“Decent Hotel - Poor Management?”

Crowne Plaza Hotel Salzburg - The Pitter
Ranked #15 of 132 Hotels in Salzburg
San Jose, California
“Decent Hotel - Poor Management?”
Reviewed 7 July 2010

I stayed three nights at The Pitter for sightseeing purposes. I work for a French company and, basically, travel for a living. I think that I am pretty reasonable and knowledgeable about what I can expect from hotels: domestic and international.

Right from the start, the hotel screwed up my reward reservation. They booked the wrong nights for me and told me when I checked in that I should have been there the previous night. I showed the girl at the counter my confirmation printout and she said, 'Oh, I guess someone entered the dates wrong in the system.' So, no big deal...or so I thought.

The room was...interesting. It had a small but efficient bathroom, a decent sized main room, and then a separate room with a dining table and some chairs that was totally useless; sadly, a waste of significant space. The furnishing were fine, but if I was being picky, I would say that the room was a bit 'tired', as others have expressed, and could do with a thorough refurbish. It's an older hotel, though; you should expect some personality.

I did once have dinner downstairs in the old bar. The meal was nothing special, but had good flavor and I enjoyed it. Service was OK. I also made use of the fitness area. For Europe, it is not bad - enough space and enough equipment for a short workout (a universal weight machine and some cardio equipment.).

My main issue came at checkout. I used the hotel's wireless internet access (very expensive) to check my Priority Club points balance before leaving and saw that I'd been charged 150,000 points for my 3 nights at the hotel. Twice as many as I should have been charged. I mentioned this when checking out to the young woman assisting me. She said, "it sounds like a mistake", but made no attempt to correct it - I doubt that she knew how.

As soon as I returned to the States, I contracted Priority Club about this points issue and have continued to remind them of it. For two weeks they have been unable to get a response from the management at the Crowne Plaza Salzburg. I have also tried with no success. Very disappointing.

So, my overall review is that the hotel itself, is fine - nothing special. The service was average and the management has been, in my case, completely negligent.

I am a platinum member with Intercontinental Hotel Group, but the next time I find myself near Salzburg, I'll likely be staying somewhere else.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (178)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
world
Reviewed 26 June 2010

I stayed in the Pitter for 3 nights. Checking in and out were very slow. The staff were not very friendly at all. On a plus side the room was spotless and the bathroom was lovely and big, the bed was comfortable and the air conditioning worked perfectly. I did not use the bar or the breakfast in the morning, it was very overpriced. Location is great, a 5 minute stroll to the Mirabell Gardens.

I was very surprised when I checked out the girl said to me that I had some outstanding costs. I had to pay the city tax on my stay, €3.50, when I said that other hotels usually have this included in the bill, she just laughed and said I had to pay, I asked for something in writing and she had nothing to give me. I did not get a receipt. I have never come across this before.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled solo
Mumbai
Reviewed 24 June 2010

I had just here arrived from Vienna by train along with a business associate. We stayed here in separate rooms & had a mixed bag of experience. You cannot expect the views from the room what Salzburg is famous for. The breakfast at the restaurant was good.

The checkin & checkout were both slow since there is only one staff person at the counter. At the time of checkin i gave my Lufthansa Miles & More frequent flyer membership card to be endorsed so that i get the reward points upon my stay at this hotel. The staff at the time of checkout confirmed to me that my Lufthansa card details have been noted. It's now been almost a year & i still haven't got credit of my 2 nights stay there.

I had informed the staff that i need to checkout early in the morning to catch my train, hence will not be able to have breakfast in the restaurant & instead requested if they can provide me vegetarian packed breakfast. However to my surprise i did not get the packed breakfast at checkout time. When i insisted, then they provided me the same. To my surprise it was not fully vegetarian & the great thing was that the quantity was huge & it took me 2 hours to finish.

The hotel is under staffed & if you need anything from house keeping then you need to come down to the reception & collect it. The following items are provided complimentary but on request: Tooth paste & Tooth brush, Shaving cream & razor, Hair comb.

I got a complimentary drink coupon & used it in the bar. The service in the bar was good & a nice attitude.

The guest rooms got renovated in 2008. If you need a room with a bath tub then you need to spacify at checkin time which may be provided subject to availibility. There is no Whirlpool / Jacuzzi. The free Internet usage at the reception area does not work most of the time or the staff supposed to man the same is not available.

There is a Shoe-Shine machine next to fitness area on level 1, Gym access is with key card of room. Portage charges are payable for transporting luggage between lobby & room.

The basis / standard room is not spacious. Ask for a king size bed room if you are staying single. It's ok if you are staying there on a single occupancy basis but definately avoid this hotel if you plan to stay on twin sharing basis.
The room has a Bathrobe, Separate Hanging Closet, Electronic safe deposit box, Iron & Ironing Board with trouser press, Tea - Coffee Maker with creamer & sugar sachets.

The complimentary provided is Fizz water & not normal water. Mini Bar / Fridge in the room does not contain ice tray but ice machine available on each floor. Tap water is safe & portable for drinking. Outgoing local calls from the room are Chargeable. High-speed Internet chargeable @ 18 Euro per day even if you use for only 2 hours during the entire day.

So to sum it all up if you are on a modest budget & will spend most of your time outside then this property is definately Value for Money since Salzburg is a small town & every place from this hotel is within 15 - 20 minutes walking distance including the railway station.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank AshishTela
Kolkata
Reviewed 22 June 2010

Good clean hotel in a nice location in Salzburg. Staff were helpful and friendly and spoke several languages. The buffet breakfast was good

• Stayed May 2010
Versailles, France
Reviewed 19 June 2010

It is an old hotel, with a good location but the rooms are badly in need of a renovation. The heater/ac is really noisy, and when I checked in my room had the windows opened, which let me tell you in the middle of january you are freezing... The staff was friendly, but i wouldn't stay there again. The beds were not that confortable and I woke up with a back acke.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank synd12
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 June 2010

Good clean hotel in a good location in Salzburg. Staff were helpful and friendly and spoke several languages. The buffet breakfast was good, but really expensive.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
Heidelberg, Germany
Reviewed 5 June 2010

I have stayed in this hotel about 30-40 times now. Always was happy. Location is good for me, walking distance from railway station and downtown. Every morning I take a short walk (about 200m) to the Mirabell Park to have a view of the magnificant castle and the park. The hotel has 2 restaurants, a normal price/good value restaurant where You can have dinner + dring for 10 Euros. The other restaurant is a high price luxury restaurant. Maybe the best restaurants I know. Dinner + wine starts about 30 Euros, but it is a highlight! Rooms are nice and silent. Very clean.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business