“Depending on the time of year may be terrific or not”

Hotel Villa Carlton
Ranked #26 of 132 Hotels in Salzburg
Reviewed 28 July 2014

I traveled to Salzburg with my 18 year old son just a couple weeks ago. We stayed in Salzburg for 3 nights and 2.5 days. Overall, I would give the hotel a B. The interior designers of this hotel definitely deserve 10/10 as they did a great job combining new and old in a charming, with a great sense of fun and adventure.

The hotel is located pretty conveniently to the center of town and pretty close to the train station, just a 5 minute cab ride (inexpensve cab ride). Thouhg now I would look for a hotel closer to the center, if it was possible, because the center of town in Salzburg is amazingly charming and it would be every better to stay closer to it.

On the plus side: very large room, very clean, decent breakfast (not included in our price but we got it every day because the convenienvce was worth it and the food was pretty good).

The staff was friendly enough, it varied from very friendly to stand offish but they were helpful enough and not a detrimental factor.

A detail that bothered me enough to "deduct" some enthusiasm was not the fact that the hotel does not have AC (which I knew at the time I booked and hoped for cool weather, which did not happen). Our room was warm and with two people each of us wanted a fan by the bed. The turn off factor for me was that when we asked for a second fan and the hotel did have one small beaten up one....(one was already in the room) I had to pay a 10Euro deposit. Given that the hotel charges you an initial deposit of 60 euros already to help with any damage you may cause, I did not understand why they could not just add this 10 to the original deposit or not charge anything at all since
the value of the fan was low (tiny fan in bad condition) and the danger of a traveler coming to Salzburg was lower than low....and if one fan was a reasonable inclusion, two fans for two people during hot weather would seem like a basic assumption for a customer focused hotel providing comfort to their patrons......A small annoying and possibly insignificant detail but possibly worth sharing if you are traveling in warm months.

On the plus side, the room was huge, had a couch and was truly very nice. It would have been nice to have a mini fridge but it was not a big deal not to have it.

The city of Salzburg is very charming and small, and typically I like to stay a mile or less from the center to avoid the hussles however, in Salzburg, if I were to come back, I would look for a place closer to the center, with AC and though I would definitly consider Villa Carlton again and would stay there again if the price was right, I would very diligently explore many other options because for all the splashes of beautiful color and cool interiors at Villa Carlton, a petty attitude of the hotel owners dampened my opinion of this hotel. If I could find equal or better value, I would select a different hotel.

Additionally, because Salzburg is so small, and the hotel is remote though close to the center, It felt kind of too quite and unused. Usually there were no more than two other people at breakfast, we were asked to give the hotel notice if we would have breakfast so they know how to prepare and it felt a bit to empty........For people seeking extreme quite, this will be perfect and while generally I like quite very much, I was surprised by a desire to see other guests (which we did not ......) so for people seeking some energy and activity and excitement, it may be not lively enough.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
VillaCarlton, Inhaber at Hotel Villa Carlton, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2015

Dear guest,

thank you very much for taking the time to share your experiences in your stay at our hotel! We are pleased to hear that you liked our individual style and interior decorations. The hotel was refurbished in 2011 and we take great pride in the unique appearance of the Villa Carlton. We are glad that you also liked our breakfast buffet and found our staff to be very helpful.

The location of our hotel is ideal for explorations of the city by walk. In the warmer seasons our guests are welcome to make use of our free bike rental service, so the city center and its most famous sights are only a short bike ride away.

Our rooms aren’t equipped with air conditioning. As extreme weather highs or lows are rather rare in Salzburg it is usually sufficient to adjust the room temperature by opening a window or turning the heat up or down. If the weather is unusally hot or cold we are happy to provide our guests with additional fans or electric heaters. It is our hotel policy, however, to charge a deposit for such appliances, including kettles and phone chargers etc.

With regards to the lack of excitement and activity which you mentioned, we can only assume that you were lucky to stay here at one of our few less busy weeks. Our guests generally appreciate the personal touch and cozyness of our independently owned hotel.

Nevertheless, we hope that you enjoyed your stay in Salzburg with us and would be glad to welcome you at the Villa Carlton again sometime.

Anna Sunshine Sigl/Manager

There are newer reviews for Hotel Villa Carlton

Reviewed 14 July 2014

Amazingly spacious! Super comfortable bed and power shower.

Only downside was, the heating takes a while to warm up all that space in the room!

Had a whole separate "living room" so our friends down the hallway from us (who did not get our spacious corner room) came over and we had a nice time just having drinks in our extra space.

Definitely ask for the larger corner room with the separate living area!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
VillaCarlton, Inhaber at Hotel Villa Carlton, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2015

Dear guest,
thank you for staying at the hotel Villa Carlton and taking the time to tell us about your visit here on Tripadvisor!
It is a pleasure to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and particularly liked the spacious room, the comfortable bed and the shower. Next time please don’t hesitate to ask our front staff for an additional electric heater if it feels too cold in the room.
We are looking forward to welcoming you back at the Hotel Villa Carlton whenever your travel plans lead you back to Salzburg!
In the meantime I remain with my best regards

Reviewed 12 July 2014

We spent two great nights a Villa Carlton is Salzburg. We did our booking through a 3rd party site at a very reasonable rate.

From the outside the hotel looks like any other classic European hotel, but it quickly changes once you walk inside. The decor is something like Art Deco, with random Andy Warhol like pictures hanging throughout. Check-in was quick and pleasant, the front desk attendant spoke English very well.

We had booked a standard room (cheapest) and were pleasantly surprised with what we got. There was a small anteroom which had the closet on one side and the door to the bathroom to the other. There was also a door closing it off from the bedroom. This was especially good since our room was right next to the stairs and elevator.

The bathroom was well sized for being in Europe. The walk-in shower had a removable head. The only complaint about the bathroom is that they don't provide wash cloths or any other thing for washing yourself. Be sure to put the toilet seat down when you flush as it gushes a lot and will splash out.

The bedroom itself was very spacious and decorated very modernly like the rest of the hotel. Like most other hotels in Europe there were two single beds pushed together, but since the floor is carpeted they didn't spread apart during the night. There was a desk with the TV on it, a lounge chair and a small coffee table. The best surprise was finding that we had a HUGE balcony complete with table and chairs.

The biggest complaint and what keeps us from rating it as excellent is that there's no air conditioning. Fortunately (although unfortunately for sight seeing) it was unseasonably cool and rainy when we were there. We didn't have any problems sleeping since there were two windows high above the doors to the balcony which we could leave open to let in the cool air. I'm sure if it was even in the 70's though we would have been miserable with nothing more than a little desk fan. This is a serious consideration if you're coming to Salzburg in the summer.

One of the mornings we decided to eat breakfast at the hotel, it's an additional €14 per person. In my opinion it wouldn't have been worth it but for the scrambled eggs and scrambled eggs with ham that they have. Due to the hot food, it's worth the cost. The rest is your typical European continental breakfast of cold meats, cheeses and baked goods.

We would definitely return to Villa Carlton, but probably not during the summer months.

Room Tip: 106 has a huge balcony, 206 should have one as well.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear guest,
first of all we would like to thank you for staying at the Hotel Villa Carlton and for posting this review!
We are very glad you enjoyed your stay with us and that the overall design and interior decor of the hotel were to your liking. Although you had booked a standard double room, it seems you might have been lucky to receive a free upgrade to one of our superior double rooms, which are a bit more spacious and come with either a balcony or a bay window.
Our rooms aren’t equipped with air conditioning but the front staff is always happy to provide our guests with additional electric fans, should it turn out to be too warm in the room.
It is true that our breakfast buffet is a continental breakfast. As you mentioned, we are, however, also offering warm dishes such as scrambled eggs to comply with our international guests’ tastes.
We are always grateful for constructive feedback and want to thank you again for writing this review! We would be very glad to welcome you back at the Hotel Villa Carlton - maybe even during the summer months!

Reviewed 8 July 2014

We are very happy with our spacious, clean triple rooms, modern and chic design and comfortable beds. We were so happy with the rooms that we failed to notice that the rooms do not have a fridge or coffee/tea making facilities which are standard amenities for a star-rated hotel. After we bought yogurts and some berries for kids, we then realized we have to eat those healthy snacks immediately and we couldn't even find a spoon to eat the yogurts.

Other than that, the experience is good. Reception staff is not enthusiastic but we can live with that. Location is good; it is between train station and old town. 10 minutes or so either way.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Dear guest,
thank you for staying at the Hotel Villa Carlton and sharing your feedback here on Tripadvisor!
It is great to hear that you liked the design of the of the rooms as well as the location of the hotel! We are also glad that you found our beds to be very comfortable and were satisfied with the cleanliness of the hotel.
Our hotel bar, which sells hot and cold drinks, as well as small snacks, is open 24 hrs, that is why we refrain from a mini bar and tea/coffee making facilities in every room. Howver, our guests are welcome to borrow a kettle, cups, silverware etc from the reception. Our front staff is also happy to store any food for our guests in the fridge at the reception.
We would be pleased to welcome you again at the Hotel Villa Carlton and thank you again for taking the time to posting this review!

Reviewed 3 July 2014

First thing's first: I booked my reservation through booking.com and knowing that I was taking the sleeper train from Venice to Salzburg and arriving at around 4:30am, I had emailed booking.com and the hotel to inform them that I will be arriving at the hotel at around 5am. In addition, on my reservation, I had marked off that my estimated arrival time would be 5am and I had the confirmation email stating that.

So what went wrong? Well, I arrive at the hotel at around 5:30am and notice that the doors were locked. Yes, the doors were locked. I was knocking on the glass doors until someone finally noticed me after about 5minutes. The person that opened the door appeared to have just woken up from a deep slumber as she had no idea what was going on, didn't know how to work the computers, couldn't find my reservation and was completely discombobulated. Now, I completely admit to being a complete grump towards her, but at 5:30am & after giving notice to the hotel of my arrival, all I needed was a bed to sleep in and there didn't appear to be any. After about 45minutes, I finally had a room and was able to sleep.

The room was quite spacious and modern and the beds were comfortable. The bathroom was also very modern, but it took awhile for the water to drain after taking a shower.

WiFi in the room was pretty much non-existent. The only way I was able to get a decent signal was to sit myself in the hallway of the room, outside the bathroom, with my cell phone facing up. Any other position and the signal would cut out immediately. Not exactly the most convenient way to get a WiFi signal, but there really wasn't anything I could do.

I did like that you could rent bikes directly from the hotel. You can place a 50euro deposit and rent a bike all day. It comes with a lock and was the perfect way to explore Salzburg. I did find it weird that I needed to provide a 25euro deposit for using an umbrella; Maybe it's a Salzburg thing, but I've never had to provide a deposit or pay for use of an umbrella when staying in a hotel.

What really made the stay disappointing was the reaction of the front office manager when I told her about my issues regarding the check-in experience. All she said was that they had to keep the doors locked for security reasons (ok, then why not have a doorbell or someone awake to help out those that are arriving at odd hours). She then said it was my fault for not providing them with a paper print out of my reservation, even though I had the email confirming my stay and my arrival time. And on top of that, she then told me that the lady who checked me in gave me the incorrect guestroom rate (even though I had prepaid) and that I still owe them 60euro to close out my stay.

I thought that I would have a good experience staying in this hotel after reading the reviews, but I know I will never stay here if I were to return to Salzburg.

Room Tip: Definitely take advantage of using the bike rental service provided by the hotel
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank vancouver_natasha

Dear guest,

thank you very much for sharing this review here on Tripadvisor. First of all, we want to apologize for the disappointing Check-In experience. Please be assured that this is not our usual standard of welcoming guests at our hotel and that in the meantime we have already taken measures to avoid such unpleasant situations in the future. Our reception is staffed 24/7 and guests can check-in all day after 2pm. We are also sorry to hear that you found our WiFi coverage in your room insufficient. Due to the large number of guests using it simultaneously it can occur that the connection speed is affected.

We are glad, however, you liked the style and size of your room and that you found our beds to be very comfortable. It is also great to read that you made use of our free bike rental service and we hope you enjoyed this wonderful way of exploring the city. Umbrellas can be borrowed from the reception at no charge and without a deposit now.

We thank you again for your feedback and would be happy to welcome you back at the Villa Carlton sometime!

Anna Sunshine Sigl/Manager

Reviewed 2 July 2014

I loved this hotel. The decor is spot on, staff are friendly and helpful, the location is great, breakfast was nice and my room was excellent. It had a comfy bed, dressing area, great large shower and a terrace. However, there is no AC and I stayed when the weather in Salzburg was low to mid 20 degree Celsius and as my room had doors opening on to a veranda and not a window the room was very warm at night as I wasn't keen on opening the doors while sleeping.

I would go back though as the room rate represents great value for the standard and probably reflects the lack of AC.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank James S
Reviewed 1 July 2014 via mobile

This hotel is ideally situated very close to the Salzach and very well located for accessing the city split by the river. The hotel staff are very friendly and helpful and the rooms modern, well equipped and stunning, like the suite room we had. If you are looking for space, quality and comfort out with the usual chain hotels then the Villa Carlton is the place to go!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple