“Hotels with value for money in Salzburg”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Plainbruecke Hotel

Plainbruecke Hotel
Ranked #78 of 132 Hotels in Salzburg
Stade
“Hotels with value for money in Salzburg”
Reviewed 19 May 2008

This was a good value for money hotel. No frills, but a large enough room, clean and comfortable. I only wish they would provide some tea/ coffee making facilities.

The room had a large bathroom which looked newly renovated.

There was an italian Restaurant on the side of the hotel and a small beer garden.
Next door was an Cake shop / Ice cream parlour which was good!

The staff were friendly, although I'm not sure they all spoke English.
I also liked the area set out with tables and armchairs if you didn't want to stay in your room.

On the down side, there is no air conditioning, if you had a room on the main road side, I guess it could be noisy with the windows open in summer. Our room was at the back and quiet.

The hotel is outside the main Salzburg town centre.
Don't be put off by this. You can spend a pleasant 20 minute walk following the river into town, or get a number 6 bus which stops outside the hotel and runs every 15 minutes. There is also an S-Bahn that runs at the back of the hotel.

Also, if you compare hotel prices in the centre of Salzburg of a similar standard, you will pay significantly more.

So for a budget / low cost hotel I would recommend this hotel.

• Liked — Clean and comfortable
  • Disliked — Lack of tea / coffe making facilities
  • Stayed May 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Switzerland
Reviewed 3 June 2007

The hotel ist located north of Salzburg at the rim of the city, right
at a busy street. The neighbourhood is not really pleasant. A kind of mix or transition between industrial and suburban. Restaurants, Pubs, etc. are hard to find in the vicinity. There is an independant
Italian restaurant within the hotel building, though. But who on earth comes to Austria and wants to eat italian! It might be ok for locals, but I much rather experience the distinctive austrian cooking
(surf the internet at home, and get ready for it).

The access to the hotel via the Ring-Autobahn is more convenient (via
exit north), don't bother to drive through the city (unless you have a GPS and want to do some sightseeing).

My room window was on the side, not faceing the street, therefore the
noise didn't bother me. I was in room 109 for 3 nights, peer at my pictures. I paid 64 Euro per night. Regarding the high prices of the hotels in Salzburg, this was reasonable for what I got. It was a double room for single use. The size of the room is average european. The size of the bathroom is larger than average. My room had one window, no view, no balcony. I quite liked the wooden furniture.

There are a few free parking spaces for guests, well hidden in the backyard. Once you have your keys, you have a direct access to the backyard via the staircase to the breakfast room. By the way, the breakfast room is pleasant (small, can get crowded), brakfast itself is ok, but offers a rather small selection only.

Just about 5 or 10 yards beyond the parking lot you can see the tracks of the local railway, that leads you in two stops only, right in to the central railway station of Salzburg, with busses and trolleybusses bringing you everywhere. It's all included in the "Salzburg Card". The very little rail stop station by the hotel parking has two "stop on request" buttons. One for each direction. You better make sure you press the correct one.

The hotel looks very clean to me, but they did still not get rid of that musty smell. Unfortunately the reception is unattended most of the time. Do not hesitate to take the phone and call somebody. They are not talkative at all, but they will answer your questions. Ask about the "Salzburg Card", it's available at the reception!

• Liked — Access to local train and bus literally on the premises.
  • Disliked — No restaurants or pubs in walking distance from the hotel.
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled solo
1 Thank Margun
Ireland
Reviewed 9 May 2007

Fellow Travellers!

We searched a long time to find a hotel that would provide a family room for two parents with two young children (aged 9 & 10) and the Plainbrucke hotel met this need. A four-person room with breakfast was 135 Euro/night.

I was a bit concerned after reading the January 5, 2006 review on this website but our room was perfectly fine. If you go to the hotel website ([--]) and look at the English section under prices, the top right is a picture of our room. What is missing in the picture is where the camera was positioned and there was another double bed and the hallway to the bathroom and separate toilet.

The hotel is located at the edge of town so it was a 20-minute walk to the old town area. The walk, however, was lovely - Right along the edge of the river! When you come into town and cross the bridge, you walk right into a park. The long walk was only a minor annoyance.

For those of us who like a beer - and the beer is great there! - the hotel is 30 feet away from the bus stop to the town center. While we had a rental car, we chose to walk into town and catch the bus back each time we hit town.

Right next to the hotel are a bakery, a restaurant, a nice sports pub, and a grocery store.

The hotel breakfast consisted of cereals, rolls (delicious!), and a couple of trays with meats and cheese. Also supplied were coffee, tea, and 3 types of fruit juices.

The only downside was a funny/bad smell in the hallways. I hope they address that, as it was pretty bad.

There was a little traffic noise but nothing major or enough to keep us awake at night.

The key question: Would I bring my family there again? Yes - Without hesitation!

• Liked — Family room
  • Disliked — Smell in the hallways
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank Ireland_abcd
Ploiesti, Romania
Reviewed 5 January 2006

Well, based on the good reviews I`ve seen here and in some other places, I`ve gone to this "hotel" Plainbrucke in Austria. I have booked a single room for the price of 70 EUR / night for 7 nights and faxed my credit card as a deposit. But when I arrived .. surprise. The room looked like it does in the sketch I`ve made. And I can guarantee you there is NO exageration. It looked like a trailer house ! No more than 8 sqm, bathroom included ! And two people could not have passed each other in the room near the bed, as it was not wide enough. Really depressing ! They also had larger rooms for 90EUR, and I said ok, I will take one of those, but then they said that they are fully booked starting two days from then (it was the new year`s eve), and I could only stay 2 days in the large room and then I should return to the small one for the rest of my stay. Me and my girlfriend left the luggage there and went to look for another hotel, which we found in about 1 hour and came back and said that we will be leaving because we cannot stay 5 nights in a room like that. But .. surprise. The old nice lady which owns the house turned into an old not nice lady, which told me that according to the austrian hotel contract ( which I have not signed ! ) I must pay 50% of the accommodation fees which would mean 245 EUR. Of course I said that I will not pay anything because I only left the luggage in their room for 1 hour and also I have been cheated by the misleading advertising on their website, which showed nice, large rooms with new furniture and fresh look, and with SPACE ! Their room was claustrophobic. So in just 30 second the old nice lady was calling the POLICE !!! What for ? She was trying to rip me of ... 245 EUR for their trailer house room where I have not stayed one minute. My luck ( if it can be called this way after all that happened ) was that one of the police officers that came in about 5 minutes was a nice young lady which spoke good english and which unerstood the situation and convinced the owner lady to drop their pretentions to 100 EURO which I had to pay (and I have the receipt for it to be prooved in case somebody from the reviews department wants to see it). So thanks to plainbrucke hotel I got ripped of 100 EURO of my vacation money. Not very nice of them. I am writing this review and I strongly think it should be left here, because if I had seen this type of problem happened to someone else either I would have chosen another hotel, or I would have been more carefull when booking and sent them notice that if I did not like the room I will leave the hotel immediately. Choose carefully when booking a hotel in Austria! Best regards . Florin

• Stayed December 2005
9 Thank bmcdro

Travellers are raving about these Salzburg hotels

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 August 2005

After looking around the net for a reasonably-priced Salzburg hotel, I realised that it would be difficult to find one during festival time in the centre of town.

I instead found this gem which is a 15-minute bus ride from the centre, but don't worry as there is a bus stop just across the road and the buses come every ten minutes during normal day hours. I also recommend a Salzburg Card for free public transport.

Our room was very clean and comfortable, and the bathroom was really nice. There were no issues with getting hot water.

The staff were very friendly and helpful. We forgot to bring a British to Austrian travel adaptor and the staff did their best to help. In the end we bought one of our own in Werfen (a VERY beautiful little town with stupendous scenery).

The breakfast buffet is very nice with a wide selection of foods to choose from.

If you fancy a quiet night in, then the Italian Restaurant adjoining the hotel is nice. My fianceé's pizza was one of the best she had ever had (I do not like Pizza but they do a nice Rump Steak and other things).

Ten seconds' walk from the hotel is a nice little place which does delicious ice cream in many flavours.

I would certainly stay in this little hotel again. :-) My only minor criticism is that traffic noise can a be a little loud if you have your windows open. The sound insulation with them closed is very good.

• Stayed August 2005
6 Thank funkybassman
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 4 October 2004

This is family run guesthouse in the northern part of the city. Frau Schweigart and her adult daughters(proprietors) were extremely helpful, friendly and accomodating. The location is very convenient to the Salzach River which runs to downtown Salzburg. There are wonderful hiking/biking paths which are located on both banks of the river and provide an easy, scenic hike into Old Town Salzburg. The hike is approximately 30 minutes and walking home alone after midnight there were no safety concerns as you would find in many U.S. cities. If you don't care to hike/bike into the city a bus stop is located very close to the guest house.
The guest accomodations are very modern and the breakfasts were delicous and very ample with a wonderful variety.
If you are looking for a reasonably priced, modern guest house convenient to the city I highly recommend the Hotel Gasthof Plainbrucke.

• Stayed September 2004