“Charming, offbeat, & a delightful stay”
Review of Haus Wartenberg

Haus Wartenberg
Ranked #77 of 132 Hotels in Salzburg
Reviewed 6 October 2009

First off, my partner and I are always looking for interesting, not mainstream chain-hotels to stay in...Haus Wartenberg definitely fits this description. The house is a charming, old-world place where there is a sense of family and simplicity. As proof, we arrived on our first night where a wedding reception was taking place, and we experienced our first taste of Austrian culture! The owner (Johannes) and his family live in the house. The staff was always very helpful and attentive to any of our requests (using the Internet, doing laundry). The room was spacious and clean, and overlooked the front garden. It could be noisy at times when the windows were left open, as guests were outside in the front garden, or the children of the owner played energetically outside! There are renovations in progress, but nothing that detracted from our experience.
Breakfast was simple and satisfying, and the hidden gem is the restaurant that is a part of the house. The food is simple and classic, and very tasty and reasonably priced. It was a delight (and convenient) to eat in the restaurant.
Haus Wartenberg is located outside the Altstadt, however you can easily walk to the Altstadt (10-15 minutes). I recommned renting bikes, as it is a lovely and easy way to get around Salzburg. This is a bike-friendly city!

All in all, this was a nice and peaceful stay in Salzburg...I think this hotel fits a certain type of traveller who is not expecting perfection, but who appreciates the small, cozy, and simple amenities Haus Wartenberg provides. We would stay there again.
It is probably a good idea to talk directly to the owner about the layout and features of the room to ensure you get a room that meets your needs (we booked a larger room meant for 3 people, but appreciated the extra room since we were there for 5 days...)

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 17 July 2009

I have to agree with another review that the photos on the internet are misleading. Although the house is charming in it's old-world style you have to be willing to overlook plaster peeling walls, holes in paintings, cobwebs, unfinished renovations, and rubbish in the front lawn. It reminded me of Miss Havisham's home from Great Expectations. Having said that, the positive aspects include a very friendly staff. Johannes let us use the washer & dryer at not charge and was accommodating with locating a tv which was actually an old computer monitor.

Some rooms are nicer than others so it depends what you get. Bed linens were clean and we received daily service, but you have to request it. My main complaint was that there were a lot of heavy smokers staying on our floor which permeated throughout the hotel.
It's a 15-20 minute walk into aldstadt which was fine for us. Overall, if you are looking for an alternative place to stay then Haus Wartenburg is for you. But be warned about the smokey rooms & still unfinished floorboards, plastering, cobwebs, etc.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 July 2009

It looked good on the Internet, but not so in reality. Something has happened - the quaint garden has turned into a rubbish pile! This place is a disgrace and appears to be undergoing poorly-executed renovations. The front yard is full of building refuse and the back yard looks like a rubbish tip. The rooms are just tolerable, but we couldn't have stayed more than one night here. We weren't game to try the breakfast and ate elsewhere. This place should be avoided, as it obviously run by amateurs and they charge too much for what they offer.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 May 2009

We were most surprised at how close we were to the town centre.
Nice quiet situation with good rooms.
Breakfast was very good and included in the room price. Dinner were also very good.
Johannes was very helpful and even gave us a ride back to the train station which we appreciated.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 April 2009

This is not a great hotel for someone looking for the typical chain experience. This is a place that is unique and added to my experience immensely. I stayed here for Easter and the staff were attentive and sweet even when I called them once for more towels and then again about 15 minutes later asking for glasses to be brought up to the room. I arrived from the train statoin, and I'm glad I took a taxi there because I'm not very good with maps. The taxi ride cost about 10 Euro. The streets are very walkable, and even though I had a room facing the street, it is some distance from the street itself and I was able to sleep with the windows open. The bedding was colorful, and there was a table and desk in the room that matched the green bed. The curtains were very cute and added to the ambiance. The floorboards must be quite old because they are so wide. The bathroom opens up from the little foyer and is separated from the main bedroom by a glass panel. This might not be ideal for all travelers, but I'm not sure if all the rooms were like this. I'm sure you can ask when making the reservation. In general, I felt like the staff bent over backwards to make sure my stay was as delightful as it was - and all this when I speak no German.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 April 2009

Very friendly from reservations. We were two couples and we stayed two nights. We get a very small room and our friends a bigger and brighter room with nice furnishing. The house seems an old family house ri-arranged in a B&B. At the end we payed a little bit less because our room was smaller, but they suggest it to us, we didn't ask for it. The strange thing is that they don't make up the room and didn't change towels because we didn't ask for it, but reading other traveller's reviews it seems normal for this town. The breakfast is good and you have to walk 10-15 minutes to go to city centre, but it is not an annoying walk. Kitzbuhel ski station is only 1 hour far, and it's worth to go there to see the town and skiing.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 June 2008

not certain how to best make reservations, I contacted the hotel directly via email and received very prompt and friendly communication from the owner, Johannes. Despite not having more than an email confirmation, I felt very comfortable and things worked out well (website for hotel is hauswartenberg.com) The rooms are well kept, clean, comfortable, and spacious, while maintaining the unique originality of the structure and decor. It was probably a 20-30min comfortable walk to either town or the Stiegl, breakfast was nice and the staff very accommodating. I would recommend this to anyone staying in Salzburg willing to stay a hair out of town center for a more quaint/unique experience.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)