“Amazing little hotel close to everything in Salzburg”

Altstadthotel Kasererbraeu
Ranked #35 of 132 Hotels in Salzburg
GreenLeadersBronze level
Bolton, Canada
“Amazing little hotel close to everything in Salzburg”
Reviewed 13 June 2010

We are two 60 something ladies who found the 5 day stay at Kasererbraeu the highlight of our 15 days in central Europe. We were able to walk to the Mozart dinner concerts, the Mariettentheater and all of the major town sites. The rooms were quaint, very clean and the staff bent over backwards to try to help us in every way. The breakfasts were the best of our entire trip and the Trattoria Domani attached to the hotel was a pleasant change from the schnitzl and strudel that we enjoyed at most of the other places we ate in Salzburg. Thank you and we would certainly come back and recommend to any of our friends, or anyone in fact who was willing to listen, that your hotel is the best place to stay in Salzburg area.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank Soogirls

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
Aussie
Reviewed 22 April 2010

I booked this hotel after reading about it on a hotel website and it has been a huge mistake. Firstly, email communication with this hotel is minimal and one finds you have to ring. Secondly, it is not a cheap hotel so be quite sure. The website looks great and offers great service..unfortunately we did not experience any of this. The staff are cold and not overly helpful. The bathroom was ok. Beds shocking! Cheap mattresses, single beds joined together. We slept little for 3 nights due to really bad mattresses and pillows. We also ended up with bad backs and necks. I did speak with staff over the bedding, they were not overly concerned but did put a piece of chipboard under the mattress. Absolute no improvement. We were also advices on booking we would have a spacious room with bath. This did not occur.we were given a small outdated room with bad beds and 1 English tv channel. The hotel itself is a great oldedieval building, but also a theatre. Breakfast is plentiful. Internet access expensive. Brilliant location! However, due to staff, room and bedding we would not go back as we paid a great deal of money for such service. As for Salzburg, an AMAZING place! Beautiful! A must see!

• Stayed June 2010
cork, ireland
Reviewed 20 April 2010

I spent 3 nights in the kasererbraeu, salzburg over easter 2010. having stayed in salzburg on quite a number of occasions, this was the best hotel i have stayed in. the location of the hotel in the altstadt is second to none, within a few minutes walk are the cathedral and town centre. the staff at reception were very helpful and courteous. the room was understated in design as fitting a medieval building, but it was more than adequate. there was a very good buffet breakfast served in a bright and cheerful room. there is also a good italian restaurant on the ground floor of the hotel. in terms of cost it was very good value. the hotel also has a sauna/steamroom area which we did not use. all in all a very positive experience and we will certainely stay in the kasererbraeu the next time we visit salzburg.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 8 February 2010

I arrived in Salzburg on a rainy day at 1PM, looking forward to checking into my room that I had already paid for and get a break from the rain. Instead, what I found was that this hotel had overbooked and had no more spare rooms! I had already paid for the room, but apparently that didn't matter, they instead booked me in a horrible, lower standard hotel across town to "make up for it" but didn't offer me my money back or any other kind of compensation. I refused to stay in the inferior hotel and they were very reluctant to look for other options saying that it would "take too much time". In the end, I decided not to stay in Salzburg altogether and had a horrible time. I still have no idea if I will get my money back or not, and I would definitely not recommend booking this hotel!

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank kyoung26
edinburgh
Reviewed 4 February 2010

After much research-we found this hotel on the list of Salzburg hotels- the website looked really good and they offered a package for 3 nights that included dinner and a concert and the Salzburg card for 48 hours( which i would recommend getting)
I guess in hindsight we should have realised that there would be problems with this hotel.
From the start there were no answers to email enquiries-resorting in us having to phone them.Asked for confirmation after giving out credit card information-none given. Eventually after phoning again was brusquely told that it would be sent.
Anyway when we arrived at the hotel-it seemed vey nice .The lobby is very plosh but the reception doubles as a cinema reservation bureau-strange.
We were given keys to room 211. This is when things started to go downhill. The room was a decent size but the furniture was incredibly dated and had big chunks out of them. The double bed was to singles pushed together with a large gap down the middle-hardly romantic given that we had boked a romatic package! bathroom was dates and tired with the tiles having been painted over several times and peeling in many places.
Deciced to try and make the best of it but the beds were very uncomfotable and resulted in my girlfriend having an exceptionally bad back the next day. We were aslo woken up from 4am onwards by theguests above waking backwards and forwards across the wooden floor
Asked to be moved the next day which the receptionist did-though we had to come back after 12-thus interupting our sightseeing. Room 329 was better and had a double bed and was more refurbished and the bathroom was of a better quality.Hence the reason we give this hotel a higher grade.
Breakfast was good and the people serving were friendly. Could not say the same for the reception team who were cold and indifferent.
I realise that you pay for location and that Salzburg is an expensive city but for 540 euros for 3 nights-one can do better
Would go back to Salzburg though-it is a stunning city-a must see is the birthplace of Mozart and the castle

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank industria
Baltimore
Reviewed 9 December 2009

I have visited Salzburg many times and I have stayed at several places in the old town. I am writing this to truly help others avoid this hotel. I found out that most of the city was booked out and as a last resort I booked through the local tourist board website as it was the only hotel room available for the weekend I was planning the visit. I was with my family a total of three adults and ended up spending over 600 for two nights. First off the bed I slept in creaked all night as the bed was not comfortable the springs I could actually feel through the matress and it was on a board on top of a wooden frame. I had to ask the maid for sopa to wash our hands the bathroom was the smallest I have ever seen and the other bed was outdated in the other room it was all covered in old cloth material.. As I was taking a shower the first day I could actually hear louding banging in the shower. I thought they were working on the floor above us. THe next day the banging continued it was all the way until 11pm and the light fixture was actually ratteling on the ceiling. We even started to run out of the toilet paper but luckiely the mad brought a new roll and finally a spare after the first day. We stayed in room 107 and warn everyone not to book the hotel as it appears high end and the lobby is nice but are you paying to stay in the lobby? THe breakfast is a nice buffet but again we have stayed at other places in Austria with the same size buffet for less than a third of the room rate. I know location is everything but I have stayed at hotels up further closer to the action for way less than this rate and better quality. I will be writing the hotel and tourist board about this horrible hotel. I did notice that some rooms that I got a peek of were somewhat better but again is it worth it? NO

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank JeffBaltimore
Waterford, Ireland
Reviewed 11 October 2009

The hotel has a fantastic location in the Altstad below the Nonnberg Abbey and the fortress. A number of Salzburg's 45 churches and other major attractions are within easy walking distance. The room was of a reasonable size with a mixture of old style and modern furniture. One thing missing was the lack of tea and coffee making facilities. Breakfast was excellent with a good variety. Sauna and steam room was clean and of a good standard. I would happily recommend the hotel to friends and family.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple