“Great location but avoid room 216!”

Altstadthotel Kasererbraeu
Ranked #35 of 132 Hotels in Salzburg
GreenLeadersBronze level
Dublin, Ireland
“Great location but avoid room 216!”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

I and a friend spent 4 lovely days in Salzburg in July and stayed in the Kasererbraeu hotel which is at the edge of the old city and in a great location. The staff were really friendly and helpful and the buffet breakfast really good. The decor is quirky and it has a really old arty cinema on the premises. However, the room I was in (216) was airless and tiny. Being an old building it didn't have any air conditioning, although a plug-in fan was provided.The "bathroom" must have been forged from a broom cupboard, it was so small that standing by the wash hand basin my rear end projected into the main room. Being an old building it probably had the original floorboards. They certainly protested extremely loudly at my every move. The ceilings must be very thick as there were no complaints from the room underneath. There were two single beds in the room and there would have been a murder committed if there had been another person sharing with me! I don't know what other rooms were like. Maybe I was just unfortunate. It was festival time and the town was very busy so we considered ourselves lucky to get a hotel room at all, but it was expensive for an airless broom cupboard. So the hotel is recommended just check out the room first!

Room Tip: Don't choose room 216!
Green Features: They changed the towels every day even though I replaced them on the rack meaning "no need to change"
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank missireland054

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
Boston
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We loved our stay at Hotel Kasererbraeu. The hotel is small and charming. It was very neat staying in something build back in the 1300's but completely updated. Our room had hardwood floors and very Swiss/Austrian looking furniture. The room was neat and clean as well as the bathroom. The beds were comfortable. The only downside was that there was no A/C (August). We just opened up our windows though (no screens) and let the beautiful breeze come in. There were no bugs at all. We noticed most places in Switzerland and Austria do this. There is no fear of unwanted critters either like you may have in the US. There was also a small fan which helped. We enjoyed waking to the smell of coffee below us, the sound of horses walking on cobble stone streets and a dog barking in the distance. There was an extra charge for having our son in the room as they had to bring in a cot. A wonderful stay!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

When we arrived i was initially excited sbout being in such a historic building & great location. But when we were taken to our room (for what it cost) was very disappointing. The staff did try & move us around , twice but still was average. Unseasonally warm weather we had a small fan & no A/C. Must read small print when booking! I would have expected more for the price. But dont let that put you off SAlzberg which is fantastic

• Stayed July 2014
Fairfield, Connecticut
Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

Convenient location in Salzburg city center. Staff was friendly. Rooms were clean and good sizes but it was quite uncomfortable with just a small fan and no air temperature control. Breakfast included a variety of breads, eggs, cereals, coffee machine and fresh juices. Wi-fi was not accessible from the hotel room, but I was able to use internet in the lobby area.

If you are active and just need a place central to the city with little amenities, this hotel is a good option.

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Kate D
Limassol, Cyprus
Reviewed 28 July 2014

We stayed in the fourth floor family suite which is on 2 levels. The rooms and bathrooms were tastefully decorated and clean. There was no A/C but I guess this was due to the age of the building which is 600+ years old. The rooms had fans which actually cooled the rooms well.
We had a lovely balcony which we shared with the next door room- a note to reception to perhaps mention this to avoid any embarrassing incidents.
Continental breakfast was served a satisfactory selection was available but a larger appetite may not be satisfied.
The hotel staff were helpful and pleasant.
The location was excellent.
This is a family run hotel and those looking for the conformity of a chain hotel may not be satisfied. Those wanting to embrace the ambiance of Salzburg will love this hotel.
The Italian restaurant next door was fine, children sized portions are not available and the waitress had no menu knowledge. Staff were just about ok.

If you are arriving by car be aware that the hotel is in a restricted street when you get to the barrier in the road look for your hotel name and buzz them and they will give you an entry code.

Overall a great hotel.

Room Tip: Having read other reviews perhaps check you have a recently refurbished room. Be aware that the four...
Green Features: We did not encounter their environmentally friendly practices. I am sure they had them but I didn't notice them.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Murrieta, California
Reviewed 24 July 2014

I stayed at this hotel for two nights in July 2014. Aside from a minor glitch upon my arrival (for some reason they did not have a record of my reservation made through Expedia, but were able to get me a room anyway), everything went pretty smoothly. The room was small but comfortable. The location worked just fine for me - I had no trouble making my way there from the train station via bus and a short walk. The hotel's breakfast was very nice and offered for a pretty wide range of hours (6:30-10:30 I think). The wifi worked just fine, although I recall not being able to access the network from the breakfast room. The main issue I could see someone having with this hotel is that the walls are very thin and you can hear everything going on around your room. I could hear someone snoring in the room next to me, and voices carried very well in the hallway outside the room. None of this was necessarily disruptive to my sleep, and I could see myself staying here again if I found myself in Salzburg again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank IMJen2014
Hawks Nest, Australia
Reviewed 13 July 2014

This hotel has a terrific location in the old centre within easy walking distance of everything you want to see. The reception area is rather swish and the staff very friendly and informative. On the first floor, off a small library/lounge area, was our room (number 504), which overlooked a patio. Simple but nicely-furnished, the room was spotless, as was the brightly-lit bathroom. It was, however, somewhat stifling, despite the fan that was already on when we arrived. In the hottest part of summer, I would imagine the room would become unbearably hot.
The breakfast was very good and the overall ambience of the hotel pleasant.

Room Tip: Don't book a room on the first floor, off the library area, if the weather is likely to be hot.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple