“Cheap for this city, but...”

Hotel Haunsperger Hof
Ranked #115 of 132 Hotels in Salzburg
Moscow
“Cheap for this city, but...”
Reviewed 7 October 2012

The first thing... Everything is very expensive in this city. So it's difficult to find good hotel in the center for good money. This hotel is about 15 minutes walk from the train station.
The first thing I didn't like is terrible smell in the room. I don't know what it is, but it's not good. They even have air freshener there, but it doesn't help.
The second thing is early check out. You just can't do it. at 6 am reception is closed. They sleep. I called by the phone and somebody told that they can't come, because they are sleeping. It is very funny! So I couldn't pay for the number and went away without paying. Afterall I made a transaction from Moscow, but it is very strange situation in center of Europe. I wouls say that it is good 2stars hotel. I am not sure that I want to come back there one more time.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Pashaslon

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Korean first
  • Serbian first
Melbourne
Reviewed 18 September 2012

Stayed here as part of a tour group. Room was huge with great airconditioning, wifi and bathroom. Breakfast was disgusting, the service from the receptionist was appaulling. Just so rude and will not help. Take her out of it and the hotel itself is ok.. With her in it I'd look elsewhere.

Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Jem_1985
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 9 September 2012 via mobile

Walking distance to the city and close to a shopping centre for topping up necessities BUT the service of the woman at reception is shocking, the rooms are average at best and the breakfast was slop. Plenty of good hotels in Salzburg so have a look around as I am certain you could do better for your money.

Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank DarrynF

Travellers are raving about these Salzburg hotels

Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 August 2012

We have lots of complaints about this hotel.....

1. There was no air conditioning and the room was stiflingly HOT! We were given a fan but this was v loud and made it difficult for us to sleep. As there were 3 of us the fan wasn't adequate anyway.

2. The noise from traffic was extremely loud and went on all night.

3. The design of the bed meant that it was not possible for one person to sit up and read in bed using the integral light if others were trying to sleep. The centre light would not do for obvious reasons. Also my daughter banged her head on the back of the bed a number of times.

4. We asked for an alarm call which didn't come!! Luckily we did not miss our flight.

5. The choice at breakfast was very limited and the staff didn't seem to be able to cope with the number of people having breakfast.

6. The safe was broken!!

7. The hairdryer didn't work!!

8. The walk into town took more like 25mins than the 15mins quoted. I don't mind a 25min walk but would have liked to have known that in the first place.

9. Cable t.v was supposed to be provided and a list of available channels was provided in the room. However, we couldn't receive most of the channels and when we queried this we were told that cable is only available in certain rooms i.e not ours!!

Obviously we would not recommend this hotel!!

Room Tip: Maybe an upstairs room would be cooler and less noisy
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Jane F
Bristol UK
Reviewed 10 June 2012

A frankly very poor hotel for Austria, where standards of cleanliness, hospitality and service are normally much higher. The only plus is the location - 2 minutes from the river, 20 minute walk to the City Centre or No.1 bus from round the corner. The rooms are tired and not particularly clean, the breakfast is bare minimum standard, there is quite a lot of road noise, no air conditioning and decidedly dodgy wi-fi and we found piles of furniture and bedding constantly blocking corridors. As others have said (with one exception) the staff are surly, rude, unhelpful and spend a considerable proportion of their time lounging in the reception area smoking, thus the whole building permanently smells of stale tobacco smoke. All the infra-structure is there - needs a paintbrush and proper management - until then, avoid.

Room Tip: Ask for a refurbished room - on the noisier side but appeared cleaner.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank ClarissaBristolUK
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed 27 March 2012

Too poor, it's a family busyness .... most of the time you can't find no one at the reception... The breakfast is too average... and I won't say nothing more B'coz you probably understand the issue ....

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Al0n_C
Auckland
Reviewed 24 March 2012

My friend and I arrived on a tour. We were given a room that they had made up part of the bed for one person, and the fold out single armchair couch for the other (so we just transferred the blankets on to the other part of the bed). The staff were unfriendly and one guy constantly chain smoked in what was the lobby - so disgusting. My friend was sick so stayed behind in the room while we went out for dinner, and as the doors are archaic and cannot lock without the key, i left the key with her. Another girl and I went out after dinner, and her roomate had also taken her key. So when we arrived back at 1am, there is no night porter after 11, so we couldn't gain access to the hotel. We tried unsuccessfully to ring our tour leader, and others on the trip, and then tried the number on the front of the hotel (it said to ring after 11pm). After the 5th try I finally got through to a woman, who spoke to me in German then hung up. So so rude! As it was snowing there was no way we were staying outside, so we ended up walking to the hotel up the road, hotel Hohenstauffen, and checked in there at 2am, just to check out at 7am the next morning and catch our coach. I wish the tour had booked this hotel it was so much better. I would definitely not recommend this place. I can't rate the sleep as I never got to sleep there!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends