“Convenient Location. Nice room.”

and 1 more site!
Gasthaus Hinterbruehl
Ranked #16 of 60 Salzburg B&B and Inns
Silver Spring, Maryland
“Convenient Location. Nice room.”
Reviewed 22 August 2011

We had the triple/family room at the Hinterbruhl and thought it was very nice. We were pleasantly surprised that our room had a shower and a balcony. There was also a mini-fridge in the room. The hotel was clean, in a convenient location and the staff was helpful if you were patient in dealing with the language barrier. They helped us out by calling Panorama Tours when they failed to pick us up as scheduled. The breakfast was also pretty good.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Hungarian first
Zagreb, Croatia
Reviewed 21 February 2011

If you're a backpacker and literally need a place to crash that is near all the sights, this place is for you. Otherwise, there are probably other places that are around the same money that are a lot better. Our room was just not very nice - friend with allergies had a hard time with all of the dust and mold. Very very dated rooms with very tacky design, and old furniture. I was a bit grossed out to get in the bed.

However, having said all of that, the location was amazing. We could walk into "Old Town" in a matter of 5 minutes, and had free parking (over the weekend) just around the corner from the place. We drove from Croatia.

I wouldn't go to this place though again, even with the great location. Going into it, I thought it was going to be a stop up from a hostel, but I've stayed in better hostels.

Oh, and we had a shower in our room, but the WC was down the hall and one flight of stairs down.

Also, huge security question - there seems to be one key that opens all doors. For example, we could open hotel rooms on the floor below us, b/c we didn't know we were on the wrong floor. This didn't make us feel particularly safe.

The breakfast did exceed our expectations, but that could've been b/c we had very low expectations of the breakfast given our room and rest of the establishment. It was a very small amt. of cereal, yogurt, roles, ham and very very bad coffee.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank mommabetsy
Cork
Reviewed 19 January 2011

I was there for the New Years, and because i was booking so late i have got a room with no bathroom at all only sink with cold and hot water. The toilet was close to the room and shower as well so it wasn't too bad. The room was small but clean.Hotel has no reception at all. Staff friendly and helpful. Breakfast very basic but good especially the coffee. Location is very convenient ,very close to the old town (5min walk). The only thing is that the restaurant downstairs is closing very early around 5-7 pm and then there is no option to get any hot drink in the hotel. Slazburg is a winter resort so I would suggest the owner to bring to the rooms at least kettle and few mugs to actually have the opportunity to drink something warm in the evening or to install special machine downstairs in the corridor to get something hot to drink. I would also suggest the owner to change at least the towels and linen for new. But overall the hotel is not too bad.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with friends
Boston
Reviewed 9 November 2009

When I arrived the manager was a little cold and asked me to pay in cash only immediately ( he said his credit card machine was not working ). I paid him on the spot and then when I asked for a receipt, he said he was too busy ( which he seemed to be - though not too busy to take my money ) and that I should come back in an half hour. I did as he said and he still seemed a little cold but gave me the receipt. The room was one with a sink and the bathroom and shower are down the corridor. There was no t.v. in the room. The room was very clean and cozy - I do not think there was any closet to hang clothing - it is a relatively small room. The bed was comfortable and it was very quiet at night. The breakfast was very basic and the staff was not that friendly. The location is very good and the place is clean. So for over priced Salzburg this place is a good bargain.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled solo
WNC
Reviewed 6 April 2009

As with many popular city destinations in Western (and yes, parts of Eastern) Europe, it is becoming increasingly difficult to find acceptable (in standards of comfort, cleanliness, etc..) CENTRALLY-located accomodations within the reasonable range of a frugal travelers budget. Well, the Gasthaus Hinterbruehl is one of those (quickly vanishing) rare finds. Offers the authentic-quaintness of a late 14th Century structure, clean & comfortable rooms with more than adequate amenities. Shared bathrooms were clean & functional. A nice traditional breakfast is included.....other meals are offered at (again, for the Altstadt) very reasonable prices.
IF you're fortunate enough to secure one of the (few) balconied rooms overlooking the small square in the direction of the center of the Altstadt, you've just put the "icing on the cake!"
Auf Wiederschauen !
VagaBob

• Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
6 Thank VagaBob
London
Reviewed 12 October 2008

I stayed in a south-facing single-room-with-sink, overlooking the car park/old town. Toilets were on the upstairs or downstairs half landing, and the shower room was virtually opposite my room. Shower creme and handwash provision was a welcome touch.

Another reviewer found noise a bit of a problem but I found the thick walls and double glazing helped keep noise at bay. I also liked the breakfast but was also taken aback at the relaxed attitude to smoking there (though this is an Austria-wide thing.)

All in all, I think this place would be hard to beat. I would echo what some other reviewers said: what this place lacks in practicality it makes up for in location, price (EUR42 for a single room) and charm.

• Liked — Quiet central location, value for money, charming characterful building
  • Disliked — Curtain did not exclude much light
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank AiberdeenLoons
montreal
Reviewed 8 August 2008

stayed two nights et the hintebruhl. Our room was tiny in the back of the building so very quiet. We completly had to re-arrange the room in order to fit our luggages. I put my luggage in front of the window (couldn't open the window anymore) and we got rid of the small tv to fit my friend's luggage on the table. We didn't have private facilities in our room which was fine. But the shower "closet" wasn't very attractive. We took our shower because it was so hot during the day or else we would have skipped it.
Compare to the other 4 pensions we stayed in during our trip in Austria, this was the least comfortable. Beds weren't has comfy; duvet weren't has soft (little rough even); and the bathroom and shower weren't that clean and inviting.
I have to say that the location is unbelievable. Just a few steps from the centre.
Breakfast were ok (standard) and restaurant smell like smoke, like it does almost everywhere in Austria.

• Stayed July 2008, travelled on business