“Forceful pushing re Gala Dinner & Front Desk Service Poor.”

Crowne Plaza Hotel Salzburg - The Pitter
Ranked #16 of 132 Hotels in Salzburg
Surrey
“Forceful pushing re Gala Dinner & Front Desk Service Poor.”
Reviewed 8 January 2010

No one knew what was going on re trips, events at any given time over the Xmas period at the Front Desk. On numerous occasions I was given incorrect information which caused much confusion and inconvenience. The staff are young and need better training as to what is actually available for their guests to visit.

I was asked on at least five occasions asked did I want to attend a Gala Dinner, I declined on each occasion. I was actually told by a lady that I could not book for the week unless I attended the Gala Dinner at 95 Euros each!!!!

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with friends
2 Thank SANTACLAUS1

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (179)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Barcelona, Spain
Reviewed 7 January 2010

I am a Priority Club Platinum member, and stayed at this hotel in Dec 2009. Front desk staff are ambivalent, and have no idea what a Priority Club Platinum member is or what additional perks or amenities they can offer to priority club members. I received incorrect directions, wrong bus and train info from various front desk staff everuday I was there. Room decor is outdated and bathroom toiletries inadequate. The bathroom in my particular room was tiny and not cleaned very well. Beds are old and rooms generally stuffy. Old tube style TV in every room, but no free internet, the hotel is not in a quiet location, my room was overlooking the street and car noise was constant all night long. It is walking distance to the main train station and the attractions downtown, although the bus service is more convenient (if you can get the proper information from the front desk staff) . The slosest bus stop is about 2 blocks away. Mirabel Palace about 5 blocks away. Breakfast food is the same everyday, please change it up a bit! . Breakfast service staff is not very friendly. Unless, you want the points, I´d recommend to try a hotel closer to the main downtown area with much better customer service.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank BarcelonaRick
Garden
Reviewed 6 January 2010

We stayed one night in Salzburg, it was Christmas day - and they made space for us in the Pitter keller - excellent food, good beer selection and excellent service. The room was spacious with four beds, no noise during the night, fantastic breakfast the selection is so enormous you could eat the whole day to cover everything available. We can recommend this hotel to anyone with and without children. Close to altstadt and train station. we walked everywhere with our 4 and 6 year old kids.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank sonnenaufgang
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 5 January 2010

First we encountered very unfriendly staff. We asked for a good restaurant for dinner and he sent us on a wiled goose chase, we never found that restaurant. Our room was lovely, very clean, comfortable bed. I did not expect synthetic pillows and blankets. When I asked for down I was told they have none. There is no free internet in the room. The restaurant Pitter Keeler is very nice, pretty good food, when you can get in to it. We were only able to eat there 1 night. The rest of the time they close it for partied, without any advanced notice. However there is a bar at the street lever where you can get the same food. We tried ones, it is a smoking bar and even when empty you can't breath. Bar was totally empty and we wanted to sit in the booth, but waitress pointed to the bar stools and demanded we sit only there. When I asked where to hang the coat she pretended not to understand and kept pointing to the bar stool. So we left. Thank god for the Christmas markets where you can eat wonderful sausages and pork shanks. Thus we were left with way below good impression of the Crown Plaza hotel. Must mention one fact though, one day I forgot my diamond rings on the night stand. About and hour later when I discovered it my heart sank. There was my engagement and wedding band as well as an antic ring my husband gave me. I was sure that it would be stolen by the cleaning crew and I will never be able to find them. My husband ran back to the hotel hoping that room was not cleaned yet. However the room was cleaned and rings was on the night stand. I was pleasantly shocked. In America I am sure outcome would be different.

1 Thank Regina Z
London
Reviewed 3 January 2010

The hotel was perfect for our short 3 night stay, the beds were very comfy, staff on the front desk helpful, although didnt really offer any advice on what to 'see' or 'do' in Salzburg, or provide any info on the hotels facilities. We thought the cleaning staff were lacking, our tea and coffees wernt refilled daily, a complimentry water bottle from the hotel sat in the room empty for 2 days before being cleaned away, dirty cups left, and the bins in the room were not emptied, although they were full. As we got the hotel at a cheap rate from last minute, we thought it was good value for money over the christmas period. Although looking at their usual prices, i dont think i would be prepared to pay so much for such a stock standard chain hotel. We also ate in the resturant-pitter keller, and found it to be good value, and the food a very good standard. Overall a nice hotel, good location, and perfect if you can get a cheap deal!

1 Thank kellie1982
york
Reviewed 26 December 2009

If you like cooked food served cold then you'll be fine here.The ''hot '' buffet breakfast is only luke warm and as the plates are not heated by the time you get back to your table it is well and truly cold.Our room service meal of shnitzel was completely cold as well.
When the temperatture of the food was questioned the breakfast supervisor,(a petite oriental woman who spoke excellent english) picked out a piece of bacon from the bacon tray ...felt it....then... can you believe it....put the slice of bacon back in.!!
Needless to say would not stay here again.One evening when we had dined in the Pitter Keller,we had a very brusque and surly waiter which realy didn't help either.Only good point was a very pleasant and cheerful barman in the bar called Harry.
The hotel is good 15/20 mins walk into the old town.And for the price we paid we could have saved 40 euro a night by staying at the Marriott Rennaisance which ...ok... is a further 10 mins from the old town but by the bus and train station so if you got a bus in to town or even a taxi bothways you would still save a lot and of course you would have the famous 'marriot 'bed to sleep in and not making do with cheap pillows filled with lumpy bits of foam which they have at the crowne plaza...Also their breakfasts are always good AND hot.
Salzberg is itself a fabulous place to be around christmas time and will definately be going back.

1 Thank patncath
Scouser with a passport!
Reviewed 25 December 2009

Hi
Stayed for three nights in December for a surprise 50th birthday treat. Hotel is very comfy, food and beer in the Pitter beerkeller is good. All staff very friendly! One little warning, the free bottle of red wine is just for the first night...you pay for the others bottles.

Right...Salzburg...lovely town, catherdrals/churchs/castle on the hill/river/Christmas was everywhere!!...I wondered what they did the rest of the year! My wife booked a 'Sound of Music tour' for me! Just what I really wanted!!!!! But surprisingly it was ok and booked with Bill's tours not Panorama who seemed to have taken over! Peter our guide was very nice and very chatty!
Saw all the usual tourist stuff on the tour, the Salzammergut lake district, lovely scenery and snow everywhere. If your going Christmas time then St. Gilpen is really worth the visit...fairytail stuff!

Nightlife is low key in Salzburg but we found a little bar where the locals seemed to gather, call Treff, tucked away near the Salzburg museum. Saw a Oompah band and some weird Lederhosen clad fellas doing a nativity play and singing...different for inside a pub!!

The locals drink the Gluhwein by the mug full in 'winterlounges' outside bars where you stand up, about 4.5 euro but bring the mug back and you get 2 euro return. The castle is well worth a visit and if you are fit walk up the steps and save 14 euros for two. The scenery changes as you climb and it does not take long.

All in all I would recommend the Plaza and Salzburg, Prague is prettier but Salzberg has some lovely surrounding scenery and the people are really friendly! Even the taxi driver at the airport told me to get the bus No2 which stops outside the Crowne Plaza, this saved me 10 euro and lost him a fare!!

Go in winter or if not I'm told the best month is September...not as much rain!

5 Thank Globeblogger