“Central hotel with high standard rooms, with gym/sauna”

Sheraton Grand Salzburg
Ranked #11 of 132 Hotels in Salzburg
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Central hotel with high standard rooms, with gym/sauna”
Reviewed 2 February 2014

Only stayed for a weekend, hence not able to give a comprehensive review.

I chose this hotel in order to be sure of a high standard room, but also to have gym facilities, which the other hotels did not seem to offer.

The room was on the second floor and was actually next door to the gym and sauna area. The room has air conditioning.

The hotel has an underground parking area which has a hotel entrance to the lift. However the parking fee is not inclusive with the room and is paid on check out.

The room bed was large and comfortable, bathroom had 'wet room' shower with glass surround, a bath and a wide sink/table area with supplied toiletries, soft towels and bathrobes.

Television was large with a handful of English-language stations; and there was a filter coffee maker which I think could be used to make tea as well. There was powdered milk supplied but I imagine real milk could be supplied on request.
There was an ice machine in the corridor (if I recall correctly!) which is handy in hot weather - but not this weekend.

There was also free room Wifi.

Another aspect not inclusive was the breakfast - I was surprised that a "basic" breakfast was not inclusive with the room, however there were plenty of coffee shops within walking distance.

The gym provides a couple of running machines and cycle machines, a cross-trainer, a few weights, unfortunately no rowing machine which is my preferred 'quick workout', plus copious clean towels. Fruit and cold water are provided.
There is a massage facility which can be booked but this was not sampled.
We did use the sauna which worked well and left a pleasant glow ! There are lockers, changing rooms and showers also.

The hotel is close to the Mirabell Gardens, and only a few minutes walk to cross the bridge to the Altstadt.

We did not sample the breakfast or other dining there so cannot comment on the food standard.

This is not a budget hotel but if you are travelling from afar and want to be sure of a good standard of room, then this is a good choice, and I'm sure its other facilities are good as well.

Room Tip: Second floor for convenient gym/sauna !
2 Thank mikewhit
SheratonSalzburg, General Manager at Sheraton Grand Salzburg, responded to this review, 14 February 2014
Dear mikewhit,

I would like to thank you very much for taking the time to share with us and other travelers your latest experience at the Sheraton Salzburg Hotel. I am glad to read that enjoyed your room, the fitness area and the sauna.
It is our intention to make our guest’s stay as comfortable as possible and we always work on the quality of our house. Hopefully you will take into consideration to visit us again soon. I remain with my best regards
Herbert Mosbruck

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Recife, PE
Reviewed 1 February 2014

We choose this hotel because it is close to the Salzburg hauptbahnhof (main train station) and stayed for olnly one night.
It is still walking distance from old town.
The room is excellent, huge bathroom, very silence, confortable bed and linens.
The breakfast is excellent with a wide variety of food and juices, but when we booked online it was not included - so we payed a extra for the it....

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
SheratonSalzburg, General Manager at Sheraton Grand Salzburg, responded to this review, 4 February 2014
Dear Piolho,

I am happy to read your nice comment here at TripAdvisor. Thank you for your positive words about our rooms, furthermore I am glad that you enjoyed the variety at our “Sheraton Best Breakfast”. I am looking forward to welcome you back here at the Sheraton Salzburg Hotel. I remain with my best regards
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 31 January 2014

My boyfriend and I had a very nice stay at the Sheraton. Service was great, and their in-house pianist a joy to listen to :)

The styles of the room are a bit dated, but ultimately still very comfortable and enjoyable. Their gym is also really old-school, but functional with cardio equipment and weights.

The hotel is about a 15-20 minute's walk and across the river from the old city & fortress. It rained while we were there, but the hotel was great and lent us umbrellas for the day.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear aiyataibao,

I would like to thank you very much for taking the time to write this review. It is only with your help and suggestions that we are able to maintain our commitment of excellent comfort and outstanding service. We would be delighted to welcome you back to the Sheraton Salzburg Hotel in the near future.
I remain with my best regards
Scheveningen, The Netherlands
Reviewed 22 January 2014

The last couple of years I've attended a congress that took place in the Sheraton Congress Center and stay in the Sheraton Hotel. The location is a nice walk from The Altstadt of Salzburg. All staff is very helpfull and friendly, the breakfast is outstanding and the rooms are spacious and clean. Definitely the place to stay when in Salzburg.

Room Tip: Clublevel at the park side is great.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
New York City
Reviewed 16 January 2014

After spending a few nights at a Hilton in Vienna where the service was less-than, the warm reception we received at the Sheraton Salzburg was a breath of fresh air. Everyone here -- reception, bartender, cleaning staff--was exceptionally friendly and helpful. I have SPG Gold Status and we were offered an upgrade to an Executive Floor upon arrival. Given the somewhat dated nature of the lobby area, we were pleasantly surprised to find an ultra-modern room (complete with a rain shower, flat-screen TV in the bathroom, and coffee machine). Our view overlooked the Mirabell Gardens. The bed was absolutely enormous.

The gym facilities were a bit small and could have used more free weights and a weight bench, but sufficient if cardio is mainly your thing.

The hotel is a short (10 minute) scenic walk to the old city, and about a 10-15 minute walk from the train station (Hauptbahnhof).

Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
SheratonSalzburg, General Manager at Sheraton Grand Salzburg, responded to this review, 20 January 2014
Dear AndrewintheHK,

I would like to thank you very much for your positive review here at TripAdvisor. It is a pleasure to read that you have enjoyed your stay at the Sheraton Salzburg Hotel and that you were satisfied with the service of our staff. I am proud to work with such a great team and we will always try to even exceed our guest´s expectations.
Looking forward to see you back soon in Salzburg I remain with my best regards
PeterK987
Reviewed 14 January 2014

I would definitely recommend this hotel if you're visiting Salzburg. It's a short walk through the gardens to reach the bridges to the old town and you are closer to some excellent bars and restaurants on the newer side of the city.

The stand out with this property are some of the truly amazing suites they have available as upgrades and their exception lounge. From what I've seen even a standard room is definitely a step above any SPG property I've stayed at and far above the average US Sheraton.

I would recommend considering paying extra for club access if you can. The lounge area is relaxing and gorgeous and the hotel offerings an excellent selection of beer, wine, sparkling, and alcohol in addition so numerous options for snacks and breakfast. The amount you save on drinks in the evening and morning breakfast more than justifies the cost.

If you happen to have status with SPG then it's a total no brainer to stay here and enjoy this fantastic club after an evening of work or touring the city. We were here as tourists and it was excellent to retire to the lounge every evening and unwind and relax after heading all over the city. I can't even tell you about the upgrade we received as well and very much appreciated as it isn't fair to the hotel to set expectations so high, but it was amazing.

We wish we had skipped Vienna and stayed longer in Salzburg for the New Year instead. This hotel was so fabulous I've added Salzburg to my list of repeat places to visit in no small part just for the opportunity to visit this hotel again.

Room Tip: If you have the ability to request an upgrade they have some truly amazing suites available at this...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PeterK987
SheratonSalzburg, General Manager at Sheraton Grand Salzburg, responded to this review, 17 January 2014
Dear PeterK987,

I would like to thank you very much for your review here at TripAdvisor. It is a pleasure to read your positive words about the Sheraton Salzburg Hotel.
I am very glad that your stay was to your satisfaction and furthermore that our Club Lounge left such a great mark. We tried to create an entire level of executive comfort and are pleased that you could enjoy all the advantages.It is our intention to make our guest’s stay as comfortable as possible and we always work on the quality of our house. Hopefully you will take into consideration to visit us again soon; I am looking forward to welcome you back here at the Sheraton Salzburg Hotel. I remain with my best regards
Northern California
Reviewed 4 January 2014

We spent a lovely couple of days in Salzburg and truly enjoyed the location and amenities of the Sheraton. Step outside and stroll either side of the river, for shopping, sightseeing, and dining. We were upgraded to a lovely and modern 2 room suite, with fantastic, high-tech bathrooms. The club was outstanding - beautiful city and sunset views from the terrace, generous and interesting food selections. Just an excellent base away from all the tourist hoardes.

Room Tip: Street-side rooms a little noisy.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
SheratonSalzburg, General Manager at Sheraton Grand Salzburg, responded to this review, 9 January 2014
Dear al9249,

Thank you very much for your nice words about the Sheraton Salzburg Hotel. It is always a pleasure to read such positive reviews. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and that our location was to your complete satisfaction. Looking forward to welcome you back soon I remain with my best regards