“There is room for improvement”
Review of Vogelweiderhof

Vogelweiderhof
Ranked #115 of 132 Hotels in Salzburg
Reviewed 5 February 2013

My company booked a lot of rooms for us, so I could see different rooms in the hotel. Let's start with the positive things:
- it is located near the train station; you can walk there within 15 minutes
- there is a great Italian restaurant in the cellar of the hotel - you can access it even without leaving the building!
- there is also an Asian restaurant next door (although I haven't tried it)
- the bus stop of 21, which takes you to the center in 18 minutes, is just in front of the hotel
- there are food shops (Billa and Hofer) nearby
- the breakfast room looks really nice
- there are huge LCD TVs in the rooms
- most of the rooms are spacious

However, there are disturbing things such as:
- the rooms on the 1st floor are really old
- the guest on the 1st floor were smoking like hell which made our stay pretty unbearable
- other rooms, even on the 2nd floor, were not properly cleaned. When I moved my bed, I could find pretty old litter there :(
- the bathrooms shall be renovated
- the elevator is out of order
- there were prostitutes on the streets near the hotel
- one of my beds (I had 2) was unusable - however it was changed after I had complained
- my room was on the rear side and there is some kind of construction or renovation at the train station, so there was some kind of constant noise
- in one of the lamps there was no bulb
- the WLAN reception was poor

Although there are a couple of pros for this hotel, I will not stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Istok

Reviewed 31 October 2012

My family and I spent three nights in this hotel in oktober.Room was clean,and nice.Breakfast was good,and for the this price everything was very good.Location is near highway,what is dificulty to find out,but we drowe behind bus 21,and wefound hotel very easy.I will choose this hotel for my next holiday.

Room Tip: room 208 is nice with four beds.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Angelina303
Reviewed 4 October 2012

Our friends had reserved an "apartment" to accommodate the six of us. Upon arriving, we were told there were no apartments open so we would have to split our group of three couples between two rooms. This wasn't working for us as one couple would have to split up or squeeze onto a twin bed. When we said we were going to cancel our booking and find other accommodations, magically, an apartment opened up. Imagine that. Despite the initial deception, the hotel was nice enough and within walking distance (a mile or so) from downtown Salzburg. Our friends were also under the impression there would be a kitchenette in our apartment - this turned out to be a kitchen table and chairs, but no stove or sink like we were hoping. In the end, the staff only saved itself by sending us off with two giant Aero candy bars. Still, I was none too impressed and would think twice about booking here.

Room Tip: Try for an interior room not on the side of the Chinese restaurant/bar, which tends to get noisy. Al...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 September 2012

We got to this hotel after looking in trip advisor...THe recepsion was very helpful and kind. The room was very large, all wooden floor with a LCD TV, drawers and everything we needed. There are a few restaurants around it, and it takes about 10 minutes to city center with a bus. The bus stop is located 25 meters from the hotel, and it makes it very easy to use. Breakfast was decent and good. Overall you get a good value for money, mostly if compared to more centrally located hotels.

Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 August 2012

the first floor is really OLD rooms. on the second floor it looks a bit better but only at the first glance. small room where only bed can go in. one bed-lamp for double-bed, and it's broken. bathroom is not awful but could be a lot, a lot newer. no A/C - and a railway just behind the window, in additon to a noisy street, even at night.
city center cannot be reached walking - not only because it's too far but also because it's not a pleasant walk through auto-washes, wh's, petrol stations etc...
breakfast is very-very basic (definetely not at 3-star level).
staff was just there - but that's not what usually expect while travelling in Austria.
the only good thing in this hotel was new bed.
I really cannot imagine who's the "purpose traveller" for this hotel??

Room Tip: no choice, actually! :(
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 June 2012

We stayed at this hotel overnight whilst visiting Salzburg. The hotel is quite large and airy inside. Our room was on the top floor and we had to take our cases up the stairs as the lift wasn't working. This wasn't a huge problem for us, but I could see it being a problem for some travellers. There wasn't any offer of assistance from the staff either, which I thought my wife would have appreciated. The room itself was fine. Large, spacious double with good en-suite. Fresh towels, plenty of wardrobe space and clean throughout. The decoration of the hotel is a little tired in places, and a good refurb could make this hotel live up to it's potential. The breakfast was good being the continental style buffet, with a good range of choice, and the staff were all helpful. We did ask for a drink from the bar, which wasn't stocked with any beer and so the receptionist walked over to the garage and bought 2 cans to bring back. We found this a little odd, but the hotel didn't rip us off on the price. The hotel's location is very handy coming in from the north to the city, but is a good 20 minute walk into Salzburg city centre. Not an issue for us, and the owner told us of a bus available outside, but again this could be for other travellers with young children/prams. That said, the hotels in the middle of town are more expensive generally, and as we were only looking for an overnight stay at a reasonable price, this hotel was fine.

Room Tip: We had a room on the top floor overlooking th city suburbs to the Alps. If you ignore looking direc...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 February 2012

My husband, my 11 year old daughter and I stayed her for 3 nights last August. We booked on line and was told it was within 10 mins walking to the city centre (not by the hotel). In fact it is a 30 minute bus ride. It is located opposite a petrol station, next to a large chinese restaurant almost at the entrance of the motorway. Most unattractive location.
Outside the front garden was overgrown and neglected, there were abandoned pallets resting on the flat roof and the rear garden/seating area was a builders yard ant not even accessible. Inside the pot plants were almost dead, the lift had obviously been out of service for some time as it was blocked by another pot plant, there was spare furniture stacked at the end of the corridor and spare mattresses lined up, against the wall at the other end of the corridor. In the basement toilet electrical cables were taped to the floor and wall. Our room had clean sheets but no bedside lamps. It was impossible to see anything properly by the dim light. Showers were less than inviting. Our room overlooked a railway siding with abandoned engines and my daughter's room overlooked an array of satellite aerials and washing lines from the block of flats next door. The staff were pleasant and polite and the breakfast was satisfactory.

Room Tip: I would hope that by now the hotel has been cleaned, tidied and repaired to a satisfactory standard...
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family