“Do Not Stay Here”
Review of Pension Lechner

Pension Lechner
Ranked #120 of 132 Hotels in Salzburg
Reviewed 12 June 2013

I booked four nights as this hotel is reasonably close to the station. We lasted only one and then found a cleaner, nicer, friendlier hotel with a lift closer to the station in the same price range and in a quiet street. All the rooms at this hotel are up stairs and the walls are very thin. Everything in the room was old and tired. The bathroom was some sort of portable add-in. Just after we got into the room one of the beds collapsed and in trying to put the bed back together we discovered a very large (aprox 30cm x 40cm) blood stain on the mattress. The bed was not capable of fixing that night. The staff finally moved us to another room. We were not game to look at the cleanliness of the new room. We left in the morning. They wanted us to pay for the four nights but in the end I only paid for the one.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank 53Paul53

Reviewed 18 December 2012

It is a really nice hotel in a very old building. We had a room for 2. Room had everything we needed and in an antique style. There were bed, table, chairs, mirror, wardrobe. Also there were electric stove and small refrigerator. Breakfasts were good. And everyday services were perfect. But there was no Internet in rooms. But there is a computer in the 1st floor.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ae_idance
Reviewed 12 October 2012

CLEAN BEDS and Towels , thats all what matters when visiting a place , plus convenience of location and welcome, very handy from the Railway Station and Bus station, with in walking distance of the main centre and 10 mins from Mirabelle garden, the hotel was clean and a good breakfast Continental type was always there in the morning, fresh fruit, meats, cheeses, bread, toast, cakes, cereals and plenty of coffee , the staff were all very pleasant, the downside is no one about after 6 pm, so let them know your arrival time and the key will be in the bar next door no lift, so 3 floors, and quite near the railway line so if you need peace shut the window, tv in room with bottle water, lacking tea/coffee making facilities so you from UK take your kettles , they will also keep your suitcases on last day till teatime , the bar next door is a separate business and very pleasant they have hot meals and drinks of all types hot or cold, but not cheap, if you go towards the railway station there are plenty of little snackbars around and a Burger King and Mc Donalds, PLUS theres a C/A s and a shopping centre called forum 1 but the best bit is the new station as a big Spar Supermarket in open 7 days a week 8am till 10pm so you can stock up on bits and pieces, enjoy

Room Tip: front are quieter
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank roaminfred
Reviewed 25 August 2012

Firstly, the positives. The Lechner is conveniently located at 11, Rainerstrasse, which is fairly near to the train station and also a short walk from the Mirabelle park. The hotel is also relatively inexpensive and it does provide a basic, yet decent Continental breakfast. However, the hotel is situated very closely to the train line. During our stay, it was very warm; the hotel does not have air con and it was necessary to open the windows to get some air. As a result, the thundering noise of countless trains going by kept me up an awful lot on more than one night. The other problem was the bathroom. Although our room had an ensuite bathroom, it was more of a glorified cupboard. The shower kept on flooding the whole room as the shower basin was very shallow.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Chris G
Reviewed 21 May 2012

I stayed in the Lechner pension for three nights in May 2012 and was very badly bitten by bed bugs. I had over 100 bites on my hands, arms, legs, neck, back, and feet. The itching was unbearable and the bites gave me fatigue and fever. Worst of all, the management and staff couldn't care less about the problem, and didn't apologise.
On the afternoon after my first night, I started to notice bites coming out. By the time I got back to the hotel there were more of them, but I couldn't tell anyone because the hotel reception shuts down at 6pm. When I spoke to the receptionist the next day, she was surly and unapologetic, but they agreed to clean my room properly. During that day, more and more bites started coming out. They were so itchy it was unbearable. I went back to the hotel in the afternoon and told them I wanted to check out and that I was not willing to pay for a bug infested room. Again, there was no apology. I asked to speak to the manager who was on the phone to the receptionist. He refused to speak to me three times. He was very reluctant to compensate me for the inconvenience and discomfort. Initially he said I could have one night out of three free (even though I had been bitten on two consecutive nights.) Then he said I could check out straight away if I paid 40 euros to cover the cost of breakfast for two days. I refused, on the grounds that only 5 star hotels charge 20 euros per day for breakfast (and the Lechner breakfast was very basic). After around 20 minutes of me complaining, the manager reluctantly agreed to waive the fee for the nights I had been bitten and to move me to another room. The room looked clean, but I asked the receptionist to have the carpet vacuumed again anyway. However, when I returned that night, I found bed bugs in the carpet. (I have videos of them on my camera). There was no-one to tell because the reception desk closed at 6pm every day and the phone number given to the guests for emergencies is out of order. By this stage, I had bites all over and was extremely uncomfortable, but I had no choice but to stay in the room. Needless to say, I got bitten again that night. In the morning, I showed the bites on my arms to the receptionist—a different lady, who was friendly, and, for the first time, apologised. If I’d had time to contest the bill for the final night, I would have, but I was leaving and didn’t have time. Since then, I’ve had four days of serious discomfort and fatigue.
I understand that bed bugs can strike at even the most esteemed establishment, but the way that the hotel Lechner dealt with the situation was appalling. They really didn’t seem to care, and would not have done anything to compensate had I not forced them to. Even if they sort the bed bugs out, I would never stay here again because the customer service was dreadful.
I should also say that the hotel was locked up when I arrived. The reception closes at 6pm, but the hotel had not told me this. So I was locked out and had no idea how to get in. I rang the number displayed on the door for guests but it was out of order. It was only because there happened to be another couple arriving 20 minutes after me that I found out we were supposed to go in the back entrance and that our keys had been left for us. This was annoying because I had e-mailed the hotel in advance to tell them I would be arriving late, but they did not respond.

Room Tip: Since both of my rooms, which were on different floors, had bed bugs, I assume the whole place is in...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Maria R
Reviewed 28 April 2011

i just happened by chance to stay at this hotel after a terrible experience in a much hyped hotel outside the city.it was a good offer and was not dissappointed.the lady at the reception was willing to help about the food to go around the tours everything.the breakfast was very good and the cofee was great.they had free internet access at the reception which was aadded perk.in all it was a good choice

Stayed: April 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank gayathri67
Reviewed 23 January 2011

DISGUSTING!!! I would never reccomend it! Our room was big enough, but the furniture very old, the mattress very uncomfortable, the prefabricated bathroom was tiny..but the main thing is that it was SMELLY. The smell of tobacco is EVERYWHERE!

DON´T GO THERE!!
We were also in Hotel Belmondo, it´s in the same area, same price and a good one! :)

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple