“Great location, clean, comfortable.”
Review of Schwarzes Rossl

Schwarzes Rossl
Ranked #96 of 132 Hotels in Salzburg
Washington, DC
“Great location, clean, comfortable.”
Reviewed 23 September 2011

As I understand it, this hotel is opened from July-September as a hotel and serves as a student dormitory the rest of the year. I had read mixed reviews of the hotel here but the price and location lured me in. I really liked it. I needed a single room in Salzburg and I was pleased. It is very clean, the room was comfortable and had a few charming touches. I thought the staff was helpful. Free wi-fi is available in the lobby, in the room you need an ethernet cable. A previous review mentions the smoke. Yes, there is a room off the lobby where the staff gathers to smoke and the lobby and hallways did sometimes smell of smoke. It did not affect me in my room though so this didn't bother me too much.

Room Tip: There is ongoing construction on the building across the street so to minimize noise, ask for a room...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Denmark
Reviewed 30 August 2011

This is a no frills hotel: no minibar, no room service, no air-con. But I enjoyed my stay as my room was light, very clean, the staff extremely friendly - and all this at a very favourable price. Breakfast is served in the cafe next door. Only minus: the wifi in my room (102) did not work - so I had to go out of the room to have a connection - but it was for free ;)

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
Ridgefield, Washington
Reviewed 15 August 2011

The hotel is in a great location! However, the staff would smoke in a room next to the lobby and the smoke filled the hotel. We had to keep our windows open all the time. The stairway is noisy and the staff didn’t do anything to stop children from running up and down the stairs creating tremendous noise. The breakfast was all right. It is located in a restaurant next to the hotel.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank steve1289

Travellers are raving about these Salzburg hotels

London
Reviewed 20 September 2010

The demolition and rebuilding work at the back of the hotel is still ongoing and starts up at 07.20 every weekday. The noise is hideous and makes it impossible to sleep once it starts. The work did not happen on Saturday or Sunday morning so I was able to have a "lie-in" on those days despite some enthusiastic bell-ringing around town. I was at the end of a corridor so at least I did not get the noise of the creaky stairs.

I asked to be moved to another room at the front but was told this was not possible as the hotel was full. The member of staff's look told me that she often got this request and I saw one other person making the same complaint during my stay. It seemed to me that she did not want the administrative hassle of moving a guest from one room to another. However most of the rooms are at the back.

As of mid-September 2010, the building being worked on still looks mostly like a shell so I would imagine the work will carry on until the end of October or longer.

My room was a "twin for single use" with two single beds in it that were firm and not uncomfortable. It was clearly student accommodation, albeit fairly good student accommodation. A couple of large cupboards that had a few hangars were useful but this is a "no frills" establishment.

The room was generally clean but the standard of cleaning varied from day to day and lacked attention to detail. There was dry food residue from a previous guest at the base of one of the beds that was not cleaned during my stay, Towels were not changed one day despite being left in the shower. Pillows were normally left where they had been on the bed.

Despite not being able to move me to another room, the staff were however very friendly and helpful, all speaking very good English. They even gave some advice on travel to a friend of mine who was waiting for me in reception and wasn't even staying at the hotel.

I thought the location was very good. It's in the heart of the new town and right near the main bridge over into Altstadt. The hotel was 15-20 minutes walk from the train station - or you could catch a bus pretty much all of the way there.

Breakfast, on the other hand, was inedible muck. And there wasn't enough of it. The juice drink was particularly nasty; I can't recall having tasted a more disgusting flavoured juice drink in my life.

The free wifi was very useful, even if I could only access it from the lobby and breakfast rooms and not from my own room; ask the receptionist for the password. There is supposed to be a wired connection in each room but I did not bother looking for the socket as I only had a wifi phone; there was a cable for this in one of the bedside cabinets.

If leaving a bag at the hotel for a few hours on check-out, they ask you to just leave it out in the open in the lobby and do not offer to lock it up. For anyone with valuables, or scruples about white lies at check-in desks, this might be a problem.

Overall a very mixed bag. Not bad value for money if you can avoid the building works and don't want a decent breakfast.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled solo
Osprey, Florida
Reviewed 3 September 2010

This hotel is very nice, has a great location, the room was spacious and the employees are very helpful. We found that we needed to have the windows open for some cool air and the noise at night from the bars in the alley was LOUD all night long, every night. The demolition in the buildings across the alley from us was at a standstill when we were there, but I could see how it could be a noise problem. The bathroom was small and the breakfast was a little sparse. Overall, I liked the hotel and would return if the conditions are right.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Leicestershire, England
Reviewed 8 August 2010

I stayed at the Schwarzes Rossl for 6 nights. On the first morning I was woken up at 7am by very loud building noise. They are demolishing the building at the back of the hotel and they work on it from very early in the morning at least 6 days a week. I asked to be moved to a room at the other side of the hotel. The man on Reception was very nice and very helpful and did eventually manage to move our room. Had we been forced to stay at the back side of the hotel I think I may have lost my mind SO if you are staying here then pre-request a room at the front of the hotel.

Noise aside this is a great hotel I think. The location is perfect - a 3 minute walk from the old town on the other side of the River. the rooms were large, bright, clean and nicely furnished with some old fashioned Austrian touches. It was perfect for us.

Breakfast is unremarkable but adequate - basic cereal, bread rolls, one type of cheese and one type of processed ham. There's a hot drinks machine with as much coffee and hot chocolate as you want too.

The only slight minus points were: No tea & coffee making facilities in the rooms, no tea at breakfast (well only Earl Grey - wuh. Take some bags with you) and the main staircase is super creaky so if your room backs on to it as ours did then the noise from people tramping up and down is fairly annoying.

I would stay here again because of the great rooms, the location and the helpful staff.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 16 October 2009

Stayed 3 nights. Room is simple, spacious, and clean. Bathroom is small but again clean and functional. Hotel is on a side street so it's pretty quiet to begin with. Double windows in the room makes it dead quiet. Breakfast is basic but plentiful. For the money, it's a great value.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple