“Good location, but...”

Ranked #119 of 132 Hotels in Salzburg
St Peter Port, United Kingdom
“Good location, but...”
Reviewed 25 August 2012

Firstly, the positives. The Lechner is conveniently located at 11, Rainerstrasse, which is fairly near to the train station and also a short walk from the Mirabelle park. The hotel is also relatively inexpensive and it does provide a basic, yet decent Continental breakfast. However, the hotel is situated very closely to the train line. During our stay, it was very warm; the hotel does not have air con and it was necessary to open the windows to get some air. As a result, the thundering noise of countless trains going by kept me up an awful lot on more than one night. The other problem was the bathroom. Although our room had an ensuite bathroom, it was more of a glorified cupboard. The shower kept on flooding the whole room as the shower basin was very shallow.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Chris G

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 May 2012

I stayed in the Lechner pension for three nights in May 2012 and was very badly bitten by bed bugs. I had over 100 bites on my hands, arms, legs, neck, back, and feet. The itching was unbearable and the bites gave me fatigue and fever. Worst of all, the management and staff couldn't care less about the problem, and didn't apologise.
On the afternoon after my first night, I started to notice bites coming out. By the time I got back to the hotel there were more of them, but I couldn't tell anyone because the hotel reception shuts down at 6pm. When I spoke to the receptionist the next day, she was surly and unapologetic, but they agreed to clean my room properly. During that day, more and more bites started coming out. They were so itchy it was unbearable. I went back to the hotel in the afternoon and told them I wanted to check out and that I was not willing to pay for a bug infested room. Again, there was no apology. I asked to speak to the manager who was on the phone to the receptionist. He refused to speak to me three times. He was very reluctant to compensate me for the inconvenience and discomfort. Initially he said I could have one night out of three free (even though I had been bitten on two consecutive nights.) Then he said I could check out straight away if I paid 40 euros to cover the cost of breakfast for two days. I refused, on the grounds that only 5 star hotels charge 20 euros per day for breakfast (and the Lechner breakfast was very basic). After around 20 minutes of me complaining, the manager reluctantly agreed to waive the fee for the nights I had been bitten and to move me to another room. The room looked clean, but I asked the receptionist to have the carpet vacuumed again anyway. However, when I returned that night, I found bed bugs in the carpet. (I have videos of them on my camera). There was no-one to tell because the reception desk closed at 6pm every day and the phone number given to the guests for emergencies is out of order. By this stage, I had bites all over and was extremely uncomfortable, but I had no choice but to stay in the room. Needless to say, I got bitten again that night. In the morning, I showed the bites on my arms to the receptionist—a different lady, who was friendly, and, for the first time, apologised. If I’d had time to contest the bill for the final night, I would have, but I was leaving and didn’t have time. Since then, I’ve had four days of serious discomfort and fatigue.
I understand that bed bugs can strike at even the most esteemed establishment, but the way that the hotel Lechner dealt with the situation was appalling. They really didn’t seem to care, and would not have done anything to compensate had I not forced them to. Even if they sort the bed bugs out, I would never stay here again because the customer service was dreadful.
I should also say that the hotel was locked up when I arrived. The reception closes at 6pm, but the hotel had not told me this. So I was locked out and had no idea how to get in. I rang the number displayed on the door for guests but it was out of order. It was only because there happened to be another couple arriving 20 minutes after me that I found out we were supposed to go in the back entrance and that our keys had been left for us. This was annoying because I had e-mailed the hotel in advance to tell them I would be arriving late, but they did not respond.

Room Tip: Since both of my rooms, which were on different floors, had bed bugs, I assume the whole place is in...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Maria R

Travellers are raving about these Salzburg hotels

Chennai (Madras), India
Reviewed 28 April 2011

i just happened by chance to stay at this hotel after a terrible experience in a much hyped hotel outside the city.it was a good offer and was not dissappointed.the lady at the reception was willing to help about the food to go around the tours everything.the breakfast was very good and the cofee was great.they had free internet access at the reception which was aadded perk.in all it was a good choice

Stayed April 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank gayathri67
Palma de Mallorca, Spain
Reviewed 23 January 2011

DISGUSTING!!! I would never reccomend it! Our room was big enough, but the furniture very old, the mattress very uncomfortable, the prefabricated bathroom was tiny..but the main thing is that it was SMELLY. The smell of tobacco is EVERYWHERE!

DON´T GO THERE!!
We were also in Hotel Belmondo, it´s in the same area, same price and a good one! :)

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank serea
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 6 December 2010

The room was noisy, stinky, small and unbearable. It is located very near to the train Station and right on the main street, the windows and walls are thin so it is terribly noisy. The rooms smell so bad that one can nearly not breathe. The furniture, bed covers and the rug in the rooms are dirty and old.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled solo
UK
Reviewed 20 August 2010

We spent one night in the Pension in a family room. Our double bed was broad, but not long. Anyone over 6' would have struggled to fit in length ways. Our boys were on an acceptable sofa bed. The Pension is old, there is some character inside (but not out!), and our bathroom was dated but functional. The staff are excellent.

The Pension is on a main street, and close to the railway station, hence with the window open, there was some street noise. However, it is ideally located.

Parking was limited. There is currently a large building site behind the Pension, and I'm not sure where the parking will be when this is finished. We parked our car on a side road to the building site which was not in use because we stayed over a Saturday night.

Austria has clearly not yet moved into the 21st century - you can still smoke inside a restaurant and the shops shut at 1300 hrs on Sat, with virtually no opening on Sun.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
Melbourne
Reviewed 15 October 2007

This small, centrally located hotel is situated on a busy main road ten minutes walk from the main railway station. Request a room on the first floor at the back otherwise noise from the tram buses, the trains and continual traffic stopping just near the front door will keep you awake, even through double-glazed windows. The bathroom was small and pre-fabricated and there is no lift. The breakfasts were great and the hotel very clean.

• Liked — The breakfast
  • Disliked — The noise
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled as a couple