“Wonderful Weekend Getaway” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #56 of 131 Hotels in Salzburg
South Carolina
“Wonderful Weekend Getaway”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2013

I was in Germany on business and my wife accompanied me for the first week. The first weekend I had free we traveled to Salzburg and stayed at this hotel. We had a car and the hotel was easy to find with my GPS. The hotel is up on a hill that overlooks the city of Salzburg. We had a very comfortable room with a terrific view. I probably would not have stayed at this hotel without a car, because it is a pretty good walk into Salzburg. The staff was very friendly and helpful when we needed advice on what activities to do in town. Breakfast was typical European fare and very good. We also had dinner at the hotel as well. The food was outstanding. If we ever go back to Salzburg, we will definitely stay at this hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BizTraveler81

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Espoo
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2013 via mobile

Yes, it's in nice place top of Hill what you must drive or Walk. So maybe not the Best place to stay without a car.

But you can get a taxi from there to the old town for 12-15e oneway and old town you can Walk everwhere.

Rooms where ok, littlebit old decorated but still very Fine, no aircon

View from the rooms to City side where nice.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank aaltoespoo
Southport, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2013

Great view of Salzburg and the surrounding mountains. Car required as high up a hill. Peaceful location. The meal in the restaurant in the evening was delicious and the choice for breakfast was great. Friendly staff dressed in local costume. We only stayed for obe night but would definitely go back for a longer stay.

Room Tip: Nice outside pool for the warm weather
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2013

My son and I visited there in April and it was a nice stay. You really should have a car if you plan on staying here for convience sake. The hotel has picturesque views because its high on a hill itself over looking salzburg. The walk down is steep enough and there is a bus stop at the bottom of the hill. We took a taxi home every time because it wouldn't have been enjoyable personally to hike back up, especially if carrying things. Admittedly almost every Austrian I saw there looked like a supermodel so I don't think it's a biggie for the general population. The Internet was quite slow which to my son was like cutting his arm off but the charm and the ambience of the hotel made up for it. My son was devastated there was no croissants for breakfast but I think that is why everyone looks so healthy and lean. Over all and very pleasant stay and very gracious and humble hosts.

Room Tip: Get a room facing Salzburg breathtaking views ...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Gilmer, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2013

I hate to say this, and do not state it lightly, but after staying at this property more than once, I WILL NOT BE STAYING HERE AGAIN AND CANNOT RECOMMEND IT TO ANYONE ELSE. Almost every year I take my wife back to Germany to visit her relatives (she is from Germany originally). The last trip we made in 2011 we decided to go to Salzburg for a visit and wound up staying at this property. I have to admit, this place has the best view in Salzburg. It is a pretty place high up on a mountain overlooking Salzburg from the north-east side of town. The last stay I thought the service was adequate, nothing special. In May of 2013 I bought my wife and 2 children (2 years and 1 year), my parents and my in-laws back to Salzburg. We decided to stay at this place again . . . . . . . BIG MISTAKE.

First, the last time we stayed here, it was the owners' day off so the restaurant was closed. This time, because we were bringing our 2 very small children, I called to make sure the guesthouse restaurant would be open. I was assured by the owner that it would be open during my stay. When we arrived we were informed that my party of 8 hotel guests could not use the restaurant because the owner had booked a wedding. At first he tried to blame us for the "confusion" saying that it was our fault because we did not mention this issue in our booking email. However, upon cross-examination by me (he speaks fluent english) he admitted that when I called the restaurant was open but that he booked the wedding afterwards. Despite having my email and telephone number I was not made aware of this. Normally, this would not be a big deal, but this property is quite a ways from the altstadt (old town center) in Salzburg and there really are not many decent places to eat at night anywhere near this location. Therefore, I had to pack up two babies and two car loads of people and hunt down some place to feed everyone. The owner never even tried to accommodate us.

Next, he put my family in in two-room apartment with a broken shower and the room smelled like an ashtray. This room was a dump. There is no other way to state it more diplomatically. When my wife called down and asked (in German) for the owner to come fix the only shower in our room because it was broken he came up, looked at it, and said he would not attempt to fix it until the next morning. I was stunned. I travel a lot for business and pleasure and have never been told something so rude. This especially true in Germany and Austria at guesthouses because the owners typically go out of their way to make you feel at home and to ensure you enjoy your stay (my wife's aunt owns a guesthouse/hotel in southern Germany so I am not speaking out of ignorance).

Concerning other details, there is free WiFi but it really does not work well in the rooms. Most likely because the walls in this place are extremely thick as are most places in this area. It works fine in the halls and he common areas. The view, as stated above, is ridiculously awesome. You will have to have a car to get anywhere worth seeing in Salzburg from here. Otherwise, you will spend a fortune on taxi fares. I have yet to be allowed to dine here so I cannot comment on the food although the food the wedding party was eating did smell good....lol. Parking is free and easy to find close to front door. There are plenty of beautiful walking trails (both on the road and around the property). The breakfast is typical German/Austrian fare and was good the last time we stayed here.

In short, anyone traveling to Salzburg should drive up to the Schone Aussicht on a pretty day and take in a marvelous view. Maybe even order a beer and sit outside for a half an hour and relax...but stay somewhere closer to the center of town with better customer service. I am still amazed at how our whole party was treated by the owner. You can get a much better overall experience elsewhere.

Room Tip: If you must stay here, be sure to communicate everything in writing if you have special requests. O...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank LongBuck
Runcorn, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2012

When reviewing a hotel You have to look at everything and not go by first impressions. I arrived at the hotel to be greeted by Philip the manager who was very helpful. After booking in which was very quick due to the fact he had filled in the card from my reservation and It just needed to signature.
After unloading my bags I found the bar. After disscussing the beir with the barmaid who was also the waiteress and maitra dee, I consumed an excelent choice of drink. Next came the food and I was shown into the dining room with wonderful views over the town of Salzburg after a fantastic meal I asked the chef be complimented and if he was michelin trained. The waiteres stated no but he was her husband. ( A good working team) During my stay I ate there three nights out of the four and have no hesitation in recomending the restaurant which is open to all and well used by the locals.
The hotel is 300 years old but the interior is well kept and in the Germanic wooden style. Nothing seemed to be too much bother for the staff and I felt very welcome. There was one problem that was my fault for not checking. The hotel is on top of the Hueberg (mountain) and the 15 Min ride on a trollybus was easy compaired with the 40 min walk up the mountain road. Next time I will hire a car. Taxis are 12 Euros from the Station but the bus is only 3.30euros
When marking exams or grading papers I am constantly told do not give 100% It is not easy to deduct points but I will give 9 out of 10 because despite being a non smoking hotel it is permited in the bar. being British I like to prop up the bar so I was obliged to use one of the smaller rooms near the reception. This was not a problem to me and the smoking is an Austrian thing that needs to be brought into line with other countries.

Would I go back? Yes now that I know about the transport.

Room Tip: As I only had one room It is dificult to comment but from the 2nd floor I could see over the valley...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank David T
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2012

Setting on the side of a mountain you can see the city of Salzburg. Stayed here three days. Downside is that you will need a car to get around. The room was basic, terrible TV and WI-FI and two twin beds pushed together. Restaurant was good.

Room Tip: This hotel is out of the way and is hard to find without a navigation system. Suggest you have one.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple