have EVER met. We have been traveling the world for 12 months and this is the worst we have been ever treated. Would it kill you to treat your GUESTS with some respect? We weren't the only ones that were treated like this. I would never come back here. The beds were good, the breakfast was good, the view is great and the food looked tasty but because of the way they treat their guests I would recommend you to find a different place to sleep and spend your money.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Ohyouaretoast
Reviewed 26 July 2013 via mobile

Despite booking a room at the Stadtalm a month in advance, when I arrived, I did not have a room and was forced to sleep in the dining room, meaning I needed to be up before 9 so that they could serve breakfast. Initially, I was told I would receive a reduced rate, but when I did change and get an actual room, I was basically charged full price and was told "This is not the woods". I was not given back my ID nor allowed into a room until I paid full price and the manager on duty was HORRIBLE. The next morning, when I went to check out, there was no owner or manager on site. They also only give you one coffee for breakfast. I would avoid this place at all costs!

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank JVman89
Reviewed 1 June 2013

It might be a tough hike to get to the top of Monchsberg with heavy luggage, but the view from the Stadtalm Naturfreundehaus is something that not even a 5-star hotel can match. Even if you aren't a guest, it's worthwhile to visit just for the great photo opportunity.

At €19 it's very budget-friendly to backpackers, and spacious lockers are available in the rooms for no extra charge. Breakfast was included, and while I didn't expect much, the bread and cold cuts were certainly more generous than what I'd been offered at other hostels.

I'm not sure if it's always like this, but the other guests seem to be mostly boisterous Germans and Austrians who will happily invite you for a beer... or two... or more!

No internet available, but everything else more than made up for that.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 March 2013

We stumbled into the restauraunt portion of this hostel-hotel during a recent walk around Salzburg. It is a funky and cozy little place with an amazing view out over Salzburg. Meals ordered cost between 7 Euro and 13 Euro, were well presented, traditional Austrian food, really flavorfull and all around delicious. Each of the three of us ordered a different plate and all three meals were some f the best we´ve had so far in Salzburg. This place is a great little hole in the wall and gem, perfect spot for lunch after hiking the park-castle. The guy running the place was also a total character which added to the fun and quirk of it.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 November 2012

This small hostel had an amazing view and a lot of charm. The breakfast was simple, fresh, and delicious. We really enjoyed an excellent view of Salzburg sitting in the corner breakfast nook. The rooms/bathroom facilities are small but definitely adequate for those looking to just sleep and clean up. I think it's a good value for Salzburg. The owner-operator was friendly and professional. They also operate a restaurant out of the building and I would say they are generally very busy. The area around the hostel is nature and I believe it is's part of a park. It's a beautiful 15 minute hike over to the fortress. We were a little bit challenged figuring out how to get up to the hostel by walking up. There is no car access and a lot of steps (approximately 280 is what I counted). There is also elevator access (2-3 Euros from the museum) and I believe it can only be used during museum business hours. I would strongly recommend arriving early, have a map, understand how to reach the hostel, and be prepared to hike.

Room Tip: There are only a few rooms. We stayed in number 7. There are probably rooms that have a better vie...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 October 2012

Stayed at this hostel for 3 nights recently, and it was awesome!!! Absolutely love the view from the hostel and it's definitely the most value-for-money hostel I've ever stayed in...and I've stayed in a good share of them! Let's start with the location. Ok, I think the location is both its strength and its weakness. It's located almost as an annex to part of the original fortress up on the hill. It's around 5 min walk from the Museum of Modern Art, and is located in a national park. What this means is that vehicular access is limited, and this wasn't made known clear enough. On the day of my arrival in the evening, the lift from the street level up to the Museum of Modern Art was operating, so I took the lift, costs 2 Euro. The direction to the hostel was very very unclear so it was like wandering through the wilderness to find the hostel, but once reached, i was totally mesmerized by the view of the entire old town and the glowing castles right outside of my room window, The room itself was cozy. There are only a few rooms, each with 2 to 6 beds, so it's a very cozy setting. I was even more amazed when the breakfast they serve the following day was buffet style, granted no hot dishes, but it's all you can eat bread, ham and cheese, jams, juices, and they even serve hot coffee! All for an extremely impressive price of 19 Euro per night! I walked down the hill that day. That same evening, when i tried to take the lift up, I realized the lift was closed at 7pm, so in pitch dark, i had to find my way up the mountain. That wasn't fun. SO - main point - the location of the hostel is both its main selling point but also its weakness. But once you get a hang of it, I'm sure you'll agree with me that it's probably one of the best hostels you'll ever stay in. Amazing view & value.

(service wise, i thought it was quite good. the caretaker that was around when i reached in the evening couldn't help me with payment so told me to just pay the owner in the day when i have the time. i didn't have time on the first day so didn't pay until the second day and they were quite fine with that.)

Room Tip: get the room with the castle view!
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo