“Sleep deprived in sunny Salzburg”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of NH Salzburg City

NH Salzburg City
Ranked #27 of 132 Hotels in Salzburg
GreenLeadersBronze level
London
“Sleep deprived in sunny Salzburg”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2014

I agree with other reviewers that this hotel is in a great location, no more than a pleasant 10-minute walk to the river and the heart of historic Salzburg. It's very clean, well-presented though perhaps lacking in character, and the reception staff are professional with varying degrees of friendliness. And there is indeed an excellent selection of food at breakfast.

I most definitely agree with an earlier reviewer about Room 102, which I had read before travelling. An alarm bell rang in my head as soon as I saw where I would be spending the next three nights, but you have to give hotels the benefit of the doubt. It's a pleasant enough, bright, spacious room, but my goodness does it get noisy at night.

Room 102 is directly above the front doors, and you hear not one but up to three sets of sliding glass doors opening and shutting as people arrive and depart. And then around 5.30 each morning there are what sound like deliveries, complete with plenty of banging and crashing, but perhaps that is also the breakfast area being prepared for 6.30 onwards.

The bonus on my last night was that my next-door neighbour got in around 1am, thumped around slamming doors for a while and then proceeded to run what must be the largest bath in the world, because the water was running for some 20 minutes. My bed was next to a (locked) connecting door, which probably accounted for the lack of noise installation.

Because I had no time during the day to move from one room to another, assuming that another were available, I said nothing to the staff until checkout. When I mentioned it the reaction was not quite one of indifference, but not far from it.

That said, I would stay at NH Salzburg City again, but definitely nowhere near Room 102.

Room Tip: Avoid Room 102 unless you are a heavy sleeper!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Hastings, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2014

I took a group to stay here for 4 nights. The breakfast is very good indeed. Just about everything you could wish for, just excellent. The lobby lacked atmosphere totally, need a much better area to relax in. Staff were helpful at the reception desk. The room was average, nothing exciting except a comfortable bed. Struggled to get into the bath to have a shower and the toilet was facing a wall, not great as you could hardly move.
It is a quiet hotel and easy access to all the restaurants and bars. Just around the corner .there are many shops and eating places. We decided to have a dinner in the hotel which turned out like " Faulty Towers" from the TV. Everything went totally wrong with service, tough rump steak and the waiters were poor as well. After massive complain, to be fair, the general manager the day after took charge and was generous to us. The waiters suddenly improved and I sincerely hope that it will continue for their sake.
Yes, I would recommend to stay there because of the location..

Room Tip: Keep the air con on and do not open a window, should do the trick. My room was overlooking the front...
Bitburg, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014 via mobile

I love NH Hotels and this one does not disappoint. Great rooms, breakfast, staff, and location to the old town. Just a short walk away from all of the main attractions. I will definitely stay at this hotel again the next time I visit Salzburg.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Christopher A
Bitburg, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

This is your typical NH, but with a little Austrian character. Good location for walking to the sights and restaurants, but on a pretty quiet street. Breakfast is good, as always in an NH, and the parking is on site which isn't all that typical. My small dog was welcome, and the bar is a pleasant place for a drink in the evenings after dinner.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank AmyJosie
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2014

This hotel was perfect…located right off the main Linzer Gasse in the new town part of Salzburg and only 5 mins by Bus number 2 from the train station. Don't bother buying the Salzburg card- you will walk everywhere as the town is small. If you must, get on a bus and take a commuter ride to Sud Salzburg and back…gives you a great sense of the how the locals live. The breakfast was one of the best I have had in Austria and extremely generous with its wide variety of cereals, fruits, juices, cold cuts, cheeses, breads, pastries, jams, spreads, and a special mention for the amazing WMF coffee machine…
All the major sights were a 5 - 8 mins walk away…the hotel booked us for the Sound of Music Tour ( 40 Euros each) where they come and pick you up from the hotel directly.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the inside ( not street facing)
1 Thank AndaluciaDubai
Wolfsburg, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2014

We arrived late 10 minutes to 11. Check in fast and we went to the bar. The waiter told normaly he will close at 11, but a beer is fine. Finaly we stayed until 12.30, he offerd us a bite and he even extend his stay after his girl friend came to pick him up. This was the best bar service I had during many years and gives you 6 stars for service. Room is good NH standard, bath room has room for improvement, exit the shower is even dangerous. Very good breakfast and nice staff during check out. Room was clean, but elevator and floors dirty ! Locating ok and price over all very good.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
luvpugs
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2014

NH Salzburg is in a nice, quiet location. The rooms are nice, updated and modern. When we first checked in, our room was right in front of the elevator. I am a light sleeper and knew the noise of the elevator would keep me up. I asked to be moved to another room and the girl at the desk nicely took care of us and changed our room. The rooms are clean and so was the bathroom. The thing I didn't like about the bathroom was the glass door on it. It only covered half of the bathtub so water would come out. I also take very hot showers so I didn't like that it was open like that. Parking on the other hand was not great. There is a parking garage but it is very small so if you are not at the hotel to get a spot, you have to go look for street parking which can be a pain. It is also hard to get out of the garage...no idea how the garage door opened unless one of us got out of the car, walked through the door and buzzed them from the outside. The rooms do have A/C which is nice. Not that you need it but it was nice to have. I just wish there was a few more English channels on the TV. We only had BBC and CNN but I didn't expect too much being in a non English speaking country. Overall, our stay was nice and I would stay again if we went back to Salzburg.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family