“Great View - Good Food - Watch out for pay by weight”
Review of Fisch Krieg

Fisch Krieg
Ranked #14 of 55 Shopping in Salzburg
Greenwood, Indiana
254 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 237 helpful votes
“Great View - Good Food - Watch out for pay by weight”
Reviewed 10 October 2013

We learned of this place from our Rick Steve's guide and decided to try it.
Based on where we were, I decided to try the trout. When asked if I wanted a large piece or small, I said large. I had not read the menu carefully enough and it clearly stated a certain price per 100 grams. So I ended up paying nearly 10 Euro for a very nicely prepared and plated fish dinner. All told, with sides and drinks, we spent just over 24 Euro. I suspect had we been more alert, it could have been under 20 Euro, but it is quite good and the seating right on the river walk is superb. One other note, the place is right at the foot of one of the pedestrian bridges and houses public WC's. when we were there, there were a couple of guys down by the bridge (50 meters) who were pretty drunk and noisy. This is clearly out of the control of the restaurant, but was nonetheless a factor in disturbing a nice lunch.

Visited October 2013

Buffalo, New York
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Take a break from Wurstel”
Reviewed 28 September 2013

This small restaurant/fish market came highly recommended in Rick Steves' guidebook. It is located on the Salzach River, adjacent to the bikepath. Outdoor seating is available in good weather. There is a tree growing through the center of the building, roughly separating the cooking area from the seating and the fish market. You can order from the picture menu on the wall, and the friendly staff - English capable - allows substitutions [i.e. french fries vs. potato salad]. You pick the size of the very fresh filet, which is lightly breaded, not battered. I will be coming back for the paella. Our filets were melt-in-your-mouth; although the frozen french fries were put in the deep-fryer from a plastic bag, the oil used made them light and crisp. Draft beer and wines were available, reasonably priced and a big pour. During your meal, overlooking new Salzburg across the river, people ride and walk by on the bike path. Take a break from the regular meat offerings in most restaurants and enjoy this tasty seafood place. Our two dinners plus drinks were just under E 24.

Visited September 2013
1 Thank Joseph T
Tandragee, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Nice place for lunch”
Reviewed 10 July 2013

We went here for lunch during a day trip to salzburg as it was recommended in Our guide book. Initially had problems ordering as my German very limited and didn't know what all the fish on display were. What we got though was really tasty and reasonably healthy with good sized portions. Even my fussy six year old enjoyed his fish cake so that's a successful lunch in my opinion.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank Val_B1056083
Singapore
489 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 363 helpful votes
“Pleasant place for a no-frills meal”
Reviewed 20 January 2013

I totally agree with the previous reviewer who suggested that this place should be classified as a restaurant instead of an attraction - indeed, there isn't anything to sightsee here.

I wasn't expecting to find a seafood place in Salzburg since Austrian food is usually meat-based. However, this was a good place to sit down, kick back, and enjoy a good seafood meal and the views across the Salzach River without paying over the top prices. Arriving only an hour before closing time, I chose the salmon steaks with roast potatoes - pretty tasty. And along with a drink, it probably cost me around 8.50 Euros. For that sort of price in an expensive city like Salzburg, that's not that easy to find.

Visited October 2012
2 Thank ianwyj
Frankfurt
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 50 helpful votes
“a great spot for lunch”
Reviewed 9 July 2012

I am not sure why this is listed as an attraction rather than a restaurant. We really enjoyed stopping here for lunch.
This little cafe is located right on the river-bank and its outdoor seating is the perfect place to rest midday and enjoy some people-watching while eating.
This is a cafeteria-style restaurant: you order at the counter and carry your meal on a tray. But the fish is all cooked fresh when ordered, and it was delicious. I recommend the grilled salmon. Not a lot of English spoken, but the menu is all pictures.

Visited July 2012